Borders Bookshops (1 Viewer)

tripoli

Something in the times today about Borders opening 10 book stores in Ireland.

I think our book stores are fine, feck off borders.

Hooray! That guy from Chapters comes 10 steps closer to living on the street.

Our bookshops are fine, but there just aren't enough of them. Pretty much all of the good ones are within a mile radius of the liffey. Which is just dumb.

i like some of dublins bookshops but from the times ive shopped in borders they usually have an amazing range of political and feminist books that ive never seen here..not even in anthology..so while i understand that some people view them as the book equivalant of starbucks i dont have any problem with more books being available..

Wilbert said:
Borders is a good chain alright. They're no Barnes & Noble though!
Oh man..the b&n in union square,NY is vast.
Best selection of books ive probably ever seen under one roof.

my mammy says this is great news. anyway, bookshops in dublin are generally shit, this can't really hurt. no winding stair etc anymore,fuckit, dublin's shit anyway, we might as well have good books to throw at the next love ulster parade.

union square is a great spot to hang out for a while and chill. man i wish i was back in new york.

tripoli said:
union square is a great spot to hang out for a while and chill. man i wish i was back in new york.

Union Square is probably my favourite spot in NYC. Great bookshops. Virgin megastore has a great DVD selection too. The cinema beside Virgin is really good to.

I wish I was back there too.:confused:

Wilbert said:
Union Square is probably my favourite spot in NYC. Great bookshops. Virgin megastore has a great DVD selection too. The cinema beside Virgin is really good to.

I wish I was back there too.:confused:

indeed, there's just something very appealing about the area. remember buying hail to the thief the morning it came out in that Virgin. cinema wasn't bad yeah, went a couple of times. best was in the sunny evenings, sitting around listenin to people playing guitar, singing, etc. oh the good times. i'd move to nyc tomorrow if i got the chance.

tripoli said:
I think our book stores are fine, feck off borders.

What are you talking about, hippy? "Our" only semi-decent "bookstore" is Waterstone's which
a. is a UK chain
b. has taken to using gaffer-tape to black out any categories on their index which are no longer turning a profit
c. has a section on gender studies that mainly consists of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

And don't get me started on Dublin coffee shops where staff charge a fiver for their own urine in a paper cup.

I'm not in favour of globalisation and I happily frequent any decent indigenous bookshop or coffeeshop (like Mocha Bagel in Swords :heart: ). However, until someone has the chutzpah to establish some in the zitee zentre, I'm more than happy to take all the Starbucks and Borders I have coming to me.

Yeah I prefer Hodges Figgis too. I don't know why, exactly, I just always gravitate towards it. I have no idea what their gender studies section is like, though (unthinking, chauvinist pig that I am)
Borders = good thing, though I'd prefer a Barnes and Noble. Ah well.

i way prefer hodges figgis to waterstones, dunno why. probably cos their sales are better by a factor of approx. one million.
if i'm looking for something specific i always check anthology books and books upstairs first though. both deadly bookshops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back