Belfast in a day (1 Viewer)

you guyz are the best :heart:

so I went on saturday and mostly just pottered about (as per ann post ; s suggestion). Didn't really have enough time in the end to consider doing one of those tours (though will deffo go back at some stage and do one). Its a deadly city. I was well impressed with the place. It is small enough, but I'd concur with what was said here in that it felt very safe and is a hell of a lot cleaner than Dublin (the shithole).

I don't have too many recollections of visiting there during the troubles (cos I was well young the last time I was up there) but I did still feel that sense of the place being so completely different. I recall the army checkpoints after the border on the way up, and also the checkpoints in the city itself, before you entered a major shopping street. The police presence there is very minimal (as it should be) and the place just feels normal.

Theres barely a trace that the troubles ever even happened, in the city center anyway. I saw one bit of graffiti when leaving (near Divis - something about Joe McDonnell) but that was about it.

And then when I get home I hear of a couple of bombs being found on the Donegall Road (near the hospital) while we were there. That would barely register as news these days as it'd be more likely to happen in Dublin than Belfast, but a bit of embellishment and melodramatisation of the event to my foreign friend seemed to go down well!

Good job Belfast. Everyone should go visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back