Best Of 2006 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter BC
  • Start date
  • Replies 131
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 10
Oh shit! Forgot my favourite record along with 'the Obliterati' was...

h43429hkp8h.jpg

AND how could I leave out 'the very best of Men's Recovery Project'! 'A Senile Animal' was pretty rocking too.

Favourite 7" : 'Go lucky' by the Curtains.

Mostly bought old stuff. Judee Sill was more of a last year discovery for me. She is amazing. And I may as well continue the concurment of her brillance within this thread...

Oh shit! Forgot my favourite record along with 'the Obliterati' was...

h43429hkp8h.jpg

AND how could I leave out 'the very best of Men's Recovery Project'! 'A Senile Animal' was pretty rocking too.

Favourite 7" : 'Go lucky' by the Curtains.

Mostly bought old stuff. Judee Sill was more of a last year discovery for me. She is amazing. And I may as well continue the concurment of her brillance within this thread...

She was one of those people I kept seeing references to (Uncut *love* her)...I didn't get Heart Food until I went to London at the start of the year, I hadn't seen her stuff in Cork/Galway...you Dublin dwellers don't know how lucky ye are!
Anyway. She rocks. The end.

nah last year.good one though.

what's that knife album like?i see it got pitchfork's record of the year but i've long since stopped trusting those guys. Xiu Xiu not even in their top50, justin timberlake getting song of the year !zed

It was the end of last year BSS's latest one came out so, I remember getting it when I was in galway, in the record store I worked in, so it must have been before Christmas. I love love love 'you forgot it in people' (thanks to Chad!) and was super excited because I got the first copy of BSS in the shop - the one with the extra ep. Happy days.

Silent Shout's really cool - totally different to the last album, less of the caribbean drum sounds and more like a techno album, much more minimalistic. no 'pop' songs like Hearbeats, as usual quite obscure lyrics. A grower.

It was the end of last year BSS's latest one came out so, I remember getting it when I was in galway, in the record store I worked in, so it must have been before Christmas. I love love love 'you forgot it in people' (thanks to Chad!) and was super excited because I got the first copy of BSS in the shop - the one with the extra ep. Happy days.

The Broken Social Scene LP didn't actually get an official Irish release until early Jan, it was available on import from Oct/Nov onwards of last year so it made it to my list:)
Shit i dug this year (in no particular order)

Grizzly Bear/Subtle/Isis/Casiotone For The Painfully Alone/Beirut/Au Revoir Simone/BSS/Hot Chip/Neil Young/Yo La Tengo/TV On The Radio/Islands/Si Schroeder/Crayonsmith/Mates of State/Joanna Newsom/Sonic Youth/Midlake (thanks Aoife!)/blah blah etc...

Live-Melvins,Flipper,Threads,SunnO))),Hjerte Stop,Gasmask Terror,FVK/Cro Mags,Shame Academy,Army Of Flying Robots,Face Up to It!

Records-Melvins,Fucked Up,Government Warning,Direct Control,Pissed Jeans,Poison Idea,Criminal Damage,Career Suicide,Vicious,Carbonas,Mission Of Burma,Darvocets,The John Joseph audio book,Sex Vid,Hjerte Stop,Cheap Trick,Threads,Radio Birdman

Reissues/old stuff finally released-The Fix,Koro,Crass,Deep Wound,Siege,Los Invasores,sonics Rendezvous Band

And probably tons and tons more I don't remember.

Luxembourg's Front was album of the year for me

other good'uns were Left by Hope Of The States, the Guillemots album, mogwai, Saso

not that great a year though, in comparison with the one previous

The Broken Social Scene LP didn't actually get an official Irish release until early Jan, it was available on import from Oct/Nov onwards of last year so it made it to my list:)
Ah Ciarán, you're a fountain of knowledge! :) So it must have been jan that I got it, 'cos like I said it came into the shop, I didn't order it. Now I can put it on my list! yay! I also forgot Yo La Tengo...

Shit i dug this year (in no particular order)

Grizzly Bear/Subtle/Isis/Casiotone For The Painfully Alone/Beirut/Au Revoir Simone/BSS/Hot Chip/Neil Young/Yo La Tengo/TV On The Radio/Islands/Si Schroeder/Crayonsmith/Mates of State/Joanna Newsom/Sonic Youth/Midlake (thanks Aoife!)/blah blah etc...

