Britpop backlash (3 Viewers)

Oh dear....

YiwlkM2.jpg

Jaysus.

Of all the bands to stay together. No one liked Republica except vodafone. They weren't really even britpop were they? Just an even poorer version of Garbage

Jaysus.

Of all the bands to stay together. No one liked Republica except vodafone. They weren't really even britpop were they? Just an even poorer version of Garbage

Didn't they start a song with the emergency broadcast warning from the US?
Elastica I mean.
Points for that.

Garbage were a project. A Eurythmics for the 90s

Making millions by ripping off artists was retro... Even in the '90s.

Whatever, all that early Wire stuff has always left me pretty cold anyway.

Oh so serious white boys who allegedly want invert what rock music is about suddenly get concerned about their classic rock songwriting credits.

You'd think Wire would have appreciated someone lifting a few riffs and doing something new with them.

Everyone owes everyone.

What about Jack White being outraged at the Black Keys for stealing his mojo or whatever, when Jimmy Page could do the same for him and the list Page & Co. nicked off is likely endless.

Sorry, this was for the Bo Diddley comment. Not retyping.

Whatever, all that early Wire stuff has always left me pretty cold anyway.

Oh so serious white boys
who allegedly want invert what rock music is about suddenly get concerned about their classic rock songwriting credits.

Err... I'm slightly concerned that your impression of wire is based not on wire the band, but on what rock journalists write about them.

Wire was like Blur, not the Smiths. The told lots of little jokes in their songs and loved making noise. In that respect think Sonic Youth, not Glen Branca or John Cage.

They also loved pop songs. Which is how bands like Elastica and REM managed to be so influenced by them.

You don't have to like wire; obviously you don't. But don't dislike them because you think they're pretentious or whatever - too serious - they weren't. They were passionate and clever and funny and talented and credible, but they weren't snobs or music academics.

Sorry, if I misunderstood you, but man... the first two wire records are highlights of 70s music IMO.

:D

Oh and "classic rock riffs"? Have you ever really listened to them? Credence Clearwater Revival they are not.

By the by, Elastica ripped off wire a few years later on Human. Just ripped them off, even after having been busted for ripping them off twice (and the Stranglers) on their debut.

It's ok I guess, but... If you can't write songs, then why not just sample the things you love, pay for them, and give them writing credit? Why pretend you wrote something you didn't? That's the lame thing IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back