Brendan Behan - The Roaring Boy (1 Viewer)

OK but the "I think he was an alco because he was a closet bender" approach is what annoyed me.

They clearly, and way more than once, have him drinking at 6 and 8 years old. They pin the alcoholism there from the get go.
They do not do what you are saying. Whatsoever.

And would it be unusual for a gay man in the 1950s to lean on drink anyway?

Wow I walked right into that one, except Dunleavy funnily enough actually knew him, even featured him in his fiction, he's not just some modern day cunt waffler who loves the sound of his own voice.

Your criticism seems to be you hate Dunbar.

The doco used contemporary footage, footage with those that knew him, and experts on the man's work.
It was well-rounded.

My granddad knew him (in the same class at school and from around) and said he wasn't sound.

Showing perhaps that it is possible that someone can separate the art from the artist, he has/d several of his books in his bookcase.

My granddad knew him (in the same class at school and from around) and said he wasn't sound.

Showing perhaps that it is possible that someone can separate the art from the artist, he has/d several of his books in his bookcase.

My friend's Dad knew him and said he was great crack, til the whiskey kicked in and then he was more or less a bit of cunt.

As the story goes, he'd yell at him across the street
"Neary! How are the balls??"
When the friend would look over in horror at who was yelling, Behan would finish
"..of your FEET!" and then have a big laugh.

Seriously though. Dunbar swanning around for no reason, it's not about him. Jim Sheridan and other yoke psychoanalysing in a fucking Weetabix Box style. There is ample contemporary footage and reportage of the man, let it speak. This sort of drivel is an affront to Irish culture and culture in general. Treat the audience like arseholes method is disgusting.

Here here..big fan of Behan..RTE actually did a great documentary on the man in the 90's called 'Ochras Mor' ..lots of old footage of Brendan including his infamous Malcolm Muggeridge interview whereh e appeared disheveled and completely pissed. That was always going to be controversial after the BBC made the big mistske of giving him a bottle of the hard stuff in the studio.He could barely speak and Muggeridge was flummoxed , trying to coax words out of him without much success so he asked him to sing instead lol! That's how the interview stumbled on with 15 million people across Britain glued to their television sets. At the end of it all Brendan said to Muggeridge "What are we doing here? Why should fifteen million people be watching boring old farts like us when they could be making love, walking the dog or having a pint - or all three at once" He became a media folk hero as a result of that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back