Best/ Worst Irish Books (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Best:
n3869.jpg

Worst:
0749399902.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hmm. Bestest is 'Ulysses' or 'The Unnameable' (Beckett not Lovecraft) but I've a real soft spot for Aidan Higgins' 'Balcony Of Europe' and the shamefully out of print 'Meusli At Midnight' by Aidan Matthews.

Worst? Oh I dunno, I tend not to bother finishing books I think are poorly written. I did think 'oh dear, we've been here before' about thirty pages into Patrick McCabe's 'Call Me The Breeze'. He keeps writing the same book again and again.

I did think 'oh dear, we've been here before' about thirty pages into Patrick McCabe's 'Call Me The Breeze'. He keeps writing the same book again and again.

he does alright. i remember reading an interview with him about 8 or 9 years ago in which he said he was going to change his style because his books up to that point were more or less the same. then i bought his next book thinking it'd be different and it was more of the same. i'll never read another of his books, although none of the ones i have read were terrible or anything. Inish Owen by Joseph O'Connor was a load of cack.

best... umm... i liked the third policeman a lot, and the whereabouts of eneas mcnulty by sebastian barry was excellent too.

g'jaysus, now i dont know if i've read that much irish literature when i think about it.........under the hawthorn tree i read about ten times when i was 9.........

i really did NOT enjoy the gathering by anne enright though so i'll vote that as worst?

i really did NOT enjoy the gathering by anne enright though so i'll vote that as worst?[/quote]
I thought that was great!
Don't read much Irish usually - But of stuff read recently, The Gathering and Blackwater Lightship
Worst will have to be P.S. I love you and similar chick-lit crap.

Ah it has to be
200px-FlannO'BrianAtSwimTwoBirds.jpg

Worst, because I know people involved in the story and because she distorted a fucking horrible event into something ambiguous, and against the express wishes of the family, and also because she can't write for toffee

0618339655.gif

I haven't read enough books by irish authors to really choose properly, but I really enjoyed the Ginger Man and the Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B by JP Donleavy (american but pretty much a naturalised irishman). I liked walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan as well as McGahern's and Flann O'Brien's stuff. I've read Ulysses, Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist but, impressive though they are, they had little emotional hold over me.

on fiction, i really liked zoli by colum mccann, i always really enjoyed the 3 jjoyce books i';'ve read though the best of them was Portrait of the artist but i've just finished it this week so a bit biased. non-fiction, both manchan magan's book were great reads

actual;ly i don't read alot of irish book so i'll shut up

best: "the third policeman" by flann o'brien. i have never tired of reading this, the mood seems to change everytime. surrealist perfection: mitchum, i prefer "finnegans wake" as my favourite joyce work.

worst: anything by roddy doyle. yes, he may not strike you as especially dismal, but doyle offers a particularly repugnant example of derivation. just like irvine welch, he "MEANS IT MAAAAN" 'cos 'e spok' in' der' fookin' venaculah', buh'. who gives a shit about gimmicks like this, when "the commitments" stands as a deeply patronising testament to irish self-hatred.

"Sophisticated Boom Boom" by John Kelly is the worst Irish book i've started to read. The writing was so bad I stopped after a few pages.

great song buh

anyway, all the best Irish books were written by Eilis Dillon and are about islands off the coast of Galway and curraghs

dcover

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back