Originally posted by sarah
The worst thing is the fact that not only
am in work today but it took such a ridiculous amount
of effort to get here .........stupid marathon no busses
from milltown, stupid clontarf for being on the opposite side
of the city to where I live.

Stupid craving for greasy food,
:(

and the centra is closed... the bastards !

all thats left in our vending machines is jelly tots.

this calls for some serious improvisation for lunch.

so very, very bored.

Originally posted by P. Littbarski
and the centra is closed... the bastards !

all thats left in our vending machines is jelly tots.

this calls for some serious improvisation for lunch.

so very, very bored.

We have pot noodles in ours I think,

if your starving I can let you in to the machines
in our building, I'm off to forage for cigarettes.

food situation sorted (thank god...microwaved jelly tots just don't do it for me) and pizza has been ordered...

i've got spare ciggies if you can't find any.

cool, might have to take you up on that.......

what time are you working until?

internet gone, everybody dead

IRELAND SPORT WORLD BUSINESS ENTERTAINMENT
28/10/2002 11:55:32

Attacking the internet

Last week, someone tried to break the internet.

Luckily for all of us, their efforts were not particularly well thought-out, and failed shortly after they began. But next time, we may not be so lucky.

The event was an attempt at a sophisticated denial-of-service (DoS) attack. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book as far as the internet is concerned, and one of the easiest ways of bringing a web server to its knees.

The idea is simple enough: you take control of one or more computers connected to the internet (the more, the better) and use them to send vast amounts of requests for data to the target victim computer.

That victim is soon overwhelmed with incoming messages and inevitably crashes under the strain. If the victim computer hosts web sites or email accounts, anyone trying to reach those sites or read those emails will be unable to until the DoS attack subsides, and someone in charge of the victim computer can unplug it, dust it down, reboot it and re-connect it to the net.

What made last week’s attack more interesting was that it targeted specific - and very important – computers that act as the central address books for the whole internet.

They are known as the “domain name root servers”. There are 13 of them around the world, maintained on a voluntary basis by companies and non-profit organisations like universities.

The job of the root servers is to maintain the database that holds web site addresses, and maps them to specific computers.

It is thanks to the root servers that when you type “www.yahoo.com” into your web browser, you are connected to the correct web server that stores the Yahoo web site.

The root servers maintain this database and regularly distribute copies of it to many other computers, so that it becomes widespread and distributed as widely as possible.

Last week’s DoS attack was directly aimed at the root servers. It was designed to bring each of them to its knees under a vast flood of incoming data. If it had succeeded in bringing all of the root servers down for many hours, the net would have started to slow down considerably.

But while there was a little minor disruption for some Internet Service Providers, the root server system remained operational. Seven of the 13 root servers were affected, for as long as three hours each, but that posed no real problem.

The whole point of having the root servers distributed is to make the internet as secure as possible. By allowing the database of root server information to be spread around to other computers, the organisers of the system can be sure that even if several root servers disappear from the net, reasonably recent copies of their data will still be available.

Re: internet gone, everybody dead

IRELAND SPORT WORLD BUSINESS ENTERTAINMENT
28/10/2002 11:55:32

Attacking the internet

Last week, someone tried to break the internet.

Luckily for all of us, their efforts were not particularly well thought-out, and failed shortly after they began. But next time, we may not be so lucky.

The event was an attempt at a sophisticated denial-of-service (DoS) attack. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book as far as the internet is concerned, and one of the easiest ways of bringing a web server to its knees.

The idea is simple enough: you take control of one or more computers connected to the internet (the more, the better) and use them to send vast amounts of requests for data to the target victim computer.

That victim is soon overwhelmed with incoming messages and inevitably crashes under the strain. If the victim computer hosts web sites or email accounts, anyone trying to reach those sites or read those emails will be unable to until the DoS attack subsides, and someone in charge of the victim computer can unplug it, dust it down, reboot it and re-connect it to the net.

What made last week’s attack more interesting was that it targeted specific - and very important – computers that act as the central address books for the whole internet.

They are known as the “domain name root servers”. There are 13 of them around the world, maintained on a voluntary basis by companies and non-profit organisations like universities.

The job of the root servers is to maintain the database that holds web site addresses, and maps them to specific computers.

It is thanks to the root servers that when you type “www.yahoo.com” into your web browser, you are connected to the correct web server that stores the Yahoo web site.

The root servers maintain this database and regularly distribute copies of it to many other computers, so that it becomes widespread and distributed as widely as possible.

Last week’s DoS attack was directly aimed at the root servers. It was designed to bring each of them to its knees under a vast flood of incoming data. If it had succeeded in bringing all of the root servers down for many hours, the net would have started to slow down considerably.

But while there was a little minor disruption for some Internet Service Providers, the root server system remained operational. Seven of the 13 root servers were affected, for as long as three hours each, but that posed no real problem.

The whole point of having the root servers distributed is to make the internet as secure as possible. By allowing the database of root server information to be spread around to other computers, the organisers of the system can be sure that even if several root servers disappear from the net, reasonably recent copies of their data will still be available.

This is very bleeding apt, our internet keeps going
down every ten minutes or slowing to a crawl pain in the
arse!

i just booked tickets for tori amos in january in london

and i got ryanair flights for 8 euro

and i have the whole week off work

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Originally posted by coraline
i just booked tickets for tori amos in january in london

and i got ryanair flights for 8 euro

and i have the whole week off work

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wow suddenly it's not so bad sitting in work with
a head on me.

Thanks Coraline!:(

was that flight 8 euro with or without tax?

i havent really taken a lunch as i've been helping a german out with a problem for the last 2 hours...i've explained to him that it's a bank holiday today...he was disgusted.
at one stage during our phone conversation i made a joke...which was met with a deadly silence...
i tried asking about the weather in germany...and was ignored..
i wouldnt mind but i will be talking to him for the next few hours until we get his problem resolved...marvelous stuff.
must be a bayern fan

if you need some smokes I can meet you at the centra.

let me know

It's all under control now I unleashed my massive
talent for being a scabby so and so and have a little
collection of cigarettes, but thanks again.

At the moment we are engaged in and interesting
debate on hairstyles one of our happy little party
has a DDR short cropped hairstyle with a
cute little rats tail detail at the back
these classy germans.........what would we
do without them??

i havent really taken a lunch as i've been helping a german out with a problem for the last 2 hours...i've explained to him that it's a bank holiday today...he was disgusted.
at one stage during our phone conversation i made a joke...which was met with a deadly silence...
i tried asking about the weather in germany...and was ignored..
i wouldnt mind but i will be talking to him for the next few hours until we get his problem resolved...marvelous stuff.
must be a bayern fan

if you need some smokes I can meet you at the centra.

let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back