Brian Kerr: Strength to Strength (1 Viewer)

He was our most-capped player and had a sizeable dressing room and motivational presence (these were key qualities it was felt were missing in the Kerr era). The idea to meld this experience and postives with Bobby Robson's managerial experience was a bad one.
It might have worked were it a televsion programme or a movie.
The fault here lies with the FAI, mostly.

My point is that while Staunton may have over-reached in believing he could step up as manager, it shouldn't diminish his record as a player for us.
I think both men get an inordinate amount of abuse given all they've done for the team.
It's narrow-minded.

I agree that the FAI are ultimately accountable for all of this. But Trap is doing a decent job thanks to the crack team assembled to recruit someone.

My point is that while Staunton may have over-reached in believing he could step up as manager.

I think that might be one of the great footballing understatements of this century. His tenure as Irish manager was like a slowed down episode of Benny Hill and I reckon it set the course of Irish football back a few years.

I think that might be one of the great footballing understatements of this century. His tenure as Irish manager was like a slowed down episode of Benny Hill and I reckon it set the course of Irish football back a few years.

I've always likened it in my head to George Kennedy beating the piss out of Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. Where Luke is beaten before he gets in the ring but is too proud to admit it, yet we have to watch him take punch after punch and come back for more, and no one will stop it.

Great player for Ireland, Staunton.

Am I the only one who remembers Staunton as being a complete donkey of a footballer? I can't believe he's our most capped player. Terry Phelan was a much better left back.

Am I the only one who remembers Staunton as being a complete donkey of a footballer? I can't believe he's our most capped player. Terry Phelan was a much better left back.

Terry Phelan was not a much better left-back. "Show us your medals, Terry!"
And Staunton became a very solid centre-half, a rock of our last successful qualification campaign.
And Stan never nodded the ball into Marc Overmars' path to help knock us out of a World Cup.

Solid, consistent yeah yeah, I know he played in every world cup game , credit where credits due. I'm just saying that terms of footballing ability he was an awful player to behold. I hated watching him going forward with Ireland and Liverpool. Every cross or free was a head down toe bog, and the despite some results (scoring directly from two corners! ha!) the stuff that didn't come off was painful to watch. I know a lot of players were made to play horrible football for Jack Charlton, but I think his style suited Staunton down to the ground.

remember the goalie with the woolie hat?

knudsen or something.

060521-01.jpg

Bollocks. Staunton had one of the best left foots you'll ever see. Some of the passes he hit were incredible, some of the free kicks were unreal. I think I even remember him scoring directly from a corner?
He wasn't fast, he didn't have massive technical ability, but he was solid at the back and every time he hit the ball with his left foot was a thing of beauty.
Shite comedy manager though!!!

Haha. Well to be fair the Faroes have their Razor/Stuttgart moment too:
YouTube - Faroe Islands - Austria 1:0

Kerr is apparently on 200k a year with this job so I wouldn't feel that sorry for him. Hope they beat France!

Haha, you can practically hear it:

"ADOLF HITLER! JORG HAIDER! WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART! JOHANN STRAUSS! ARCHDUKE FERDINAND! CAN YOU HEAR ME, ARCHDUKE FERDINAND??? YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELLLLLLLL OF A BEATING! ONE HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF A BEATING!!!"

Haha, you can practically hear it:

"ADOLF HITLER! JORG HAIDER! WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART! JOHANN STRAUSS! ARCHDUKE FERDINAND! CAN YOU HEAR ME, ARCHDUKE FERDINAND??? YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELLLLLLLL OF A BEATING! ONE HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF A BEATING!!!"

Funnier with a Fritzl in there and maybe a Schwarzenegger.

I think both men get an inordinate amount of abuse given all they've done for the team.
It's narrow-minded.

Always thoughts that the credit Kerr was given for the underage players was a little overstated, fair fucks to him for winning stuff an all BUT of the players who played in his successful sides who has come through? Duff and Keane, anyone else? And surely when you're talking about the development of players in their mid-teens most of the credit/blame should go to the club coaches who have them all the time rather than than an international coach who only gets them once in a while. If the FAI want to imprrove the level of young Irish footballers the focus should mostly be on players up to u-14/16 which is when the scouts will start looking at the kids.

Bollocks. Staunton had one of the best left foots you'll ever see. Some of the passes he hit were incredible, some of the free kicks were unreal. I think I even remember him scoring directly from a corner?
He wasn't fast, he didn't have massive technical ability, but he was solid at the back and every time he hit the ball with his left foot was a thing of beauty.
Shite comedy manager though!!!

