Brian Aldiss Anyone? (3 Viewers)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
anybody like his books? Ive been getting into them recently and he's currently one of my faves. He's plots all seem to ramble aimlessly all over the place and he's really funny too. i particularly enjoyed "somewhere east of life" and "frankenstein unbound" which had me rolling about the place laughing. it has one of the best monstors ever! i have a stack waiting at home for me to read them in a few weeks when i have time for such stuff again. cant wait.

Hi. Funny story actually. I once had a friend, I haven't seen him in a while, he was/is a hardcore artist. Painter to be precise. Talented like you wouldn't believe, I.Q must be in the thousands, but unable to control his desires for alcohol and other much harder substances. So a life of strife he leads! But, while we were hanging out one night into the wee hours, talkin the shiiit, he happened to mention one Brian Aldiss! I said ' I hadn't ', he said ' you should have ', we laughed, and then he told me about him and his great books. He couldn't overemphasize how important the man was and how truly great and wonderfully inciteful (insightful...ya thats probably more like it..though the irony isn't lost on me..or is it the freudian undertones..ok I'm wafflin) he hee. Yeah, so I haven't read any of them yet, but I'm glad you posted that and reminded me, I must check him out for myself. Ah the memories.

Anything else..

Hi. Funny story actually. I once had a friend, I haven't seen him in a while, he was/is a hardcore artist. Painter to be precise. Talented like you wouldn't believe, I.Q must be in the thousands, but unable to control his desires for alcohol and other much harder substances. So a life of strife he leads! But, while we were hanging out one night into the wee hours, talkin the shiiit, he happened to mention one Brian Aldiss! I said ' I hadn't ', he said ' you should have ', we laughed, and then he told me about him and his great books. He couldn't overemphasize how important the man was and how truly great and wonderfully inciteful (insightful...ya thats probably more like it..though the irony isn't lost on me..or is it the freudian undertones..ok I'm wafflin) he hee. Yeah, so I haven't read any of them yet, but I'm glad you posted that and reminded me, I must check him out for myself. Ah the memories.

Anything else..

its true, his books are absolutely amazing. his writing is really off the cuff and fresh, the plots are generally quite ramshackle and take unpredicatble turns all over the shop and the dialogue is always very witty and sharp. even his older books dont feel dated at all because his writing style is so good. and despite the devil-may-care vibe off most of his work there are still loads of profound bits that stick in the memory. definitely one of the best writers ever. my favorites so far are probably "The Malacia Tapestry", "Frankenstein Unbound", "Rememberance Day" and "Forgotten Life" but I havent read a bad one and I've read loads of them now. Luckily theres fuckloads more to read yet!

I read Greybeard and The 80 Minute Hour about 25 years ago because jeff minter called one of his games Ancipital (after the yokes in the Helliconia trilogy) but didn't really like them.

I'm glad to see Brian Aldiss is still alive

And well by the looks of him here, between michael moorcock and some other lad at some yoke last week

IMAG0964.jpg

The new website is nice, although not all the contents seems to be there yet. I wish more people would read Aldiss books and discuss them here.

http://brianaldiss.co.uk

Is that the one where the main guy is travelling through time using these strange pod things that you sleep in and at one point he winds up in a damp english village where some woman has a bad egg of a husband? that was a good one whatever it was. Aldiss being Aldiss yer man probably got it on with the wife.

Have you read Brothers Of The Head? That's up there with the Malacia Tapestry, but its totally different. Worth getting the original illustrated edition.

Is that the one where the main guy is travelling through time using these strange pod things that you sleep in and at one point he winds up in a damp english village where some woman has a bad egg of a husband? that was a good one whatever it was. Aldiss being Aldiss yer man probably got it on with the wife.

Have you read Brothers Of The Head? That's up there with the Malacia Tapestry, but its totally different. Worth getting the original illustrated edition.

Yeah that's the one alright. The people in the English village turn out to be his ancestors or something.

Haven't read Brothers Of The Head, have to keep my eyes open for it

He has a new one out called Finches of Mars, it sounds a bit like that Mars One tv show. I pre-ordered it a while ago and yesterday got an email indicating that the one just shipped has been signed and numbered by the author. I suppose that warrants a mention in Minor Pleasures rather than a thread bump. He has one or two more new ones finished and has just started another apparently.

Have you read his short stories.@Cormcolash;? The good ones are amazing.

Another new one out just in time for the christmas - Comfort Zone

078707-FC222.jpg

A new novel from one of Britain’s best-loved writer, Brian Aldiss OBE, set in and around his home-town of Oxford.

Set in contemporary Oxford, this incisive novel charts the breakdown of a community.A new mosque is to be built – on the site of a derelict pub – and gradually, half-hidden prejudices begin to surface, and relationships between the residents start to sour. Drawing closely on current affairs, this novel investigates what it means to live in a post 7/7 world, where paranoia, prejudice and fear compete with tolerance and diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back