Big Star in Dublin (1 Viewer)

The Mechanic

anybody see Big Star when they played in Dublin, and know dates, a guy in work is wrecking my head about seeing them in Whelans a few years ago. I know he's talking about the Alex solo gig. Did anyone see them when they played?, another friend said he saw them twice when they played, did they really play here twice?

I wasn't there (unfortunately), but I remember that they played in the Red Box around 2001-2002(?)

I was at the Red Box show and it was packed - Got Alex's autograph afterwards. Awesome.

Few years later I went to his solo show in Whelans - Hardly anyone there, those that were were just yelling for September Gurls & he refused to play any Big Star (well he did play In The Street for the second song and that was it) - He came out and played something by Beethovan or Brahms (can't remember) as an encore with a big smile on his face, it was amazing.

So, Alex played here twice - Once with Big Star in Red box and second solo in Whelans.

he also played when my babys beside me in whelans. i rememeber it being packed

Whelans was great, definitely wasn't packed though. We watched it upstairs, so had a good view. Can't remember people shouting for Big Star stuff, I remember for the most part tpeople being respectful. Think that gig was only a tenner. Crazy. I went and got his autograph after (first and last time I ever asked anyone, not counting Johnny Logan when I was in primary school, but I wanted to say hello) He was cool, just having a pint out in the old downstairs smoking room

I knew I had missed that one around 2000, but someone was trying to convince me they played a lot more recently. Knew it couldn't be true, as I saw them in Scotland in 2007, and in London in 2008.

he also played when my babys beside me in whelans. i rememeber it being packed

Ah, you're right all right...

I guess the fact that it was full of tables & chairs gave the impression of it not being packed.

I do remember the bone of contention for a rowdyish portion who kept calling for BS tunage buh

Red Box gig was fantastic. I didn't go to the Whelans one because I didn't want to be annoying Ian by shouting for Big Star songs.

those tables at the solo gig were a pain in the ballbag. the rest of us were squished in behind them, i remember it being mentalshit hot.

Got there early & got a seat. I hate seated gigs in Whelans. Stupid venue to have seats out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back