Bored in Work 123 (3 Viewers)

FancyGoods said:
so...................how about that local sports team, eh?
Not that anyone else but me cares, but the Red Sox are 3-0 in the series against St Louis. It would be a sin for me to be optimistic, but I got tears in my eyes when I found out this morning. Watched some highlights and nearly choked. Fucking hell.

Imagine if Ireland were in the World Cup Final? That's how I feel right now.

Last time we made it this far was 1986, which ended very tragically, though the Sox were doing nearly as well at this point in the series as they are now. But no series titles since 1918, despite being one of the most consistently strong teams in baseball. Generally lead the league for most of the season before choking miserably.

Again, perhaps I'm the only one who cares about this. But Jesus Fuck, it's incredible.

jane said:
Not that anyone else but me cares, but the Red Sox are 3-0 in the series against St Louis.
I care, Jane. I lived in Boston for a time, plus my brother who's American is the biggest fan ever of the Red Sox (we even wrote a song about baseball for a laugh once) and has stayed up to watch every game live against the Yankees and is so tired as a result that he's taken all this week off to watch the World Series. Go Sox.

snakybus said:
I care, Jane. I lived in Boston for a time, plus my brother who's American is the biggest fan ever of the Red Sox (we even wrote a song about baseball for a laugh once) and has stayed up to watch every game live against the Yankees and is so tired as a result that he's taken all this week off to watch the World Series. Go Sox.
Why is it called the World series ? Can anybody enlighten me...I never understood this.

THRILLHO said:
Aren't you forgetting a little thing called the Curse of the Bambino?
It'll never happen Jane.
Don't worry, any Bostonian worth the paper she's printed on doesn't get her hopes up too soon. On one of the highlights this morning, one of the commentators said, 'Well, looks like we might not be reporting on too many more games!' I'll let him off because he's obviously not a Sox fan, but where I come from, saying stuff like that is a mortal sin. They still hang people for it.

The way I've always explained it, the failure of the Red Sox to win the series has been deliberate. See, they're the strongest team with the most loyal and unwaveringly dedicated fans, and they don't need some trophy to tell them they're the best. The World Series is a consolation prize for those who aren't the Red Sox. Except this year, when we really, really, really deserve it.

Babe Ruth was a big, fat, drunk bastard who made a pact with the devil. 'See you in hell, asshole!'*

*'From heaven.'

snakybus said:
I think it's because it includes Puerto Rica and some other protectorates, so they figured why not make it sound grander.

Doesn't include Puerto Rico, but it does include Canada. So it is technically 'international', but until recently, no other countries were all that into baseball, so it didn't really matter. And now the name is there to stay, even if we do play for some more international title against a Japanese league or something.

jane said:
Babe Ruth was a big, fat, drunk bastard who made a pact with the devil. 'See you in hell, asshole!'
Aw, I'm just choppin' your onions. I spent most of this morning reading a pretty amazing article about the origins of the 'curse'.

To get away from baseball, I was also reading an amazing article about a Nazi expedition to Tibet to find the origins of the Aryan race, which Himmler believed had a lot to do with the survivors of Atlantis. Who he believed lived underground. And had psychic powers.

Real Indiana Jones stuff.

THRILLHO said:
Aw, I'm just choppin' your onions. I spent most of this morning reading a pretty amazing article about the origins of the 'curse'.

To get away from baseball, I was also reading an amazing article about a Nazi expedition to Tibet to find the origins of the Aryan race, which Himmler believed had a lot to do with the survivors of Atlantis. Who he believed lived underground. And had psychic powers.

Real Indiana Jones stuff.
God, I just looked at that article. 1986 still kinda hurts. But Buckner didn't actually lose the series for us. I mean, that ball-between-the-legs incident was in Game 6. It was Game 7 that they blew.

Anyway, back to the Nazis. They used a lot of archaeological stuff to try to justify their dominance in Europe. The SS conducted loads of excavations in countries they'd invaded, tried to prove that because the material they found in those countries was similar to that found in Germany, Germany was the rightful claimant to the territory.

A friend of mine from Germany was telling me that some university departments (not just archaeology) have what are called 'poison cabinets', where the Nazi research is kept. Some departments are really open about it, and think it's important to see how dangerous this stuff can be when used to justify political or ethnic claims, but others won't even acknowledge them.

Oh, maybe you already know this, but The Director of the National Museum of Ireland during the 30s and 40s, an Austrian called Adolf Mahr, was also reputed to be the leader of the Irish Nazi Party!

ETA: By the way, his Nazi connections haven't been totally verified, just suspected, and apparently substantiated somewhat by the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

I know they stole the core ident but the level of detail they went to to forge their brand is amazing. I wonder who their art director was? and some of their early propaganda posters were pretty well designed. not as good a soviet constructivist propaganda posters though. not as weird a chinese propaganda posters either

talk about an obsession with forging an identity through graphics

nazi_SS_parade.jpg

nazi-parade-3.jpg

jews6.jpg

Since we're talking about the US and all, I'm gonna make a prediction: Kerry to win the US election by 271 votes to Bush's 267. I wonder what odds I'd get at the bookie's for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back