Beach House, Whelan's, Feb 13 (1 Viewer)

Foggy

BEACH HOUSE

& Lawrence Arabia (NZ / Bella Union)

Whelan’s
Saturday February 13th
7.30pm

Tix: www.tickets.ie, Road Records, City Discs, WAV & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

BEACH HOUSE return in January 2010 with Teen Dream, their third - and first classic - album, on Bella Union records.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

“Delicate, lovelorn pop”
Pitchforkmedia – 8.5/10

“a record of autumnal beauty, all golds and browns, which evokes with extraordinary vividness a picture of a seaside resort shutting up shop and preparing for less populous months to come… A great new find.”
Sunday Times

“should be the soundtrack to a misty French film… deeply atmospheric and stirring”
The Guardian – 4 stars ***

“To say this record elevates the band far above the swollen ranks of shuffling shoegazers currently doing the rounds is putting it mildly”
Drowned in Sound – 9/10

“Ever wondered how Nico might sound after a day’s sunbathing? Well, wonder no longer because the gorgeous debut album by Beach House gives you some idea…”
The Times

“magical folk-pop from Franco-American duo. Recorded in Baltimore but haunted by opium dreams of Paris… there are exquisite moments here that recall Mazzy Star, Nico-era Velvets and even Radiohead.”
Uncut

The Beach House you’re about to meet isn’t the same as the one you’ll remember from before. Lives have been shuffled, tangled and re-aligned. When Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally returned home to their hometown of Baltimore last winter, they were worn out from touring and travel. But deep inside them hot energies were incubating, ideas they had been whispering back and forth in the wake of their sophomore full-length, 2008’s “Devotion”. By spring they began handing themselves over completely to these impulses, holing themselves up and exchanging ideas in a new, secluded practice space for dangerously long periods of time. As the songs that would become “Teen Dream” began to live, breathe and take shape, the duo were compelled to leave much of their personal lives behind them. “We were forced to let go of people and things we were holding onto as individuals” Legrand muses. “We were dropped into a wilderness, but we had more clarity than we’ve ever had before”.

Still driven to avoid distraction, the two marched further into isolation, deciding to bottle all those wild visions away from home. They packed up their lives and settled into a converted church in upstate New York with producer Chris Coady. For a month they continued the birthing process, sweating and pushing out sounds inside a cocoon of their very own weaving. They chased down songs and dark rushes, the creative telepathy that Scally and Legrand share together taking a strangely physical hold. “There’s a different level of intimacy, and physicality, on Teen Dream”, Legrand explains… “Rhythmically, there’s a new motion. This record touches you”.

Teen Dream is the sound of a band bursting at its creative seams. It is without question more expansive and moving than anything they have shared before. Teen Dream is released 25th January on Bella Union records. Beach House have recently signed to Sub Pop in the US.

LAWRENCE ARABIA (NZ / Bella Union)

Lawrence Arabia is the musical guise of New Zealand artist James Milne. In 2006 Lawrence Arabia released his self titled debut album and the debut album his band The Reduction Agent, The Dance Reduction Agents. Both albums were nominated for several Bnet awards, New Zealand's public voted alternative radio awards.
Milne has been involved in the internationally successful pop group The Brunettes and toured as bass player for American band Okkervil River and toured with Feist. He has also produced music for film and theater including songs that appeared in Taika Waititi's Eagle vs Shark

http://www.myspace.com/lawrencearabia

Can't wait for this. I was stuck in an hour-long queue outside the last time I tried to see them. Teen Dream is utterly wonderful. Almost my favourite new album I've listened to this year.

when abouts did Beach House release an album this year?

I must have missed that. I did hear new music from them on the radio the other day but I figured they were going to be releasing something. The song I heard sounded good. Better than anything off Devotion, which I thought was good but gets a little boring after a while.

I don't see any new one on Road's website.

Edit: Oh right, I see it in Foggy's blurb there. Its not out yet.

Teen Dream is quite a bit more uptempo for sure. Loving the last three songs in particular - Ten Mile Stereo and Take Care are probably the best things they've done. Looking forward to this gig a lot, they surprised me with how good they were last time.

when abouts did Beach House release an album this year?

I must have missed that. I did hear new music from them on the radio the other day but I figured they were going to be releasing something. The song I heard sounded good. Better than anything off Devotion, which I thought was good but gets a little boring after a while.

I don't see any new one on Road's website.

Edit: Oh right, I see it in Foggy's blurb there. Its not out yet.

ne'er mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back