Bored In Work 644 (4 Viewers)

You are SO MEAN

Clearly we're having issues with being nice on an individual level as well.

Do you only think being nice to people personally is what is important or do the knock on affects of being part of global capitalism (or any system) bother you? I'm only asking because it bothers me. This is obviously no place to talk about the intricacies of the whole thing (what, with bullies like @johnnystress policing the thread).
I pay my taxes, I vote, I volunteer my time to a cause that I value, I donate to two charities that do great things.
Global capitalism doesn't really occupy much of my thoughts.

Pathetic, Washed-Up Rock Star On Fifth Decade Of Doing Exactly What He Always Wanted
NEWS IN BRIEFEntertainmentMusicISSUE 50•43 • Oct 28, 2014

700.jpg

DETROIT—Peter Wolf, a pitiful, has-been rock musician who hasn’t had a platinum record since 1981, has now spent more than 40 happy years doing exactly what he always wanted, reports confirmed this week. “It’s so sad to see that guy still out on tour after all this time,” a source said of the washed-up loser who has been able to walk out on a stage multiple nights a week for more than four decades and play music of his own creation while being cheered on enthusiastically by a paying audience. “When was that guy’s last hit anyway? Thirty years ago? God, it’s embarrassing.” At press time, the fans in attendance at the pathetic old artist’s latest show were reportedly singing along, word for word, with a song millions of people know by heart.

Jeepers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Creepy.

On the other hand is "Have a nice evening" really harassment ? That happens twice here and "Hey looky there I found $1000" he seemed more crazy than sexist.

Just saying by their own definition of sexual harassment that's pretty tenuous.

The London one has a great campaign though which Businesses, especially bars should be signing up to.

Good Night Out – No more harassment on nights out!

On the other hand is "Have a nice evening" really harassment ? That happens twice here and "Hey looky there I found $1000" he seemed more crazy than sexist.

Just saying by their own definition of sexual harassment that's pretty tenuous.
!
yeah and the guy who then walked silently beside her for five minutes started out with a very mild-mannered 'god bless you, have a good day, alright?'
they wouldn't be saying it to men. it's creepy.

but this is what i came here to post

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah and the guy who then walked silently beside her for five minutes started out with a very mild-mannered 'god bless you, have a good day, alright?'
they wouldn't be saying it to men. it's creepy.

That would have intimidated me, and I'm 6'3" and 200+ lbs

But he'd probably never do it to me.

out of the blue, with no other interaction?
Yeah, there's an old guy in Clapham that says "god bless you have a great day" to everyone that passes him. Without fail he does it to everyone. Mostly people smile back at him and say thanks and wishes him well. He's always outside Asda just sitting on a bench and wishing everyone well. He's just one example. Men with big beards always make a point of giving me a nod and a greeting, like were in a secret club.

If I see a person in a football jersey I'll wish them luck. So for example last year on the CL final day I wished two spanish girls wearing Atleti jerseys luck. They were total strangers, If you take all of these comments out of context I was harassing them somehow.

I mean I get what they're doing with that video and it is shocking but just the "have a nice day" and the possibly disturbed person in a purple suit going on about finding money seem a little out of place. Like tarring everyone with the same brush kind of problem. Or moreover it seems to hinder their point because they are such different reactions.

To be fair when I was in New York I don't think I walked down a single street without someone shouting something at me. The best one was a guy who stopped me and talked to me for 5 minutes about Michael Ballack because I was wearing a parka jacket with a tiny german flag on the sleeve.

It's great social experiment though. I'd like to see a Dublin version with women, LBGT and ethnic minorities in it. and a white man aged 25-30 as a control. It would probably be a real eye opener for people who like to claim to be the most welcoming nation on earth etc.

I dunno, whatever about "have a nice day", I'd find strangers saying "god bless you" out-of-the-blue odd, and yeah, creepy.
Meh, I don't care. If they love god it's up to them. It's a nice gesture.

By the way this is now on buzzfeed and the top comments are exactly what is being said here ecept with much more vitriol.

there's an article along with the video here that addresses the common 'i don't see the problem' reaction

Street harassment video: A hidden camera records what women go through on New York streets.
Yeah all that's fine and I understand that the cumulative effect of constant actual harassment means that it changes the context but this

But when a male stranger shouts it, it’s just another unearned claim for a woman’s attention—one that could escalate should the woman so much as bat an eyelash.

Is a bit wishy washy. I mean for a start there is nothing ostensibly wrong with someone wanting attention. In a way we all want attention, that's part of the human condition. How you go about it and for what purpose is the problem. You can change the acceptable parameters of course but the basic need to be noticed. That's something instinctive, that'll never change.

I don't think it's a gender issue to assume that "Have a nice day" could mean exactly that. It's about our own cynicism about people's nature in general. I think we're probably projecting different views onto something pretty asinine.

Secondly "could escalate" that's like saying that by going into a bank you are taking your life in your hands because banks get robbed therefore you could be caught in the cross fire. Anything could escalate. Crossing the road could escalate into being paralyzed from the neck down. Anything could happen. I think some of these campaigns are doomed because they play out at an almost hysterical level of fear mongering. This is why we can't take photos of our children in the playground. Because someone might be a peadophile. This is the same kind of scaremongering. The guy wishing you a nice evening might rape you. It kind of causes more problems than it solves.

Basically I'm saying give some men the benefit of the doubt and really go after the ones that genuinely need a class on how to be a decent human.

Anyway it's an interesting piece of work.

hmm

you give one line claiming to totally get the point and then spend the next few paragraphs making excuses and explaining why it's hysterical scaremongering.

Meh, I don't care. If they love god it's up to them. It's a nice gesture.

By the way this is now on buzzfeed and the top comments are exactly what is being said here ecept with much more vitriol.

Yeah all that's fine and I understand that the cumulative effect of constant actual harassment means that it changes the context but this

Is a bit wishy washy. I mean for a start there is nothing ostensibly wrong with someone wanting attention. In a way we all want attention, that's part of the human condition. How you go about it and for what purpose is the problem. You can change the acceptable parameters of course but the basic need to be noticed. That's something instinctive, that'll never change.

I don't think it's a gender issue to assume that "Have a nice day" could mean exactly that. It's about our own cynicism about people's nature in general. I think we're probably projecting different views onto something pretty asinine.

Secondly "could escalate" that's like saying that by going into a bank you are taking your life in your hands because banks get robbed therefore you could be caught in the cross fire. Anything could escalate. Crossing the road could escalate into being paralyzed from the neck down. Anything could happen. I think some of these campaigns are doomed because they play out at an almost hysterical level of fear mongering. This is why we can't take photos of our children in the playground. Because someone might be a peadophile. This is the same kind of scaremongering. The guy wishing you a nice evening might rape you. It kind of causes more problems than it solves.

Basically I'm saying give some men the benefit of the doubt and really go after the ones that genuinely need a class on how to be a decent human.

Anyway it's an interesting piece of work.
By scaremongering I meant that article about the video not the video itself. The video is certainly not scaremongering and their campaigns, especially the good night out one are thankfully understated and direct enough that even a massive prick like me can get behind them.

hmm

you give one line claiming to totally get the point and then spend the next few paragraphs making excuses and explaining why it's hysterical scaremongering.
Yeah the point being that there is a cululative effect from constantly being shouted at. If I was being shouted at all day then pretty soon even someone genuinely wishing me well would eventually become just another noise in descrimant from the rest. I get that.

Like I said the point about Have a nice day "escalating" is scaremongering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back