Bit cheesey but do you perfer UK or US Punk music? (1 Viewer)

specialdutis.gif

HMD said:
OLP, motorhead are not punk just because punks listen to them.

Now if you were asking UK metal or USA metal, what would people think?

I know, but it's still a valid reason for saying UK.

Janer posted:
Cos I am fucking fed up on my American BT tracker site d/l Punk thats not Punk or the Punk bands that are Punk all have ing the same manufactured sound, here is the link, done a poll but I expect US to win as it's 80% US members on that site....
http://www.kraytracker.com/punbb/viewpoll.php?id=329

(I'm new to this site, and hav'nt got the hang of the quote box thing)

Feck them Janer, do ya really give a rats arse what they think!

glen said:

stunning. what a fuckin awful band, but quite a funny record. anyone read "shiboleth, my disgusting life" by penny rimbaud? I know Ive mentioned it here before, but its an incredible book. even better that "crazy from the heat" DLR

I quite like Special Duties as does a few people :p
I upped Special Duties live in CBGB's a while back over at Kray and it was well recieved and it got more downloads then most of my otehr uploads....

:)

u:m said:
stunning. what a fuckin awful band, but quite a funny record. anyone read "shiboleth, my disgusting life" by penny rimbaud? I know Ive mentioned it here before, but its an incredible book. even better that "crazy from the heat" DLR

brutally honest about trying to sex up his cousin with a facecloth. :eek: :eek:

weeler said:
brutally honest about trying to sex up his cousin with a facecloth. :eek: :eek:

don't remeber that bit, but I really liked the brutal honesty about sexuality in the book.

the thing I like most about shiboleth is that it puts alot of crass's ideals into a very human prespective. I think crass were a band that were quite easy to misunderstand. so much of what they projected was really dark and angry and alot of their idea's came across as quite rigid. I really liked the way that the book showed how their ideas developed, and how they interacted with the rest of the world. I heard a quote from an old interveiw they did where they were asked why they never wrote love songs and they responded that all their songs were love songs. I think that thats something that came across really well in the book, that they were really quite a pragmatic group of people, who were really driven by love, and a genuine desire for the improvement of the human condition. Id really love to hear the recordings of penny rimbauds first band exit.. anyone ever heard them?

the first 30 seconds of punk is dead is my favourite 30 seconds of any recorded music Ive ever heard

US punk definatly for me.

Us:
Articles of Faith, Dinosaur Jr, Gray Matter, Embrace, Black Flag, RKL, 7 Seconds, gorilla Biscuits, Naked Raygun, Husker Du, Rites of Spring, Descendents/ALL, Agent Orange, CH3, Circle Jerks, Government Issue, Common Rider, Iron Cross, Fugazi, Social Distortion

UK: Sham 69, Rudimentary Peni,Cockney Rejects, Uk Subs, Skrewdriver (early stuff), Runnin Riot, Discharge.

I'd nearly go for Uk just because of Sham 69 alone but i like far more US bands than I do Uk bands.

And Janer, what's with all this over produced punk sound you're on about?

u:m said:
anyone read "shiboleth, my disgusting life" by penny rimbaud? I know Ive mentioned it here before, but its an incredible book. even better that "crazy from the heat" DLR

i read it years ago, so i can't be too precise on the details, but i remember being HUGELY disappointed by that book cos i love crass. for me, it read like the ravings of a paranoid lunatic, and deflated any ideas i had about crass. his political observations were like that of a fifteen year old, but he was at least 60 at the time of writing, which i thought was a bit sad. he's also quite miserable, and i get a sense from him that he thinks everyone's just so stupid that they are not as enlightened as he is, which is really patronising considering that his arguments are ropey as all hell to begin with.

sorry UM! I just thought it was interesting that you got so much from it and i thought the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back