brown thomas goes fur free (2 Viewers)

magicbastarder

Supporter
Website
stroma.org
Top department store goes fur free

One of the country's most exclusive department stores is shelving its tradition of selling animal fur products, it emerged today.
Brown Thomas will initiate a 'no fur' policy from February, with management insisting it was taking animal welfare into account.
The move has been welcomed by animal rights activists, who in recent months have campaigned outside the store's Grafton Street branch during peak shopping hours.
Brown Thomas stores in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway will only sell synthetic fur, or leather, suede, sheepskin, and shearling. "This decision has been taken in consideration of all issues surrounding animal welfare," said a Brown Thomas spokeswoman.
"To date the Brown Thomas Group has operated a strict policy of stocking only items made from skins of animals in the food chain. "Stephen Sealey, the Brown Thomas Group Buying Director for Fashions and Accessories, has already communicated this policy to all suppliers to Brown Thomas and BT2 stores."
Action groups AFAR, ARAN, ALiberation and CAFT Ireland said they collected thousands of signatures for a petition to boycott Brown Thomas until they went fur free.
The chain has joined a growing list of influential designers and stores that have removed themselves from the fur trade including Marks & Spencer, Dunnes Stores, Debenhams, Next, Top Shop, and Karen Millen.
Ed Long, of ALiberation action group, said having no real fur sold in Brown Thomas or BT2 stores will be a significant blow to the fur industry in this country, which he claims kills 170,000 animals in six fur farms in Ireland each year. "Fur is cruel and unnecessary," he said.
"Nobody will die from not wearing fur except the animal who will have been caged for their entire life. "In the past other large stores had committed to a fur free policy only to then betray the public and later sell fur. We trust that Brown Thomas will be faithful to their word."
Campaigners will celebrate National Fur Free Day next Saturday to call on other chains across the country to follow Brown Thomas's lead.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/1210/breaking74.htm

Can someone explain to me why people, who wear leather and eat meat, get furiously worked up about fur jackets. The vast majority of these items are from farmed animals.

To me it feels like a soft target.

If you are concerned about animals dying, protest outside your butchers.

Anyway, wearing an animals skin for a couple of years is more respectful than swallowing its flesh, and shitting it out the next day, no?

If the animal is going to die anyway to provide meat to meet my dietary protein needs then I feel much better wearing something made from its pelt that I would thinking that pelt was going to waste somewhere. Where do people stand on down pillows and duvets?

If the animal is going to die anyway to provide meat to meet my dietary protein needs then I feel much better wearing something made from its pelt that I would thinking that pelt was going to waste somewhere. Where do people stand on down pillows and duvets?

CanOfWorms.jpg

Can someone explain to me why people, who wear leather and eat meat, get furiously worked up about fur jackets. The vast majority of these items are from farmed animals.

I've heard a lot of people who fall into this category explain it away by saying that leather is a by-product of the meat industry. I also heard that leather accounts for 50% of the profit to be got from a cow so it's hardly a by-product, but I read that in some of my pro-vegan propaganda so I'm not sure if it's accurate.

Where do people stand on down pillows and duvets?

They're too heavy and smell weird.

the conditions of the farm have a lot to do with it.
mink are raised with no access to water, bar drinking water. for a mink, that's as stressful as starvation, if biochemical stress indicators are anything to go by.
plus, mink regularly escape and are not a good invasive species to have.

See, the thing is, people dont need to eat meat to get your dietary protein needs though. Or at least "people" dont need to eat anywhere as much meat as the do at the very least.
People eat primarily meat because they like its taste, and nutritional needs are a distant second to that.

I've heard a lot of people who fall into this category explain it away by saying that leather is a by-product of the meat industry. I also heard that leather accounts for 50% of the profit to be got from a cow so it's hardly a by-product, but I read that in some of my pro-vegan propaganda so I'm not sure if it's accurate.

So, hold on, this seems to depend on the definition of by-product.
If something is a by product its ok?

And we are also back to the assumption that its totally OK to kill the animals to eat its meat, from animals like cows, and then use their leather since they are dead anyway, but its not ok to kill some animals just to get their fur.

How about if people eat the rabbits afterwards. Then the fur is a by product. Then we are totally fine?

This is the central thing I am confused about.

I have a feeling that its to do with the animals fluffiness.
eg
Fluffy animals != ok to kill,
but
Stupid cows == ok to kill.

