Holiday book (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
The Algebraist or Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi). First one for more fun, the second for more head-melt (but not too much head-melt - none of yer time travel or multiverses or any of that shite)

Happiness by Niall Williams. A fucking delightful part coming-of-age part-older-person-romance thing, with trad music, set in Co. Clare

The Happy Return by C.S. Forester (or any of the books in that series). Rip-roaring adventures on the high seas, I listened to a bunch of these on audiobook and they were fucking class

Also if you've never read Catch-22 it's probably my favourite book ever. That and Slaughterhouse 5

Oh and The Once and Future King is a great big doorstopper of a thing, a good bet if you're stuck with nothing to do. It's the King Arthur story. The first section of it is essentially a (very good) kids book, and the last section of it is a bit shit, but the rest of it is amazing

The Algebraist or Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks (sci-fi). First one for more fun, the second for more head-melt (but not too much head-melt - none of yer time travel or multiverses or any of that shite)

Happiness by Niall Williams. A fucking delightful part coming-of-age part-older-person-romance thing, with trad music, set in Co. Clare

The Happy Return by C.S. Forester (or any of the books in that series). Rip-roaring adventures on the high seas, I listened to a bunch of these on audiobook and they were fucking class

Also if you've never read Catch-22 it's probably my favourite book ever. That and Slaughterhouse 5

Oh and The Once and Future King is a great big doorstopper of a thing, a good bet if you're stuck with nothing to do. It's the King Arthur story. The first section of it is essentially a (very good) kids book, and the last section of it is a bit shit, but the rest of it is amazing
Excellent recommendations . I've read a few of these ..well The banks and Vonnegut and catch 22

Thin Air by Richard Morgan is a good sci-fi one. Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds is fairly hefty and good (bit like the Rama books by Clarke though). Rejoice - A Knife To The Heart by Steven Erikson is good craic, utopian near-future sci-fi that Banks would have liked.

I'm about halfway through this

(Pete Paphides' memoir)

I have to admit to knowing almost nothing about him before reading it, but the book itself is a hoot. He'd be of our vintage so a lot of his recollections from his childhood will strike a chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back