Beverly Hills Cop, Purple Rain, Revenge Of The Nerds, Dune, Indiana Jones, The Terminator, S (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Hollywood Babylon, Dublin's Midnight Movie Film Club, presents their new season at Light House Cinema, Smithfield: The Summer of '84, quite probably the greatest year for movies there ever was! From May to October, late on Saturday nights, celebrate the movies, trailers, songs and fashion decisions that defined an era.

Beverly Hills Cop [22:45, 18 May 2013]
“Eddie Murphy is a Detroit cop…on vacation in Beverly Hills”. Here is a movie that really holds up and just like ‘American Werewolf’ actually managed to successfully combine comedy and horror, Beverly Hills Cop successfully combines comedy and action. Screening from a vintage 35mm print there will be a whole host of other Eddie treats on the night (anyone remember the ‘hit song’ Party All The Time he recorded with Rick James? Because we do!)

Purple Rain [22:45, 15 June 2013]
From Eddie Murphy to His Royal Purpleness. We will be going ALL OUT for this one. We are so very excited. Did you know this film originally made 70 million at the box office! Get your ruffled shirts and high-heeled out for a Prince Party in the bar beforehand with special cocktails, free mixtapes, badges, and more. Also, we heard he will actually be playing Dublin this Summer, that true?

Revenge of the Nerds [22:45, 13 July 2013]
“It’s time for the odd to get even” OK right now go to YouTube and find the Revenge of the Nerds trailer. It is awesome. Yes that is the voice of Orson Welles, creator of Citizen Kane! Pre-show event- before the show we will have an edifying and educational pre-show special Super8 screening (courtesy of Dennis Kenny) so get there early! NNNEEERRRDDDDSS!

Dune [22:45, 17 August 2013]
Here is one that has grown in stature with time. Imagine there was a time when David Lynch could be offered a major Summer sci-fi blockbuster (they considered midnight movie stalwart Alejandro Jodorowsky first!). The guy made Eraserhead! If you like your sci-fi less safe than the lumbering behemoths we have become used to and more challenging, weird and evocative then this is for you. We are very excited to revisit this classic late at night on the big screen, the only way to do it justice.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom [22:45, 14 September 2013]
Raiders gets a lot of love (we will screen a Super8 version on the night) but we’ve always had a soft spot for the trashier and (dare we) say it, funner sequel. So many great moments - the monkey brains, the tunnel ride, the bit where a dude pulls the beating heart out of someone’s chest! That’s how kids movies behaved in 1984! Pre-show event: vintage Super8 screening featuring ‘digest’ version of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

DOUBLE BILL: The Terminator / Streets of Fire [22:45, 19 October 2013]
Our first double bill and it’s a doozy! The Terminator remains a stone-cold classic but we have wanted to screen Streets of Fire forever. It is a personal favourite of ours by the guy who brought you The Warriors. It is set in the future, although tinged with the 50’s, a true 80s obsession. It has an amazing soundtrack expertly lip-synched by the great Diane Lane. In an early role Willem Dafoe plays the creepy baddy, his climactic hammer fight is a highlight. Bye for now 1984, you are great.

Tickets: http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/news...aid=2366&PHPSESSID=potu3taoq70ipj6hu50391poc3

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Beverly Hills Cop
Decentish

Purple Rain
Great soundtrack, few great pits but only okay
Revenge of the Nerds
Meh

Dreadful

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
2nd poorest Indiana Jones movie

DOUBLE BILL: The Terminator / Streets of Fire
Classic / Never seen it, I assume they mean Walter Hill directed it ? He made some stinkers to be fair.

They should have done 1979

Alien, The Jerk, Apocalypse Now, Rocky II, China Syndrome and Manahattan. Classics.

Dan Hartman on the Streets Of Fire soundtrack is a total MT USA moment

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's not dan hartman in the video by the way.

Decentish - GREAT

Great soundtrack, few great pits but only okay - Haven't seen
Meh Pretty funny actually!

Dreadful Yeah, but in an amazing kind of way. THE SPICE MUST FLOW

2nd poorest Indiana Jones movie Absolutely. If this was Raiders, I'd be there. Raiders is UNBELIEVABLY GOOD in the cinema!

Classic / Never seen it, I assume they mean Walter Hill directed it ? He made some stinkers to be fair. GREATEST FILM EVER/Have to see that sometime

They should have done 1979

Alien, The Jerk, Apocalypse Now, Rocky II, China Syndrome and Manahattan. Classics.1979 would have been pretty sweet alright, already seen Alien in the cinema at least twice though. China Syndrome would be pretty cool - totally underrated one that!

Tried watching Raiders with my wife not too long ago. I was all like "this was my favourite film when I was a kid" We got about 20 mins in and she was all like "you were an idiot as a kid". Not her scene at all

Tried watching Raiders with my wife not too long ago. I was all like "this was my favourite film when I was a kid" We got about 20 mins in and she was all like "you were an idiot as a kid". Not her scene at all
I think you'll find that your wife is the idiot.

I watched it with my girlfriend who has 3 sisters and no brothers and therefore hadn't seen any Star Wars or Indianna Jones. (I know, she's a freak, I've told her) She wasn't mad on Star Wars but loved Indy. Except the 2nd one which to be fair isn't great.

Actually now that I think about it, it was Temple of Doom we were watching.

And she kind of had a point.

I still thought it was great

What did you think of the last one, Washing? I was berated here for saying I loved it.

My main problem with it, of many problems was that the first 3 dealt with real world history and real world evil, i.e holy grails, jesus's challace and the Nazis. and then Cartoonised them.

That makes for great cinema because it takes real myths and legends which are fascinating to begin with, and even when it leaves the realms of reality you can't help but go along with it because it's just so darn mysterious and skillful. The ideas are good because they're based on primitive technology, and on another level, that primitive technology is being explored using primitive technology by todays standards.

So when Indy uses the staff with the sun shining through it onto the models, to find the location of the Ark and then has to use a horse to catch a nazi tank it's all very limited in scope and Spielberg makes the best of the limitations and you can't help but go along with it because in a way it's all very simplistic. It's just metal vs wood.

The problem with the last one is that it leaves all of that iconography and primitiveness behind and tries to make aliens as interesting in the same way. It doesn't work because it gives the film licence to run off and do whatever it wants. So instead of Horse versus Tank it's far more Special effect versus Special effect and thusly the whole tone and charm of the first 3 movies is lost. The whole family aspect seemed tacked on in order to make sure the franchise continues and I really just didn't like it. There are some good set pieces though. It's like Tintin and Warhorse in a way, it gets the tone wrong but there are moments of magic. The falcon chase in Tintin for example is the best thing Spielberg has done since Jurrassic Park.

I don't think Indy 4 is as bad as it's made out to be. If I was 8 I'd probably like it, probably as much as Jumanji but not as much as the real classics from the 80s. Unlike The Star Wars prequels which would bore me to tears if I was 8.

I didn't like the aliens myself, but they were almost incidental to the film really, while being central to it at the same time. I thought the special effects were meant to be another silly gag.

Just get stoned to the eyeballs they will all be grand.
Revenge Of The Nerds, Temple Of Doom, Ace !

Let me say this again there is no "Have To" involved with me and drugs. And certainly not because as you say something in my life is SHIT!

Let me say this again there is no "Have To" involved with me and drugs. And certainly not because as you say something in my life is SHIT!
You've lost me there, I was talking about a film being shit. I'm glad your life is not shit.

The Wall. There's another film that you "have to" be on drugs to enjoy. and it is totally shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back