Bobby Conn - cork gig confirmed (1 Viewer)

Bandicoot Promotions Presents

Date: Wed 24th March 2004
Venue: Half Moon Theatre, Half Moon St, Cork, Ireland

Headline act: BOBBY CONN & THE GLASS GYPSIES

Support: Warlords of Pez
Price: 13.50 euro (telephone booking subject to a charge of 2 euro per ticket so but at the Box Office if you can!!!)
Doors: 10pm
Ph 021 4270022
Tickets on sale from Opera House and Half Moon box office
Over 18's

After doing time in the criminally obscure Chicago art-rock band Condeucent, Bobby Conn struck out on his own in 95. A relationship with the Truckstop/Atavistic label family followed, culminating in the critically acclaimed opus "Rise Up!" release. This album, produced by Jim O’Rourke, found Bobby exploring his Judaic heritage with a fervor and a concept that led many to believe that Bobby Conn was indeed, the Anti-Christ. The adoring public is at times overwhelming, and no one knows it more than a performer of the stature of Bobby Conn. The success of his first album pushed his already anxious listeners to a fever-like pitch. Unable to ward them off any longer, Bobby moved on to Thrill Jockey Records inviting the listener to indulge in a world of leisure with releases such as "Llovesongs" and "The Golden Age" . It’s a world that celebrates the salad days of FM radio in the 70’s, exploring the glam, disco, upbeat pop, rock, lounge and soul that a decade of decadence is known for. His new album "The Homeland" (out now on Thrill Jockey) is a rock record clad in glam attire. Making their debut on record, the Glass Gypsies are the musical family behind the magnetic Mr. Conn. This eccentric line up features Colby Stark, Nick Macri (Mark Eitzel, Zincs and Euphone), Pearly Sweets, Ultra-guitarist Sledd and Monica BouBou (Bobby’s longtime partner and collaborator).

UPCOMING BANDICOOT GIGS/EVENTS:

DJ PHIL HARTNOLL (ORBITAL)
THE PERNICE BROTHERS
THE CHALETS
SISTER
WARLORDS OF PEZ
FRENCH TOAST
PLAID
LIARS

"How can we not love Bobby Conn when he loves us so much" - Uncut ****

"There's much to admire about a man trying to pull off heavy metal and disco in the same song. With violin solos" - Q

"The Homeland has the sheer audacity to make you believe in a thing called rock, yet again" - NME 9/10

"While Conn's panache often flirts with pastiche, the party-hard tunes and flashes of schizoid pop genius ensure his fearless invective aims true" - X-Ray 7/10

"Crazed Chicago seditionary Conn's fourth album is exactly the visionary, Technicolour masterpiece we have come to expect from the kind of popstar manque you might think they don't really make any more. Musically and ideologically occupying ground somewhere between Pulp's Different Class and Bowies's Diamond Dogs, The Homeland turns a jaundiced eye on Dubya's backyard and couches it's sardonic outrage in plastic funk and proggy glam rock. The crass way of signposting this mix of genuine eccentricity, pastiche and polemic might be to imagine the Darkness getting together at the London School of Economics" - The Guardian *****

"Although one chuckles at the bombast and bluster of the music, the lyrical sting lingers long after it's faded away" - The Independent ****

"A blackly hilarious paranoiac sweep through the war on terrorism. Beyond his 'message', the perverse joy Conn takes in playing the Illuminati and Freemasons and Sweet Prince Bush is unsettling and delicious. "Ironic distance isn't very far", he sings at one point, and this savage comedy of errors cuts closer than comfort" - Mojo ****

Jim A. Morrish said:
Bobby Conn is doing his solo karaoke show at the Lobby, Cork in November 2004
"is he doing a dublin date too?"

"sorry, i only have info on the cork show but i'm sure details on the dublin show will leak out eventually..."

zzzzzzzzzzz

jim, you're so cork. ;)

Jim A. Morrish said:
yeah, actually, i'd prefer to be cork than dublin. what a burn, 'never thought i'd say that. don't i look the fool now? after me callin' you all langers and everything. what i wouldn't give to be a langer. *sigh*

here's the info as I have it to hand:

THE LOBBY BAR
MON 18TH OCT
DOORS 8PM TICKETS 10 euro AVAILABLE FROM VENUE
FIRST 50 PEOPLE WILL GET A FREE LUCKY BAG ON NIGHT
support: Stanley Super 800

BOBBY CONN
His real name is Robert Robert Conn. Why two Roberts? Apparently both of his grandfathers were named Robert and his parents wanted to honor them equally. Sometimes he looks pretty young, but up close he’s all weird and creepy. Since 1998, Bobby has resorted to dramatic make-up and fanciful costumes to distract audiences from his fading youth. He was born in New York City, but moved continuously throughout his childhood, spending several formative early years in Argentina and Brazil. Most of his adolescence was spent in Chicago, where Bobby lives even today. He is smaller than the average hulking, obese, hormone-dazed American male and is a compact 5’4", seeming slightly larger on stage with the aid of special shoes and customized miniature instruments. Bobby is just crazy about helicopters. He has many toy "choppers" and subscribes to many rotary wing aviation magazines. He is convinced that once he owns one, he will achieve personal freedom and mobility on an almost spiritual level. He spends much of his time designing helipads and heliports for his home. Bobby understands very deeply how important celebrities are, whether they are big and tall or very small, as role models. He knows that many look to him to set an example for their own lifestyles and beliefs. He’s had quite an impact on the status quo. He’s 110% a pure entertainer and a perfectionist.

hag said:
yeah, actually, i'd prefer to be cork than dublin. what a burn, 'never thought i'd say that. don't i look the fool now? after me callin' you all langers and everything. what i wouldn't give to be a langer. *sigh*

take heart from the knowledge that, to those who know you, you'll always be a langer

Jim A. Morrish said:
i don't think there's a dublin show, but i could be wrong.
see? dublin has no room for bobby... :( it's not so much about being cork, but more about being anywhere but dublin. you know what? i refused to go to the rednecks in the village and i'm heading down to limerick so catch the launch there instead... because limerick still understand what it was like to get riled up about something... i got a yellow pair of y-fronts... well, yellow and green, just like brazil and they have BRAZIL written right across the ass and i'm gonna do a strip show in honour of them using the word BRAZIL in the title of their record. that shit is totally awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back