Big Gay Paris (1 Viewer)

broken arm

going to paris with the lady for her birthday. Never been before. Any recommendations for uber-nice places to eat????
any must sees in Paris or short day trips out outside?

broken arm said:
going to paris with the lady for her birthday. Never been before. Any recommendations for uber-nice places to eat????

Totally Gay. Yis'll be grand.
I just been there dude. It was magnificent. I took a photo up the Eiffel Tower's skirt and spoke loads of French.
Ate in a beautiful Lebanese retaurant that had pictures of Ladies wiv they's knockers out all over the walls. Apparently it was an exhibition. Watch out for the smoking in the restaurants, I'd forgotten how gross it was.

Sorry, this is totally useless innih?

aoifed said:
Watch out for the smoking in the restaurants, I'd forgotten how gross it was.

yeah that was crazy... people smoking while eating and shit... madness

just bring some mittens and walk around, tis such a lovely place.

Big Graveyard (Pere Lachaise) is pretty cool alright.

I really liked going to the Catacombs as well. Underground tunnels with lots of human skulls everywhere. You can't go wrong with that and it's pretty romantic.

Museums - Renoirs house is good and the Musee D'Orsay is pretty amazing - for the building as well as the stuff.

Otherwise wandering around, drinking wine and eating deadly food in little cafes is the best thing to do in Paris. The Marais is a really nice area to do this in but basically anywhere should hit the spot .... Avoid drinking pints. It's really expensive.

There is however a deadly pub in Marais called Le Vieux Paris which is a singing pub. It seems to start after 11 or so and there's a bloke with an accordian at the back. He hands out lyric sheets to the songs before he starts and the whole pub sings along. Deadly fun. It's in French of course but when you have a load of wine in you that doesn't seem to matter ...

do not try and go to the loo while in said graveyard. They are those nasty ridge-y hole in the ground jobs.

Also, they have moved Jim Morrisons grave now so the entertaiment value of watching 20 spas lament his demise as if he was their own dear papa is not available no more. But it was fun while it lasted.

hugh said:
Big Graveyard (Pere Lachaise) is pretty cool alright.

merci buckets everyone. I had planned to go to the catatcombs, folk art section of the louvre and a few other things along the way. We have planned to explore by foot as much as possible. with picnics and wine. although it may be too cold.

what I'm really trying to track down now is a special restaurant to bring her on her birthday. don't want to get caught out that night wandering. aoifs lebanese tittie bar is a different kind of special.

I really regret not taking a note of this, but the last time we were there we ate in the most amazing chinese restaurant ever, it was in a street behind the champs elysee (quite a way back) in with a load of korean restaurants and tings. And the food was incredible, but sadly I remember neither the name or the street now. Oh dear.

Theres a fabulous Jazz club/restaurant around the corner from the St. Germain des pres metro station. Also the famous Les deux maggots - great bar/restaurant in the same square.

Luxembourg RER B - get a fab panini & coke for 3 euro opposite the jardin de luxembourg, then sit and eat it in the gardens. beautiful place.

Picasso Museum - pretty fab. Place Vosges is close by - cool garden square, Victor Hugo lived in an apartment there.

Louvre - metro: louvre rivoli, Musee D'orsay - metro: musee d'orsay
another nice way to get to the louvre is to walk down the champs elysees right to the end into les tuileries, keep going all the way to the glass pyramids. pretty spectacular way to go.

for shops - boulevard haussmann - metro: Grand Boulevard or Chausee d'antin LaFayette - gallery lafayette, printemps H&M etc.
wonderful sandwich bar called luna off the end of blvd haussmann past gallery lafayette. mmm its good. you can get avocado in your sandwich. mmmboy. Also: Chatelet Les Halles - big shopping centre place. sorta sucks, although I saw Tom Cruise there...cant be all bad.

night time - Trocadero Metro stop , come out...walk left..follow the bright lights. you'll see le tour eiffel - I loved the surprise so dont let on to your girl. when youre done standing with all the amazing scenery, walk straight down to the gardens past the seine and the eiffel tower, take out a nice pre-purchased bottle of wine and a mat for sitting on - sit down on the grass with your girl and booze it up - also chocolate. mmm.

for the metro - get a carnet: 10 tickets, works out cheaper than just buying them all the time.

Have fun! Paris is the best :D

broken arm said:

ditto, but for both our birthdays (her Jan 25th, me 28th)
when are you going?

we've never been there either so I'll follow this with interest

nlgbbbblth said:
ditto, but for both our birthdays (her Jan 25th, me 28th)
when are you going?

we've never been there either so I'll follow this with interest

man I love Paris. Wish I was there instantly.

nlgbbbblth said:
any good record shops guys?
even the HMVs in them foreign places are good

The only one I can think of is the massive Virgin on the Champs Elysees. can be pretty cheap. last time i was there, I got a few jazz cds for 6.90, a cat power cd for 9.90 and something new for 14.90

avernus said:
The only one I can think of is the massive Virgin on the Champs Elysees. can be pretty cheap. last time i was there, I got a few jazz cds for 6.90, a cat power cd for 9.90 and something new for 14.90

sounds cool, record shops and romantic trips are hard to reconcile but I'll get round it somehow

Restaurants -

Chartiers on Rue Faubourg Montmartre - cheap, good cooking, atmospheric, entertaining waiters, original 19th century fixtures and fittings; get there early cos they don't take bookings; a right rocking little place
There's also a nice Lebanese restaurant about three minutes walk towards Montmartre on the same street.
Lots of good places to eat on the Rue Menilmontant, near Pere Lachaise

Record Shops -

Bimbo Towers, Passage Antoine for experimental, avant-garde, Japanese, weird stuff etc
Born Bad, Rue Keller for garage, punk, hardcore etc
Crocodisc, Rue Des Ecoles for general secondhand vinyl, collectors etc

Also, if you like movies, Paris is a dream - check out Pariscope - plenty of English language screenings of new and, expecially, classic movies. There are three or four cinemas dedicated to showing gems from the 30s - 70s.

Just got back a couple of hours ago

stayed in a hotel in Republique. Basic but good

visited the graveyard Pere-Lechaise this morning. Wife wouldn't go.
Cool place, Wilde and Morrison's etc. Dying for a slash but no privacy.

good shit:
Georges Pompidou Centre (some deadly art/displays) ,
Musee D'Orsay (familiar paintings etc)
the whole Lourve thing. that statue playing the drums freaked me out

red buses are great for seeing spots, getting on/off

didn't really intend record shopping but ended up buying about a dozen bits
best shops:
Ground Zero (off Blvd Voltaire, 11e district)
Virgin Megastore Champs Elysses.

nice to read thumped b'day greetings in Paris. .|..|

nlgbbbblth said:
visited the graveyard Pere-Lechaise this morning. Wife wouldn't go.
Cool place, Wilde and Morrison's etc. Dying for a slash but no privacy.

we visited a graveyard (montparnasse) aswell :eek: to pay homage to a few people - beckett, sartre, serge gainsgerg etc.

the little drummer dude in the louvre upset me greatly....

littlefrenchdude.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back