Black Sun Mail Art exhibition -deadline May 19th (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
Hey everyone, as some of you may have seen over in the gig announcements, I'm curating a new monthly weirdo music night called Black Sun in the Granary Theatre in Cork. We're launching it this May the 23rd.

mylius_9-1.jpg

The line up for the event will be:

Rest (Out On A Limbo dancers)
Safe (dotdotdot Noise veterans with guests Paul Condon and Wayne ex. Waiting Room)
Vomit Nest + Wölflinge (Steve Rest, Phil and myself)
First Blood Part II (Ratmonkey solo set)

+Black Sun DJs Wölflinge + Paul Hegarty

------------------------------------------------------------

Distros present include:

Rimbaud Records, Noise Not Music and Bold Lump

------------------------------------------------------------

scet_02_img0182.jpg

So, I'm really posting here to draw all of your attention to the mail art exhibition that will take place in the upstairs studio of the Granary.

It operates on the usual "no returns, no refusals" policy. I sincerely want each of you reading this to know that I would be delighted if you'd submit something postcard-sized for the exhibition. Those overseas should do their best to mail me something by May 19th. Those in Ireland should aim for around that deadline too... The sooner I get everything, the better really.

The medium doesn't matter, so long as it's visual.

The optional theme is 'resonance'. You may ignore that if you wish by all means, the theme is just there to help anyone who needs a focus.

Where one body acts on another body and enhances it's natural frequency, the two bodies oscillate together with increased amplitude producing an enhanced, if potentially turbulent vibration. Isn't this concept beautiful? Whether applied to music, clocks, radios, lovers, bridges, playground swings, sympathetic strings, shattering glass, tides, the earth turning, MRI scans... There's no limit to what the word brings up for each person.

I would be thrilled to see this happen so do take the time to post something small my way in time for this.

The postal address is:

Black Sun mail art ,
The Granary
Mardyke
Cork
Ireland

my email address is:
high.infidelity(at)gmail.com

Please reply to let me know that you are interested!
I will try to document everything as best as I can. Be sure to email me so I include you on mailing list for this show. And finally, be sure to pass this on to any friends who may be interested.

Already I am getting a steady stream of interest from artists and musicians I admire from around the world but rather than have this project end up as the ultimate autograph hunting game for me, I would love a contribution from you, reading this.

Mark it down, stick it on your fridge, don't forget about it.
I would love as many contributions as possible.

x vicky

Woah,.|..| just collected a huge amount of mail-art from the Granary today... Lots of stuff from Smegma (USA), Gavin Prior, Agitated Radio Pilot, Sweet Oblivion, Dave Ahern, Daniel Spicer (UK), William Davidson (CAN), Robert Dayton (CAN), Emer O'Neill, Kevin Flannagan, Aodhrua Fitzgerald, Maureen Farrell (UK), Kuupuu (FIN), Holly Burgess, Mike Daly, Ace Farren Ford (USA) Wayne Dunlea, Suzanne Walsh, Jozef Van Wissem (NTH), Jackie Stewart (USA), Pat Byrne, Chris Joynes (ERI), James Ryder, Jorge Boeringer (CZE)...

Some things arrived blood-soaked, some glitter soaked, amazing collages, photoshops, little goat-adorned sculptures, the most recently opened was a slab of bryophytes from the Czech Republic! Beautiful, it smells incredible. There is still time to post something (or if in Cork, feel free to drop it into the Granary) so long as it arrives by May 23rd. The official 'deadline' is nearly here, but if you drop me a line to let me know you'll be late, at least I won't be surprised by a bunch of new things landing on top of me at the last minute.

+ + + + +

Presale tickets are now on sale in Plugd. €10

Limited capacity so buy before the night or come early.
Doors 8pm
First Blood Part II starts around 8.30pm.

Distros, tshirt stall www.myspace.com/tshirthutcork and vegan cakes will be in upstairs studio of the Granary, alongside the Black Sun Mail Art 'Resonance' exhibition.

Oh no man, it would be much better if you could be totally set up before doors even open at 8pm. We'll be in the place by 2pm, soundczech from 5-ish. So anytime between 5 and 7.30 is cool. I'm just trying to make sure there's enough tables for you drudes and the mail art... Think Steve rest wanted some tapes off you so maybe check in with him to make sure you're packin' what he wants. x

good, fair play to you. Have a look in old notebooks, old photographs if you're lacking inspiration... Hopefully it'll arrive by the day of the thing. x ps. pm-ing you in a tic about cork business

Oh no man, it would be much better if you could be totally set up before doors even open at 8pm. We'll be in the place by 2pm, soundczech from 5-ish. So anytime between 5 and 7.30 is cool. I'm just trying to make sure there's enough tables for you drudes and the mail art... Think Steve rest wanted some tapes off you so maybe check in with him to make sure you're packin' what he wants. x

I'm not 100% sure but I'm aiming to bring every single thing I have in stock down with me (will be a struggle on the bus but worth it) so there'll be no worry about what I bring down. I don't need a huge table as it's mostly just tapes & 7"s. Should be there areound 6 or so I'd say..

Lad i was banking on getting a lift down off is doing exams so he can't guarantee me a lift. So if anyone knows of someone driving down Saturday morning it would be greatly appreciated.

I've put in a few orders so i plan to have a couple of heavy boxes for Saturday. I can pay for fuel in either cash, or wax if preferred.

I packed up the boxes last night and lets just say that getting on the train is going to be very interesting. Any sort of change overs could prove disasterous.
Lets hope it works out alright. *fingers crossed*

V, a friend of mine did something for the exhibition only yesterday, would it be alright if I bring it down with me?

oh totally, I've the exhibition all ready to go... Hopefully it's not too big, I'll squeeze it onto one of the tables... Fucking hell, I am wiped out. I can't even think about playing tomorrow or Sunday. Still though, it's gonna be amazing. Thanks for coming Eoin, I can't wait. x

What a brilliant night, ye should all be proud of yourselves! .|..| Hope you're not too wrecked today Vick. Such a great vibe, really chilled out and friendly and the music was wyrd and wonderful. There's such a difference in putting a gig on in a space like the Granary versus a 'traditional' rock venue - I think it was a great idea as it kept everyone focused on the music, people were really attentive. Thought my ears were gonna burst during Safe's set! Ate far too many cakes but it's all good ;)
Oh and the mail art was amazing!!

Thanks Apife, I think we all had a great night... Bleary eyed and exhausted as I type. Kev and I drove up for Junko gig in Anseo last night and back down again. Have to clear mail art stuff away this morning... Looking forward to crawling back into bed later.

Special thanks to Eoin Bold Lump for dragging so much stuff across the country.
Can't wait for the next one!

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back