Bright Eyes (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I bought this Bright Eyes cd last week called Lifted or the Story is in the Soil. It REALLY reminds me of somebody but I just can't figure out who, maybe Will Oldham if he really let fly..

Anyway I really like it (at least I think I do, its hard to say, for some reason) but I hear he's a bit hit and miss. Anybody know if any of his other albums are worth buying..?

s'deadly ablum that... curazy production on it... and Bowl of Oranges is an amaaaaaazing song... wouldent compare him to wil oldham buh...
there is another of his wekkas called Letting off the Happiness which i really like as well...
the girls from Azure Ray do a bit of vocals on Lifted... i highly reccomend them... although if you get their last album Hold On Love, skip the first 2 songs then yer lafin...

letting of the happiness is much more lo-fi. all done on 8-track in a basement. the first track acoustic guitar and vacuum cleaner. fevers and mirrors is "properly" produced but is even more hit and miss and features some dire shit (arienette, the first track) and some amazing stuff (centre of the world, haligh haligh) and also a fake radio interview with bright eyes (conor oberst) where he plays up to his whine-rock image which either will piss you off greatly or amuse you greatly depending on whether you can stomach bright eyes at all. its not nearly as overblown as lifted... but i like them both.

the first song with the vaccume cleaner is my favorite song of his, and coast calls it dire shit... this is prolly what they mean by hit and miss Jim...

coast to coast said:
also a fake radio interview with bright eyes (conor oberst) where he plays up to his whine-rock image which either will piss you off greatly or amuse you greatly depending on whether you can stomach bright eyes at all
apparantly it's not even him doing the interview at all, just one of his mates taking the piss outta him.
Fevers & Mirrors is my favourite Bright Eyes album.
some of his EPs are really good as well, Every Day & Every Night and Don't Be Afraid Of Turning The Page especially.
i find Letting Off The Happiness to be kinda hitNmiss.

Ian said:
s'deadly ablum that... curazy production on it... and Bowl of Oranges is an amaaaaaazing song... wouldent compare him to wil oldham buh...
there is another of his wekkas called Letting off the Happiness which i really like as well...
the girls from Azure Ray do a bit of vocals on Lifted... i highly reccomend them... although if you get their last album Hold On Love, skip the first 2 songs then yer lafin...

Thanks for that. It only slightly reminds me of Will Oldham in that its production reminds me of early Palace Brothers records. I have this old recording of Palace Brothers singing "Ohio River Boat Song" in the Baggot Inn of all places (recorded off Alices Restaurant 109fm), and the Bonnie Price gets very emotional at the end, practically crying/ screeching. Thats what Bright Eyes reminds me of....which is good...

i saw brights eyes guy playin in galway a few years ago - his band were great but he was such a dick. ruined everysong with his incessant whining and drowned out the band whose subtle accompaniment was lost to his ego. i think he was totally twisted drunk. at the end hey threw a tantrum and stood on his chair in an attempt to execute a 2 foot "stage dive" but he slipped and fell in a heap on top of his guitar and then stormed off. i was glad to see him go.

Jimcorr said:
I have this old recording of Palace Brothers singing "Ohio River Boat Song" in the Baggot Inn of all places (recorded off Alices Restaurant 109fm), and the Bonnie Price gets very emotional at the end, practically crying/ screeching. Thats what Bright Eyes reminds me of....which is good...
I remember this. The whole buzz at the time was that the Palace Brothers were basically Slint Mk II so I was abit taken aback by the country vibes. Not to mention the weirdo on vocals. Great gig though. They then played in TCD buttery bar the night after to the absolute disinterest of the assembled prick TCD students (most of them are probably now rabid Oldham fans after Hansard told them he was cool).

enchance said:
yeah, he was completely off his head on something when they played whelans last.

He was indeed a total pricko at that gig. He didn't seem to be wanting to play at all.
Fevers and Mirrors is my favourite by him but you could do worse than pick up this amazing box set. It has pretty much most of the stuff you'll ever need to hear by Bright Eyes. I got it for 40 snots in Tower over Christmas. Sweet.

i saw that in city discs the other day, less than 40 bucks i think

Jimcorr said:
I have this old recording of Palace Brothers singing "Ohio River Boat Song" in the Baggot Inn of all places (recorded off Alices Restaurant 109fm), and the Bonnie Price gets very emotional at the end, practically crying/ screeching.
Aye, I played that on AR years ago. I lost my tape of that gig. Beardo got them to do a desk recording. Quality was ace.

Had to book the Palace types in UCD and Trinity at the time cos I couldn't find any other buggers who'd put them on other'n Shane Fitzsimons in Cork and Pete O'Neill in Belfast. Had they been on No Disco first it would've been all different and I could've made a packet. Ah well. The Baggot gig made £1 profit.

i'm broker than a very broke thing
and there's other stuff i want first

i am an unashamed Saddle Creek lover... Desperacidos, Conor Obersts other band, are class too... same goes for Cursive, Now Its Overhead, Azure Ray and The Good Life...

The Faint, however, are complete bollocks

old said:
Aye, I played that on AR years ago. I lost my tape of that gig. Beardo got them to do a desk recording. Quality was ace.

Had to book the Palace types in UCD and Trinity at the time cos I couldn't find any other buggers who'd put them on other'n Shane Fitzsimons in Cork and Pete O'Neill in Belfast. Had they been on No Disco first it would've been all different and I could've made a packet. Ah well. The Baggot gig made £1 profit.
thats gigs legendary!

nice hair dude;)

old said:

Really? fair play! Its my favourite Will Oldham recording ever! I played it constantly. I'd be listening to it on walkman walks and old ladies would ask me if I was "alright dear".
I still have it on some tape somewhere, the quality of which has sadly diminished somewhat....
Alices Restaurant, God Bless, those were the days....

Alan Remorse said:
i am an unashamed Saddle Creek lover... Desperacidos, Conor Obersts other band, are class too... same goes for Cursive, Now Its Overhead, Azure Ray and The Good Life...

The Faint, however, are complete bollocks

I got the saddle creek double cd sampler thingum just for my love of all things Azure Ray... I really like Bright eyes, but only have a couple of things so I wouldent call myself a fan... but i found most of the other stuff on offer on the sampler pretty underwhelming, in fact it was hard to distinguish one from the other... It it possable to be too indie, white and american?

what stood out were the two acts I love anyway...

Where's a good place to start with now its overheard? is herself from azure ray just on keyboards or can I hear her voice too?

the bright eyes boxset is really good.
would have liked some more artwork,the sleeves are really boring but overall its a good buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back