Brian Kerr: Strength to Strength (2 Viewers)

at 2-0 up, at home? no, there was no ill luck there, just poor judgement. same in isreal. same in switzerland. and at home to switzerland... no ill luck there, just no motivation whatsoever.

They went out at them hammer and tongs, went 2-0 up, had a goal disallowed, and took their foot off the gas.
Robbie took himself off after some knock or other and they went to shit.
There was plenty of blame to go around for the complacency. If you need someone else to get you motivated for a qualifier in the World fecking Cup, what are you?

I never thought they took the man seriously, to be honest. "I play in the Premiership, what have you done?"

But with a smidgen of luck and a a few less cunts against Israel at home we'd have qualified for a play-off, been drawn against (who did Suisse get who made a show of themselves? Turkey?) and then would've gone to the World Cup and most likely performed well. No one gives a shit how you get there. And we very very nearly did.

I don't know about performing well if we got there, but it was a fairly close run thing.

Israel's not even in Europe btw

Israel's not even in Europe btw

I know, the cunts.

I might take up some kind of Tevez/Sheff Utd. style lawsuit against Dudu Awat, that Greek ref, Andy O'Brien, UEFA, the entire Israeli population and Brian Kerr (for sending on Graham Kavanagh) to compensate for perceived loss of quality piss-up opportunities.

But with a smidgen of luck and a a few less cunts against Israel at home we'd have qualified for a play-off, been drawn against (who did Suisse get who made a show of themselves? Turkey?) and then would've gone to the World Cup and most likely performed well. No one gives a shit how you get there. And we very very nearly did.
but it's not about luck!! that groups was very winnable. kerr was waaaaaay too defensive. the teams he put out never had any self belief. i just think he was really poor at that level. not unlucky. but of course, stan made him look like beckenbauer.

but it's not about luck!! that groups was very winnable. kerr was waaaaaay too defensive. the teams he put out never had any self belief. i just think he was really poor at that level. not unlucky. but of course, stan made him look like beckenbauer.

Fortunately we're so much less defensive now.

Trapattoni has at least set out his stall as a defensive minded coach from the off, and tried to build his team around that tactic.. Kerr's teams felt like they were defensive by default, because we were afraid to attack or try anything (except in the first 10 or 15 minutes of each game, before the paralysis set in). He had them playing some great, positive, passing football in the friendlies (e.g. Holland '04) and then seemed to totally lose his nerve when it came to the competitive games. That said, Trap has definately had a lot of lucky breaks go his way that Kerr didn't seem to get. God, that Israel game at Lansdowne still makes me sick to think about. Cheating time-wasting shithead goalkeeper. And the sight of Gary Doherty coming on with 15 minutes to go against Switzerland..

God, that Israel game at Lansdowne still makes me sick to think about. Cheating time-wasting shithead goalkeeper. And the sight of Gary Doherty coming on with 15 minutes to go against Switzerland..

This might make you feel a teeny bit better:

Deportivo Coruna goalkeepers Dudu Aouate and Gustavo Munua have been left out of the squad for the match at Villarreal after being involved in a fight during a training session on Friday.
art.aouate.gi.jpg

corner_wire_BL.gif

Radio Marca reported that Israel's Aouate had six stitches in his face after being punched by his Uruguayan counterpart in the dressing room.

Kerr was crap as Ireland manager. Not anywhere near as bad as Staunton, but still crap.
Every match we played under him, it felt like he had a game plan set for the start of the match, but once things changed a bit he had no ideas what to do for the rest of the game.

Bollocks. Staunton had one of the best left foots you'll ever see. Some of the passes he hit were incredible, some of the free kicks were unreal. I think I even remember him scoring directly from a corner?
He wasn't fast, he didn't have massive technical ability, but he was solid at the back and every time he hit the ball with his left foot was a thing of beauty.
Shite comedy manager though!!!

US Cup against.... Portugal? Or Maybe the States themselves.
Also scored a late freekick winner at Lansdowne against the Soviet Union. Starting to to think I took that fantastic record for granted as a kid.

US Cup against.... Portugal? Or Maybe the States themselves.
Also scored a late freekick winner at Lansdowne against the Soviet Union. Starting to to think I took that fantastic record for granted as a kid.

Scored at least 2 goals for Ireland direct from corners. Also against the North in USA 94 qualifying at home.

That was a nice free kick by Stan against the Russians alright.
Best Lansdowne free kick goes to Denis Irwin v Belgium in the ill-fated WC98 play-off.

Best Lansdowne long-range screamer goes to John Sheridan v Turkey, 5-0 win in the first game of the Euro 92 qualifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back