Best Irish Football Players Ever: Top 60 (1 Viewer)

It's maybe time we got real about our football legends most of them were shite and won fuck all. Still we qualified for the world cup quarter finals with them.

We got to the quarter finals with a very decent international team, who happened to play pretty torridly for most of the WC. But look at the squad from 87-90. That was far from shite. Those were formidable teams (bar the odd dodgy right back selection!). Fucking hell, it would make you cry compared to now.

Okay that side was exceptional. That wasn't quite what I was trying to say either, a lot of sides before and since have been made up of pretty average players who never cut it at the top level but we have fond memories of them. the 1994 side for example had Alan Kernighan, Eddie McGoldrick, Phil Babb and the likes in it 2002 had plenty of rotten players but we were a cunt hair away from beating Spain. Shite was perhaps too strong a word. That post was supposed to be patriotic in a weird way. I was pissed.

I guess:

1. McGrath
2. Keane Roy
3. Brady
4. Giles
5. Keane, Robbie (goals)
6. Stapleton
7. Irwin
8. Bonner
9. Moran
10. O'Leary

6-8 the most interchangeable

This relates back to the "Ireland XI" thread that was on a while back really, doesn't it? Here's my real Ireland XI, and not just a piss-take one:

Given

Irwin McGrath Moran O'Leary (He played left-back the odd time, right?)

Brady Giles Keane Duff

Quinn Keane (but only alongside Quinn!)

Maybe I'd have Stapleton for the Shite Keane

Actually scrap that

McGrath

McGrath McGrath McGrath McGrath

McGrath McGrath McGrath McGrath

McGrath McGrath

I too do not agree but still playing Devils advocate Keane did win pretty much everything possible at club level whereas McGrath won very little. Just saying.

McGrath would have put his bollox in a bears mouth for Ireland, Keane couldn't deal with having to pay for his own Pizza.

McGrath would have won everything if he had played for a good team, instead of Villa.

I have nothing against Robbie Keane when he is playing alongside Niall Quinn. Ever since then he's become a lazy moany bastard. If he spent half as much time playing football as he does moaning about things, he'd have scored about 90 goals by now.

In saying that, can't deny he can find the net when he gets a chance, as long as it's not on his head.

McGrath would have won everything if he had played for a good team, instead of Villa.

I have nothing against Robbie Keane when he is playing alongside Niall Quinn. Ever since then he's become a lazy moany bastard. If he spent half as much time playing football as he does moaning about things, he'd have scored about 90 goals by now.

In saying that, can't deny he can find the net when he gets a chance, as long as it's not on his head.
mcgrath could have won everything if he wasn't a raging alcoholic, you mean. lets not forget, he did play for a good team, and was turfed out because of his boozing. he was indulged at villa, because they weren't great, even though they won some tin and challenged for the title when he was there. his inability to train may have been viewed differently at a team that required utter commitment to the cause of winning shit. he was great, as a crocked boozer, it hurts to think what a sober, adjusted mcgrath could have achieved.

It's worth remembering that Roy Keane was also supposedly given the quit the boozing or fuck off ultimatum by Alex Ferguson and he quit the booze and won shit loads of medals.

.... Before storming out of the world cup like a spoilt brat who had won loads of medals and expected higher standards than the FAI could provide.

Just saying like.

.... Before storming out of the world cup like a spoilt brat who had won loads of medals and expected higher standards than the FAI could provide.

Just saying like.

Not a football person, but i did read that book about roy keane, which no doubt is 100% biased, but i did side with him on the world cup thing after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back