As for Midlake - .|..|I knew you'd love 'em, given the fact we appear to have remarkably similar tastes (well, except for Isis et al) most of the time!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Get Lonely is pretty solid. Title track is the best thing on it.
Of the 4AD LPs, The Sunset Tree and Get Lonely are far better than Tallahassee and We Shall All be Healed.

However - the best stuff the Mountain Goats did remains the early, less polished material - like Zopilote Machine, Sweden and Full Force Galesburg.

new mp3 from forthcoming album up on www.mountain-goats.net already, in a home-demo style. 'come, come to the sunset tree' is worth tracking down - it's the vinly-only, home demos of the sunset tree tracks...

BEST GIGS... RICHARD HAWLEY IN WHELANS.

SILVER JEWS IN VANCOUVER.

PHOENIX IN SPIRIT.

HIEROGLYPHICS IN CRAWDADDY.

CAME SO FAR FOR BEAUTY.

THE BEST MUSIC RELATED STORY HAS TO BE KEITH RICHARDS FALLING OUT OF THAT TREE.

THE GIGS THAT WERE BEST AT BEING WORST WERE...

STEVE REICH....PSYCHIC DETECTIVE MUSIC IN THE RTE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK HALL

THE RETARDS THAT TIME THEY PLAYED IN THE HUB.

THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASACRE WHEN THEY PLAYED AT THAT SIDEBURN CONVENTION (HECTOR GRYE'S JOKE)

DJ PREMIER.... LAZY LAZY LAZY.

I'M PRETTY SURE UNITED BIBLE STUDIES PLAYED A BAD GIG TOO. LESS OF THE LEVITICUS PEOPLE.

FANNY DIGGIS AND HIS RIDICULOUS WASTE OF THE B.BALL ARENA IN TALLAGHT.

GAVIN FRIDAY GETS AN EXTRA SPECIAL MENTION FOR HIS DISGRACEFUL 'PERFORMANCE' AT THE LENNY COHEN TRIBUTE.

BEST FOOD OF THE YEAR.... BURRITOS

BEST DRINK OF THE YEAR....KAHLUA

BEST FART OF THE YEAR....THE ONE THAT SMELT INSTANTLY AND MADE ME FALL OFF MY CHAIR.

BEST RADIO OF THE YEAR....DIAMOND DAVID LEE ROTH UP UNTIL CHERNOV FUCKED HIM OVER. CBS BASTARDS.

ALLAHQUAAANNNNDO6!!!

Albums I liked:

Ulver - Blood Inside
Tool - 10,000 Days
Zombi - Surface to Air
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Isis - In the Absence of Truth
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Jesu - Silver
Om - Conferance of the Birds
Scott Reeder - TunnelVision Brilliance
Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens
Wire - Pink Flag
Sunn0))) & Boris - Altar
Harvey Milk - Special Wishes
Boris - Pink
Final - 3
Earth - Live Hex
Current 93 - Black Ships Ate the Sky
Scott Walker - The Drift
Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights
Gregor Samsa - 55:12
Anoice - Remmings
MGR - Nova Lux
Russian Circles - Enter
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of the 12 Stars
Enslaved - Runn
Envy - Insomniac Doze

Gigs I enjoyed:

Roger Waters
David Gilmour
Neurosis
Scott Kelly
Red Sparowes (x2)
Isis (x2)
Cave In
Tool (x2)
Six Organs of Admittance (x3)
ATP Nightmare Before Christmas
Comets on Fire
Boris
Gang Gang Dance
Mono
Baroness & Torche
Sunn0))) (x3)
Earth
Battles
Reverend Bizarre
Emperor
Cap Pas Cap 12" launch
Electric Wizard & Cathedral

I think that's it.

Brightblack Morning Light-s/t
Nina Nastatia-On Leaving
Beirut-Gulag Orkestar
Subtle-For hero: For Fool
3Epkano-s/t
Scott Walker-The Drift
Burial-s/t
Juana Molina-Son
Spank Rock-YoYoYoYoYo
Francois Breut-Une Saison Voleé
Viking Moses-Crosses

Live:
Bonny 'Prince' Billy-Whelan's
dEUS/Gang of Four/DJ Shadow-Electric Picnic
Kaplin/Stagger Lee-The Hub
E+S=B-The Hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back