Brian Kerr (1 Viewer)

It seems to me that Bian Kerr was allways going to be the man . Firstly he was going to cost the least amount of money . How much is he on at the moment ??????????

He was never going to be too demanding on the FAI 's budget . I do think he was the best man on the shortlist available but the way the whole interview thingy went was a farce . If Martin O Neill or Alex Ferguson were out of a job would they have to be interviewed by Brian Hamilton . I think not .

Everyone one on that so called shortlist apart from Brian Kerr are out of managerial work and it is not like AC Milan or Barcelona will be knocking on Bryan Robson or Frank Stapletons door .

If I had my choice it would have been Joe Kinnear but he was never going to available for interview when he is already employed at another club .

Having said all that I'm Lookin forward to some common sense at last . Finally we will see Duff on the left where he will terrorise any defender in the world . We will also see John O Shea at the back and no more stupid decisions like bringing on Phill Babb to snatch an equaliser when you are one down .

Here is to the future . Hopefully we get to portugal . I will sell everything to be there if we qualify .

Seems to be confirmed.
Pay is apparently €350,000 per annum.
From Football Unlimited/Guardian:

Brian Kerr has been appointed as the Republic of Ireland's new manager.
The 49-year-old Dubliner has been the highly successful boss of the Republic's youth team for the past six years.

Details of Kerr's contract will be unveiled at a press conference in Dublin's Shelbourne Hotel tomorrow.

Kerr's first match in charge of the Republic will be a friendly against Scotland at Hampden Park on February 12.

It is widely expected that Chris Hughton will be his part-time assistant. Kerr, who steered Ireland youth team to European titles at under-18 and under-16 level, has landed the job ahead of the likes of Bryan Robson, Peter Reid, John Aldridge and Philippe Troussier.

It is understood that Kerr won a 2-1 vote from an FAI selection panel, to get the job ahead of former Middlesbrough boss Robson.

Kerr was responsible for first introducing Robbie Keane, John O'Shea and Damien Duff to the international scene.

And last week his latest batch of under-20s won the four-nation tournament in Abu Dhabi against host nation United Arab Emirates, South Korea and France.

Kerr's charges are due to return from the United Arab Emirates in March-April for the Under-20 World Cup finals, which England have also qualified for.

Former Republic international Ray Houghton feels Kerr's knowledge of the younger players in the squad will stand him in good stead.

Houghton, who famously scored the goal which beat Italy 1-0 in New York during the 1994 World Cup finals,said: "It's no real surprise and I am sorry for the other candidates.

"They were all quality and we have got to wait and see and give Brian Kerr time; he has to take advantage of the opportunity.

"He worked with the likes of Damien Duff and Robbie Keane, so he knows the younger players who are now playing in the senior side.

"He is a very good coach and it is just whether he adjusts to the fact that these players are now men and multi-millionaires."

On whether he believed Kerr could convince former skipper Roy Keane to go back on his decision to retire from international football, Houghton reflected: "I don't think even Bryan Robson would have tempted Roy Keane back, so it's a dead duck as far as I am concerned.

"He has just got to get on with the job.

"I am sure all he wants to do now is let everyone know he is the new man and get himself and the players ready for the games ahead.

"I don't think he would be blamed if we don't get to Euro 2004 but he could be a hero if Ireland get through."

Republic of Ireland Under-21 coach Don Givens said Kerr would be a popular appointment: "He'll bring great enthusiasm to the job, he's very thorough in his approach to games, no matter what level they are at.

"He knows the players, he's had a few of them through his hands before and he'll give it his best shot that's for sure.

Asked whether he would make a success of the appointment, Givens said: "In the long run it always comes down to a little bit of luck.

"Sometimes between defeat and victory there can be a fine line, and with a little luck who knows what would happen?

"Whoever got the job had a hard act to follow. Mick McCarthy did a fantastic job and Brian will be giving it everything he's got.

"We're a small nation football-wise, so for us to have won the Under-16 and Under-18 Championships is remarkable and Brian was responsible for that.

