Books You Hated (4 Viewers)

Audiodelic

Website
www.siglamag.com
Ok, we've had the good times, now the bad ones.
I've read plenty of books that I absolutely didn't like (step forward Cecilia Ahern) but there's some I just hated. Particularly some that everyone raved about and I couldn't see what the fuss was.

Any of those Mitch Albom books (Tuesday With Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven) made me want to empty my stomach.

Paulo Coelho is a git. And why are his books in the mind body spirit section and not the fiction one? Because less people look there and book shop people are trying to discourage us from buying his spiritual psychobabble ramblings.

And Demian by Herman Hesse. What was the point?

The da vinci code.

Rubbish. Should have known better but everyone kept going on about it so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Should have stapled my eyelids to the floor that night instead.

I intensely dislike Paulo Coelho too, fuck off with your cod-spirituality please.

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk is the book I have hated the most in recent times. ARGHhn,xcrjf23-0483058 my mind does not compute this snore of a read.

Audiodelic said:
Ok, we've had the good times, now the bad ones.
I've read plenty of books that I absolutely didn't like (step forward Cecilia Ahern) but there's some I just hated. Particularly some that everyone raved about and I couldn't see what the fuss was.

Any of those Mitch Albom books (Tuesday With Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven) made me want to empty my stomach.

Paulo Coelho is a git. And why are his books in the mind body spirit section and not the fiction one? Because less people look there and book shop people are trying to discourage us from buying his spiritual psychobabble ramblings.

And Demian by Herman Hesse. What was the point?

Audiodelic said:

"You have two spoons and you're in a desert and you are one and both and none. If you wish to be the desert, travel in your heart to the crossroads of the elixir you hold in one of the spoons - the spoon in which you have chosen and which is you".
The Alchemist, Paul Cole - aka Paulo Coelho.

He's a total chancer. I bet he's an insurance salesman or something.

Pamela by Samuel Richardson has got to be the most boring novel ever written.

I didnt like any of the Chuck Palunick(Spelling?) books I have read but loads of people know love them

i dont hate any books, but ones that i thought were over-rated and a bit rubbish:
the sexual life of Catherine M.
the story of o
on the road

only my opinionion oh.

catch 22 by whoever wrote it. started twice and gave up after chapter 1 twice. fuck off book, i said to it !baggyyyy

that bill bryson one where he travels around america but only bothers going to 42 states, and because nothing interesting happens and nobody says anything interesting to him he just makes up stuff that would possibly be interesting if it had happened but it didnt and he's just trying to make an interesting book out of his dull little trip. i will never so much as touch another of his books again !zed

im half way through the human stain by philip roth at the moment, and it isnt doing much for me:(

this world is full of bad literature

Arnold O'Byrne said:

You must have done English in UCD in the mid-nineties. There's no other reason to read it otherwise.
I forgot about Pamela and that other classic this-makes-me-want-to-commit-hari-kari tome The Mysteries of Udolpho.

Audiodelic said:
You must have done English in UCD in the mid-nineties. There's no other reason to read it otherwise.
I forgot about Pamela and that other classic this-makes-me-want-to-commit-hari-kari tome The Mysteries of Udolpho.

English in Maynooth... 96-99.

It was meant to be one of the first novels - some say the first.

Haven't read The Mysteries of Udolpho.
But I've heard that prisoners in Guantanamo Bay are treated to a tape of Joe Pasquale reading this.

'Catcher in the Rye' - badly written, self-indulgent, boring, reads like it was written by a fourteen year, which I guess is the point, but still

'I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story' by Glen Duncan - this had a lot of promise but boy was it crap.

Although I quite enjoyed 'On the Road' and to a greater extent 'The Dharma Bums', Kerouac is a complete chancer, his books are boring and repetitive and their faux-poeticism really gets old quick. He's still a legend but not because of his writing but the cultural phenomenon he helped spawn. Also:

spiritualtramp said:
I truly hated that book.

William S Burroughs annoys the fuck out of me "then I did some heroin and got out of my face then I did some more heroin etc etc" BORING.

If your talking about the reportage style of 'Junky' or 'Queer' then you might be simplifying things a little, he wrote those books in that style because he wanted to give a true alternate version of a drug addicts life post-WWII, without glorifying them as Kerouac might have or demonising them in the way the mainstream media did, and still does. On saying that I did go through a phase of disregarding Burroughs' Nova Mob works as sensationalistic crap, but have since come around to the idea that these novels are some of the preeminent and most innovative works of twentieth century fiction. I honestly think that in the next half-decade or so there will be a surge of interest in Burroughs' work and their significance appreciated. Undoubtedly the most talented and visionary of all the supposed Beats.

uh, he's just really over-rated. I liked the dharma bums more than on the road, but his constant references to hamburgs really got on my wick.
eucrid eucrow said:
Although I quite enjoyed 'On the Road' and to a greater extent 'The Dharma Bums', Kerouac is a complete chancer, his books are boring and repetitive and their faux-poeticism really gets old quick. He's still a legend but not because of his writing but the cultural phenomenon he helped spawn. Also:

ha!

ít seems like a lot of people think kerouac was over-rated. good. years ago i read on the road and didn´t really get anything of it and it seemed everyone was telling how fucking great it was. duh. then i read naked lunch and some hunter s. thompson. they have lots of what kerouac would´ve needed...

You like Burroughs but think "Catcher in the Rye" is shit??

Burroughs annoys the shit out of me.I honestly beleive the majority of people who say they like Burroughs are bullshitting.

Not refering to you directly of course.
eucrid eucrow said:
'Catcher in the Rye' - badly written, self-indulgent, boring, reads like it was written by a fourteen year, which I guess is the point, but still

'I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story' by Glen Duncan - this had a lot of promise but boy was it crap.

If your talking about the reportage style of 'Junky' or 'Queer' then you might be simplifying things a little, he wrote those books in that style because he wanted to give a true alternate version of a drug addicts life post-WWII, without glorifying them as Kerouac might have or demonising them in the way the mainstream media did, and still does. On saying that I did go through a phase of disregarding Burroughs' Nova Mob works as sensationalistic crap, but have since come around to the idea that these novels are some of the preeminent and most innovative works of twentieth century fiction. I honestly think that in the next half-decade or so there will be a surge of interest in Burroughs' work and their significance appreciated. Undoubtedly the most talented and visionary of all the supposed Beats.

I haven't read anything that I didn't like for long enough to develop a hate for it, I usually just drop it. but there have been a few snoretastic moments. remember trying to read burroughs' "city of the red night" and I enjoyed it to a degree, but about two thirds into it I suddenly hit a wall and couldn't finish it. guess there's only so much smacked out, autoerotic, ejaculatory nonsense one can take. then there was some book recently by some young brett easton ellis style hopeful about fucked up teenagers on drugs and shit. booooring!!! didn't finish that either.. there are more, but they were obviously too crap to remember!
Arnold O'Byrne said:
"You have two spoons and you're in a desert and you are one and both and none. If you wish to be the desert, travel in your heart to the crossroads of the elixir you hold in one of the spoons - the spoon in which you have chosen and which is you".
The Alchemist, Paul Cole - aka Paulo Coelho.

He's a total chancer. I bet he's an insurance salesman or something.

the last time I was at home in my folks' house there were a pile of his books in the bathroom. which moulds a new definition for the word 'shiterature'.

:)

I have to say the da vinci code as well, good god that sucked balls. Also anything by [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Kerouac, his books may have been enjoyable if he had of removed his head from his own arse!!
[/size][/font]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back