Big Gay Paris (1 Viewer)

jane said:
Hey all, I'm heading to Paris for a few days next month, and I was hoping people knew where to get some nice bargains.

Vintage or reasonably priced boutiques, like.

i'll ask my housemate for ya, she's a dirty frenchie.

Hey! So I'm still looking for shopping bargains in Paris. Good things, especially on the boutiquey front, the sort of indie designer types who sell for reasonable prices, like the stuff you get in Cow's Lane, only at the Barcelona boutique prices. Gotta exist, right? Good quality, well-cut, interesting, but simple clothes and accessories that aren't only cut for skinny people.

Anyone?

jane said:
Hey! So I'm still looking for shopping bargains in Paris. Good things, especially on the boutiquey front, the sort of indie designer types who sell for reasonable prices, like the stuff you get in Cow's Lane, only at the Barcelona boutique prices. Gotta exist, right? Good quality, well-cut, interesting, but simple clothes and accessories that aren't only cut for skinny people.

Anyone?

i asked my housemate, she only shops in H & M in Paris, said the boutique shops were a rip-off and you'd get better stuff in Penney's...

cookiemonster said:
i asked my housemate, she only shops in H & M in Paris, said the boutique shops were a rip-off and you'd get better stuff in Penney's...

My dreams! They have been shattered!

Thanks, though. I will keep this in mind. Most boutiques are a rip off, and mostly have very ugly clothes. I had incredibly good luck in Barcelona, though. Bought two pieces that are so incredible I still can hardly get over the fact that I own them. Was hoping shopping in Paris would be as fortuitous.

Jane, if you want something special, I can't recommend Antoine & Lili enough.
(If I'm any use, it's around Saint-Martin Canal area) Antoine et Lili are easy to spot shops anyway - there's a pink shop, green shop and yellow shop all together. The pink one is a fashion boutique where I've gotten some really beautiful clothes in the past that I still wear to death - pretty chic-bohemian-designer-vibe pieces that are really stylish and good quality but don't cost the earth. The green and yellow shops are worth checking out too - one is garden / homewares and the other is a cafe with really good homemade food.

I think you'd really dig their stuff.

here are some of me paris pics. (amazon/kodak easy share gallery compresses the shit out of your images)

219390200106_0_ALB.jpg

623101200106_0_ALB.jpg

158590200106_0_ALB.jpg

358590200106_0_ALB.jpg

998690200106_0_ALB.jpg

549490200106_0_ALB.jpg

jane said:
Zita, Antoine et Lili was fantastic. I bought some lovely stuff there, including a really pretty cardigan I'm snuggled up in right now, and a pair of excellent trousers that are actually as comfy as my jim-jams.

Thanks for the tip! :heart:

Woop woop. I did or said something helpful. That never happens.

Hope Paris was a good buzz Jane.

i just want to resurrect this thread cuz i read all the others about paris and this is the most helpful...

i'm going to paris for a few days, i've never been and dont have a clue, so i'm wondering what the story is with the different areas, and whats the best areas for hostels and cheap hotels?
from what i've figured out so far, Montmartre is something like temple bar, was featured in amelie, and seems to have a few hostels. but whats it like for nightlife? is it just full of tourists and rubbish clubs?
what about other areas?

we've got one gig we're definitely going to, and between listings sites and myspace it shouldn't be hard too hard to find a couple more. but whats it like getting back to your hostel/hotel at night, other than the metro and buses? is it safe to walk (or is it even walkable usually)? are taxis a bad idea?
i've been reading an old copy of rough guide but can't figure out simple things like how long it takes to get from an area like montmartre to the center.

whats prices like for booze and food and cigarettes and things?

etc etc etc..
thanks!

i just want to resurrect this thread cuz i read all the others about paris and this is the most helpful...

i'm going to paris for a few days, i've never been and dont have a clue, so i'm wondering what the story is with the different areas, and whats the best areas for hostels and cheap hotels?
from what i've figured out so far, Montmartre is something like temple bar, was featured in amelie, and seems to have a few hostels. but whats it like for nightlife? is it just full of tourists and rubbish clubs?
what about other areas?