"Seeing what the team has done, expectation levels are way above what they should be and part of that has been done by Brian at under-age level and Mick McCarthy at senior level."

The best choice available in my opinion.
Still its going to be very tough to qualify for Portugal.
A team with Duff, Robbie Keane, Given, Finnan, Carr, O'Shea and some good players coming up (Partridge, Ried) and hopefully Roy Keane could do well.

yeah, i'll probably be giving out bout him in a year or too, but for now, deadly.
andy townsend had a go at kerr, the bollix. no-one in britsville has a fucking clue whats going on at all...
jack charlton said he was 'confused' at the decision.

hmmnn.. interesting reaction...

you are too late john...the boat has already sailed.

he was in my eyes the best man for the job...but it's all gone pear shaped now...

Former Real Madrid coach John Toshack has resigned from his job at Serie B club Catania after less than three months in charge.

Toshack announced the move today following criticism by club president Riccardo Gaucci.

'I could not tolerate a lack of respect in terms of my players and my work,' said the Welshman.

Gaucci said: 'My son received a call today from John Toshack saying that he is quitting.'

The president was highly critical of Toshack's team selection after Monday's 1-0 defeat by Napoli.

He said: 'He made us play with a Serie C defence when I have bought him reinforcements. He could have said something before and I would not have looked at the market.'

The Sicilian club are just one point clear of the relegation zone after collecting 21 points from 20 matches.

Toshack, previously coach of Real Sociedad and manager of Swansea, has won four matches and has lost six in his 10 games in charge of Catania.

Originally posted by Winty
Do you think Toshack's a good manager Littbarsaki? He's never done too well at any of his clubs.

he was a decent player and a fairly good manager in fairness with a wealth of experience on the major stage with an impressive track record...and after seing his post match analysis on RTE a while ago, an intelligent and eloquent man with an astute footballing mind...in my opinion anyway

check out his bio...

Born in 1949 in Cardiff, he signed professional terms with Cardiff City in 1966 and went on to be a Welsh Cup winner in 1968, 1969 and 1970. In 1970 he was signed by Liverpool. A powerful centre forward, he forged a great partnership with Kevin Keegan. Toshack won three league championships in 1973, 1976 and 1977, the FA Cup in 1974 and two UEFA Cups in 1973 and 1976. In his eight seasons at Liverpool he played more than 200 games, scoring 95 goals, while he also won 40 caps and scored 13 goals for Wales. In '79 he became player-coach at Swansea City, moving from Liverpool on a free transfer. He achieved massive success, taking the Welsh club from the English fourth division to the first division and completing a second hat-trick of Welsh Cup wins, from 1981-83. In '84 he began his European managerial career at Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon. A year later he signed as coach of Real Sociedad of Spain and won the Spanish Cup in 1987; the following season he guided the side to second place in the league. In 1989 he was appointed Real Madrid coach and won league championship in his first season in charge, as the side scored 107 first division goals -- a record that still stands. However, a year later he was sacked 11 games into the season. He returned to Sociedad, originally as an adviser and later as head coach in 1991. In '94 he began his short international career when he was appointed Wales coach on a part-time basis after the sacking of Terry Yorath, but resigned after just one game in charge, a 3-1 defeat by Norway. He left Real Sociedad later that year and was appointed coach of Deportivo Coruna in 1995. In early '97 Toshack was appointed coach of Turkish club Besiktas. Last year he was appointed coach of Real Madrid for the second time and guided them to second place in the Spanish first division, behind arch-rivals Barcelona, thus securing a place in the Champions League. He was replaced in November last year by former Real player Vicente Del Bosque.

There's no doubt he was an excellent player. I'm not so sure about his analysis - I can't remember too well but I think he was quite good though I'm sure I've seen better. And he does have plenty of experience at a very high level as a manager. However his track record isn't all that good. He's never done anything much with any of his teams (with the exception of Swansea I note from his bio) apart from one Spanish league title with Real. It speaks volumes that he's never survived a long time at any of his clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back