Bored in Work XIV (with Mike Tyson as the Special Enforcer) (4 Viewers)

Originally posted by Milk Girl
I have a job I kinda don't mind sometimes. The respect is nice... Also when the people die and you've a bit less to do as a result...

A Gladiator?

A new millenium of posts!

Originally posted by Alex

I spent half of my day doing the same today.... :)

Synth Guitar? You mean a guitar shaped keyboard (like Sandy Marton's :D) or a MIDI Guitar? The latter is cooooooooool but quite expensive

a midi guitar (kinda)- trying to find one for about $500 one of those Roland GR-500, but a GR707 would be nice, theres one on ebay at the mo.

Originally posted by sparse

a midi guitar (kinda)- trying to find one for about $500 one of those Roland GR-500, but a GR707 would be nice, theres one on ebay at the mo.

Yeah that's cool but then you're gonna need a good keyboard or module to play it through....?

Tell me more, would I really need a keyboard, for the gr707 that is. I thought that the pedal board did all the work, along with maybe a programmer pg-200? and the gr-500 isn't even midi so would it?

Originally posted by Milk Girl
I have a job I kinda don't mind sometimes. The respect is nice... Also when the people die and you've a bit less to do as a result...

Head nurse in an old folks home....?

Originally posted by sparse
Tell me more, would I really need a keyboard, for the gr707 that is. I thought that the pedal board did all the work, along with maybe a programmer pg-200? and the gr-500 isn't even midi so would it?

Yep the GR-500 isn't MIDI because it was released in 1977 when MIDI didn't even exist! :eek: You are correct you don't need anything else to use it: it's all built in the pedalboard.

I don't know if I'd recommend it though, it depends what you need it for: it's a great toy and collector item, it has an analog synth and is sweetly retro'.... but if you need excellent performance you can't expect a good sound quality/variety, the guitar's controls are a mess (it has kind of 20 knobs!:D) and you can't save your sounds/settings

The GR-707 has a MIDI interface so that you can plug it into a keyboard or a module and have good sounds but it looks awful (really 80s) and its synth is digital.

More info:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/roland/gr500.shtml

http://www.vintagesynth.org/roland/gr700.shtml

Maybe you should consider a proper MIDI guitar (or a pitch-to-midi converter to be used with yours) and a keyboard/module

Check http://home.epix.net/~joelc/midi_git.html

Have fun! ;) A.

Yep the GR-500 isn't MIDI because it was released in 1977 when MIDI didn't even exist! :eek: You are correct you don't need anything else to use it: it's all built in the pedalboard.

I don't know if I'd recommend it though, it depends what you need it for: it's a great toy and collector item, it has an analog synth and is sweetly retro'.... but if you need excellent performance you can't expect a good sound quality/variety, the guitar's controls are a mess (it has kind of 20 knobs!:D) and you can't save your sounds/settings

The GR-707 has a MIDI interface so that you can plug it into a keyboard or a module and have good sounds but it looks awful (really 80s) and its synth is digital.

More info:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/roland/gr500.shtml

http://www.vintagesynth.org/roland/gr700.shtml

Maybe you should consider a proper MIDI guitar (or a pitch-to-midi converter to be used with yours) and a keyboard/module

Check http://home.epix.net/~joelc/midi_git.html

Have fun! ;) A.

THat stuff is cooool! I'm gonna get one of them things soon. Cheers Alex

The problem with this stuff is that you're not sure you're actually going to use it and it's feckin' expensive.

I'd thought it *might* be cool to play my bass through a synth, say, the lowest notes of a grand piano, a sampled double bass, a synth bass, a cello, etc. but then I learned the pitch-to-midi converter for bass cost 1500 eurons + 250 for the pick-up............

What if you don't like it or you find there's no actual value in using it with the band....?:eek:

Yeah, true enough. But if you've got a mate whos into electronics, he can maybe fix you up a cheap converter with his skills. I don't think the technology behing it is too complicated. Buy the parts cheap and have someone assemble it. If ye can. There must be loads of students from Kevin St. DIT or other techs who can do this stuff.

I think it's not likely, convert an analog signal into MIDI must be a mess. However guitar stuff is much cheaper. For instance you can get the GR-707 Sparse was talking about for €500 and then plug it into a module

Billy, if you're really bored, you could send me the fanzine and in the meantime acquire a stapler and about 2,000 staples...

Just if you're bored though.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Billy, if you're really bored, you could send me the fanzine and in the meantime acquire a stapler and about 2,000 staples...

Just if you're bored though.

I'm waiting on one article... once I have that I'll send it to ya. Probably on Monday/Tuesday...

I have no work to do still.

Performance Review next week... I'll be giving out to my "boss"

I think it's not likely, convert an analog signal into MIDI must be a mess. However guitar stuff is much cheaper. For instance you can get the GR-707 Sparse was talking about for €500 and then plug it into a module

you can do that in software - play your guitar into your soundcard's line-in and it's converted to midi on the fly.

i got the stuff for dudley a while ago, don't remember what it was called though

That's a shame. But I think you'll find taping a Casio keyboard to the shaft of a tennis racket delivers much the same effect. Well no, not the same effect, but the same look.

What I look forward to in the future are voice-activated phone conversations. Example: imagine how cool it would be if you could just ring a friend and say down the phone "What's new?" and then have him (or her, if it's a laydee friend) relate whatever news he/she might have. Simple!

Artificial intelligence, they'll call it. (Though not for the right reasons.)

Originally posted by herv
pitch to midi converters are a great idea can be very unreliable. the same as voice activated dialing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back