Double Bollocks. One of the best left 'foots' I ever saw? Nonsense. He played the percentages and naturally some of his rockets hit their targets. A lot of civilians were injured or traumatized by the outcome of a lot of the others. He actually scored direct from two corners for Ireland but don't for a minute try and tell me he meant either of them. He was a good honest competitor, decent defender but when he attacked he hoofed the ball with all the finesse of David Burrows.

i always remember folwer flicking the ball past him and leaving him for dead in 96. that and his common assault on a dutcher in lansdowne in 01. was it van nistlerooy? pretended he "fell over" right into his path.

Haha, that tackle was hilarious.
Think about those corners though. How often in the course of a match right now, do Hunt and McGeady and co. put a ball in from the corner that even causes the opposition defence to break a sweat? The amount of times against Italy where our set-pieces didn't beat the first man was fucking incredible.
I'd love to have Stan taking our corners for us, if only we could bring him on for corners and sub him off as soon as he hits the ball.

Haha, that tackle was hilarious.
Think about those corners though. How often in the course of a match right now, do Hunt and McGeady and co. put a ball in from the corner that even causes the opposition defence to break a sweat? The amount of times against Italy where our set-pieces didn't beat the first man was fucking incredible.
I'd love to have Stan taking our corners for us, if only we could bring him on for corners and sub him off as soon as he hits the ball.
by that logic, we might as well have, uh, andy reid in the te...AH JESUS!!!!

it must be kind of liberating to be a shite international team tho, like you're expected to lose all your matches, so when you win or draw, its a national holiday. and if a player scores, he can have his way with all the ladyfolk of the island.

Always thoughts that the credit Kerr was given for the underage players was a little overstated, fair fucks to him for winning stuff an all BUT of the players who played in his successful sides who has come through? Duff and Keane, anyone else? And surely when you're talking about the development of players in their mid-teens most of the credit/blame should go to the club coaches who have them all the time rather than than an international coach who only gets them once in a while. If the FAI want to imprrove the level of young Irish footballers the focus should mostly be on players up to u-14/16 which is when the scouts will start looking at the kids.

Yeah but the fact is he did so well with players who wouldn't really amount to much (Check the 1997 World Youth Championship team!) and with the players that did come through, he got them used to the youth set-up.

Qualifying for underage tournaments is a hard enough buisness, performing so well in them is harder again. He did fantastic. It's not his fault that players ultimately didn't make it, he did all he can as far as I'm concerned. Some I presume just wouldn't have the talent to go higher, others would probably develop lifestyle issues.

We came third in that 1997 tournament, it's the only details easily found on Wiki. Here's some teams, check ours in comparison.

Brian Kerr= genius

France
  • Mickael LANDREAU (GK)
  • Willy SAGNOL
  • Jean Sebastien JAURES
  • Mikael SILVESTRE
  • William GALLAS (-17')
  • Peter LUCCIN
  • Thierry HENRY (C) (-72')
  • Daniel MOREIRA (-66')
  • David TREZEGUET
  • Kodjo AFANOU
  • Cedric MOURET
Argentina
  • Leonardo FRANCO (GK)
  • Leandro CUFRE (-66')
  • Walter SAMUEL
  • Juan SERRIZUELA
  • Esteban CAMBIASSO (-54')
  • Diego MARKIC
  • Juan RIQUELME (C)
  • Bernardo ROMEO
  • Pablo AIMAR
  • Diego PLACENTE
  • Lionel SCALONI (-45')
England
  • David LUCAS (GK)
  • Ronald WALLWORK
  • John CURTIS (C)
  • Marlon BROOMES
  • Jody MORRIS
  • Jamie CARRAGHER
  • Danny MURPHY
  • Kieron DYER
  • Paul SHEPHERD (-83')
  • Mark JACKSON
  • Michael OWEN
Republic of Ireland
  • Derek O CONNOR (GK)
  • David WORRALL
  • Robert RYAN
  • Colin HAWKINS
  • Niall INMAN (-87')
  • John BURNS
  • Thomas MORGAN (C)
  • Damien DUFF (-78')
  • David WHITTLE
  • Neale FENN
  • Trevor MOLLOY (-80')
  • Substitute(s)
  • Paul WHELAN (GK)
  • Aidan LYNCH
  • Stephen MURPHY
  • Michael CUMMINS (+80')
  • Alan KIRBY
  • Glenn CROWE (+78')
  • Desmond BAKER (+87')

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back