How about if people eat the rabbits afterwards. Then the fur is a by product. Then we are totally fine?
well, i think using up as much of an animal as possible makes it a lot more excusable than raising several animals for a single fashion accessory and junking the non-fur parts.

i used to have these great mink gloves on the inside and on the top and the grips are made from leather. soooo warm i looked a bit like wolverine when i was out on my moped. i think its fine to use gloves and pelts and the like that used to be your mams or are second hand but knowing the undue suffering they go through and know its not for my belly only to make me look good i totally disagree with it

i've been unable to find a gary larson cartoon online which i think kinda succinctly sums up the argument; it's an elephant in a phone box, with a crutch and one leg missing, the stump bandaged up. in one corner is pictured a wastebasket made obviously from his leg, and the elephant is saying 'they did WHAT with it?' into the phone.

i used to have these great mink gloves on the inside and on the top and the grips are made from leather. soooo warm i looked a bit like wolverine when i was out on my moped. i think its fine to use gloves and pelts and the like that used to be your mams or are second hand but knowing the undue suffering they go through and know its not for my belly only to make me look good i totally disagree with it
fat-moped.jpg

the conditions of the farm have a lot to do with it.
mink are raised with no access to water, bar drinking water. for a mink, that's as stressful as starvation, if biochemical stress indicators are anything to go by.
plus, mink regularly escape and are not a good invasive species to have.

Alright. So, the argument is that fur farms are often more harsh than meat farms, right?
I can see that I suppose. Maybe. I have no idea really one way or the other.

But, that is a real argument, an actual reason against fur.
All the other arguments seem like they are semantic.

i've been unable to find a gary larson cartoon online which i think kinda succinctly sums up the argument; it's an elephant in a phone box, with a crutch and one leg missing, the stump bandaged up. in one corner is pictured a wastebasket made obviously from his leg, and the elephant is saying 'they did WHAT with it?' into the phone.

The thing is though... its all or nothing right?
We either can kill animals for our purposes... or not.

Just because we think they are tasty and juicy, or fluffy and warm doesn't make it ok or not ok.
Its a fundamental thing.
If you are happy to allow animals to be killed for burgers and chops, grand so. Then you are happy for them to be killed for warm jackets.

Eoghan's lovely moped gloves are going to last him a lot longer than a juicy steak.
Therefore, if anything its more acceptable to kill a bunny for fur than it is to eat it.

well, i find killing say five mink purely to sell someone an over priced coat far less easy to excuse than killing a cow for a couple of hundred meals worth of meat (anyone know how much food is available on your average cow?), leather, bones, etc.

am slowly weaning myself off meat for several reasons, one being i'd prefer not have to kill things to eat.

See, the thing is, people dont need to eat meat to get your dietary protein needs though. Or at least "people" dont need to eat anywhere as much meat as the do at the very least.
People eat primarily meat because they like its taste, and nutritional needs are a distant second to that.

So, hold on, this seems to depend on the definition of by-product.
If something is a by product its ok?

And we are also back to the assumption that its totally OK to kill the animals to eat its meat, from animals like cows, and then use their leather since they are dead anyway, but its not ok to kill some animals just to get their fur.

This is the central thing I am confused about.

I have a feeling that its to do with the animals fluffiness.
eg
Fluffy animals != ok to kill,
but
Stupid cows == ok to kill.

No no no! You misunderstand me. I'm a vegan and I hate fur and leather. I'm just trying to understand why people would be against fur and think leather is ok. Years ago I would have just said it's "cos they're arseholes" and leave it at. Nowadays I'm not as narrow minded in my views (in some ways, in others I'm waaaay worse). And what I wanted to mention as well was that getting information about these things if difficult as people both consciously and unconsciously will present the "facts" in a way that supports their position whether they're pro or anti.

well, i find killing say five mink purely to sell someone an over priced coat far less easy to excuse than killing a cow for a couple of hundred meals worth of meat (anyone know how much food is available on your average cow?), leather, bones, etc.

am slowly weaning myself off meat for several reasons, one being i'd prefer not have to kill things to eat.

I see. And even if the jacket was really warm, and lasted for ages this wouldn't make up for it?

Like, most people dont really need to eat meat at all. And the clothing will really last and be much loved.

More loved than a batter burger for instance. Even maybe a 500 batter burgers.

by flashback "The thing is though... its all or nothing right?We either can kill animals for our purposes... or not." i think it should be all. like in china for example on chickens they use every single part of the animal except the actual feathers and its the same witha lot of animals over there although they have different dietary needs to us they use everything that can be used. i think this is right instead of letting things go to waste as we do in western society. i'm not going to give excuses for myself i like the taste of meat superquinn sausages in particular, so i cant defend in the indefensible for long but i cant attack it either as i will always eat and buy these products

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back