Bass Sansamp DI's - any use? (2 Viewers)

95% of live engineers are terrified to put a mic in front of a bass amp.
These tend to be the same 95% that won't try to make the DI sound like the amp.

yeah, whats the fucking story with that? i've gotten all sorts of excuses but its generally, "we haven't enough mics" which, especially with the corpo, is bullshit. what i do is a ask for something like a 57 on a the cab and get the engineer to feed that back through the monitors. make 'em work.

Abso-ma-fuckin-lutely.
Frankly, if I were a bass player I would refuse use of a DI, particularly if I had any kind of grit or distortion as part of my sound.
Bring your own mic in case they try to pull the 'not enough mics' excuse.

I imagine they couldn't be arse dealing with the low end

I've a behringer v-amp bass and always meant to bring to gigs, send the DI out from that and send an line level signal to the onstage amp... you could route the two outputs on the v-amp for that, handy little (plastic!) box

I have a Sansamp BDDI.
I always used it instead of the house D.I.
I'd put the Sansamp after all my effects so they'd go through the P.A. too.

I've heard stories of a U.S. band touring with an Ampeg SVT on stage which was just a shell of an amp & the sound was coming from a Sansamp pedal.
The SVT was just for show,

It's great for home recording too.

Also, the voltage is irrelevant.
It the power adaptor that runs on either 110V or 220V, not the pedal.

A U.S. power adaptor takes in 100V & puts out 9V to the pedal.
A Euro adaptor takes in 220V & puts out 9V too.

All you'd need is a standard Boss 9V adaptor & you'd be fine.

The only time I got the chance to avoid the dreaded D.I. (which I fucking hate using) was at the Balroom Of Romance gig we played.
I was using my Ampeg 8x10 so it didn't need to be mic-ed.

The Sansamp is sitting on my desk here in work, wanna go home and crank this baby up...

No power supply included anyway so I'll pick up the standard 9V later on. I'll do the same as above, sansamp driving my tone so no more watered down bass sound live, or staring daggers at the oblivious sound guy .|..|

Sans amps are great, but I wouldn't recommend relying on your monitor mix for a bass "amp".

Most venues don't have full range monitors (they're fine for vox and guitars - even keys, but cant really handle the low end power of bass guitars), so can't really give you a good level of bass through them without risking blowing them.

No I'm gonna use whatever amps are going for onstage monitor, just with no tone shaping needed from them now. For practice or in case I've to supply amp for gigs I'm dusting off an 80Watt Peavey that is small but sturdy and can mix it with the big boys, a little like Claude Makelele

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back