Bored in Work 23 (4 Viewers)

that 3 hour meeting has confirmed to me that senior management types really do have too much time on their hands.

as if i didn't know already, like

jesus

just finished the hope book last night .|..| .|..|

a thought ; either leagues, lee casey and some others started putting on gigs at the age of seven or else they are really ancient ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2514771.stm
Staff in technology jobs work in the white collar equivalent of a 19th century factory. suffering from isolation, job insecurity and long hours, research has found.
Much needs to be done to ease the intense pressure, inequality and exclusion in technology jobs, said the study by Sean O'Riain, Professor of Sociology at the University of California.

He looked at the characteristics of hi-tech workplaces, which are seen as a potential model for the future of work.

He found that the individualistic, macho culture of tech jobs was putting women off applying for jobs, despite an often critical shortage of skills.

In his study, Professor O'Riain found a fiercely competitive world, which one software engineer described as a white collar factory.

"Although hi-tech workers are relatively free from supervision, peer pressure and deadlines drive them to extreme labour," he said.

Workers like software programmers are often cited as living out the dream of modern flexible working, untied by geographical office boundaries, able to work on their own initiative and offered stock options in their firms.

The reality is somewhat more nightmarish, Professor O'Riain found.

"They face the lonely insecurity of the individual entrepreneur in a marketplace and culture that stresses, with macho imagery from war and sports, that they are ultimately alone," he said.

"For many this may be the shape of work in the 21st century."

The dot.com downturn has added job insecurity to the list of stresses for the workers in the technology industry.

"When the economic crisis hit, they found themselves with few collective guarantees, they were cast to their individual fates," said Professor O'Riain.

The image of the socially excluded geek working long and frustrating hours seems to be a hard one to shake off, despite efforts to change perceptions of the technology sector.

According to Professor O'Riain, the hi-tech worker has become a product to be bought and sold, despite having much-sought after skills.

They are under constant pressure to update skills. And social relationships among the technical communities are defined by common technical interests rather than a common employer.

"If security of income and long-term learning were strengthened, technical communities could emerge as an important alternative model of economic organisation to increasing corporate dominance of the workplace," concluded Professor O'Riain.

The research is published in the American Sociological Associations' Contexts magazine.

sob

Originally posted by coraline
just finished the hope book last night .|..| .|..|

a thought ; either leagues, lee casey and some others started putting on gigs at the age of seven or else they are really ancient ;)

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahha
they were six actually

Originally posted by pete
you've always got here to keep you entertained....

Maybe if it got more interesting and there was more action on the football board.
Or if I was about during the day too cos I could enjoy the posts the other me had made that day.
Still. Got one hour of sweet napping in tonight.
That extra energy may help me top myself.

Originally posted by old
Maybe if it got more interesting and there was more action on the football board.

See?

You people demanded - demanded! - a football board.

Yer all talk.

or rather, aren't

Originally posted by niallmc
nice one

Oh no - our secret is out.. Pete is the old one. Anyway we're all young at heart. Aren't we?????

watch it buddy - i'll never catch up with you.

if you're not careful i'll tell everyone about the time them girls chased you round bray cos they thought you were george clooney
notice how nobody has complained about the appearance of ads on the site?

Who is the oldest person here?

And who's the youngest?

And who's in between?

And what is your average age?

Originally posted by billygannon
Who is the oldest person here?

And who's the youngest?

And who's in between?

And what is your average age?

What is my average age? Is that my mental age / chronalogical age?
This isn't a singles bar is it?
Because i'd be very afraid.

Age? Ancient

What about those ads on the THUMPED site??? Nobody looks at the site they all go straight to the forum........

Pete's sold out. I heard that book is like Delia Smith, but for krusties.

good jaysus....

did anyone else hear that Rivers Cuomo from Weezer is playin on the new Limp Bizkit album?

christ....

Watch it, buddy... 1,500 people a week read that stuff

Age? Ancient

What about those ads on the THUMPED site??? Nobody looks at the site they all go straight to the forum........

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back