we've got one gig we're definitely going to, and between listings sites and myspace it shouldn't be hard too hard to find a couple more. but whats it like getting back to your hostel/hotel at night, other than the metro and buses? is it safe to walk (or is it even walkable usually)? are taxis a bad idea?
i've been reading an old copy of rough guide but can't figure out simple things like how long it takes to get from an area like montmartre to the center.

whats prices like for booze and food and cigarettes and things?

etc etc etc..
thanks!

sounds stupid, but paris is bigger than it looks on the map. montmatre is about 2-3 hours walk from the river, much of which is down haussman era streets, which are big wide and very samey.
the 'mont' part of montmatre itself is cute, but very touristy. Plenty of bars/clubs round the seedier end of it at the base of the hill. Not sure if their any cop, that whole area (which was where I stayed) was like a giant talbot street (with more strip joints).
Overall wasnt gone on paris, the place is absolutely crawling with tourists. Its a stereotype, but Ive never felt more unwelcome any place Ive visited.

dublin prices or more for most things; which is a pisser as stuff in supermarkets is much cheaper. dont smoke anymore, so wasnt buying cigs

sounds stupid, but paris is bigger than it looks on the map. montmatre is about 2-3 hours walk from the river, much of which is down haussman era streets, which are big wide and very samey.
the 'mont' part of montmatre itself is cute, but very touristy. Plenty of bars/clubs round the seedier end of it at the base of the hill. Not sure if their any cop, that whole area (which was where I stayed) was like a giant talbot street (with more strip joints).
Overall wasnt gone on paris, the place is absolutely crawling with tourists. Its a stereotype, but Ive never felt more unwelcome any place Ive visited.

dublin prices or more for most things; which is a pisser as stuff in supermarkets is much cheaper. dont smoke anymore, so wasnt buying cigs

thanks!
yeah the distance thing was a bit hard to figure out. i saw some maps on some hotel websites that would say how long it would take to get from one place to another by metro, and checked google maps and all. but that helps a lot to know its that far walking and not very interesting, because we were planning to just walk into town the first day at least (ended up booking this hotel in montmartre in the end, cuz it was cheap but had great reviews, but i just read that its "about an inch and a half from the red light district", oh well..).
from what i've heard from others, and from what i've seen from looking up record shops and stuff like that, the Bastille area seems cool. so looking forward to hanging out around there.

thanks!
yeah the distance thing was a bit hard to figure out. i saw some maps on some hotel websites that would say how long it would take to get from one place to another by metro, and checked google maps and all. but that helps a lot to know its that far walking and not very interesting, because we were planning to just walk into town the first day at least (ended up booking this hotel in montmartre in the end, cuz it was cheap but had great reviews, but i just read that its "about an inch and a half from the red light district", oh well..).
from what i've heard from others, and from what i've seen from looking up record shops and stuff like that, the Bastille area seems cool. so looking forward to hanging out around there.

regardless of the red light district i've stayed in and around the montmartre area spitting distance from the pverground metro stop there and although it looks dodgy (remember this is down from a main train station gare de nord i think so as with all cities any areas in and around main stations are dodgy shit hole esque salt o the earth spots). the hotels are cheap clean and just as close to all the main stuff in the city

dont attempt to walk into the city centre. talk the metro the first time to gauge distance. you'll get a better idea of how far out all of the districts are and even walking along the seine is a treck in itself.

the latin quartier is the cheap spot to go for dinners. set menus are the best deal with a bottle of house wine. the places are busy and crammed tight but the its middle of the road fare so its neither shit quality or outrageously overpriced.

as for drinking. good luck. as was posted earlier in this thread a good while back get a bottle of vino and go sit by the eiffel tour or bring it back to your hotel room and get locked. its unbelievably expensive to drink in paris and as you need so many stop offs all day and night from walking around its vast quartiers you will be spending minimum a fiver a go be it coffee, wine or a glass of beer. the areas all vary in price but it evens out in the end.

dont let this put you off though. paris is for the sights sounds tastes smells and l'amour. its no berlin mad one but it has more than its fair share to make up for it. fresh croissants from an abusive cranky old parisienne first thing in the morning anyone? yes please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back