Bass Amplification (1 Viewer)

Lord Damian

so the Fender BXR combo i've been using for the last 13-14 years just crapped out on me and i have a few gigs coming up...was going to start looking for a new bass head/cab anyhow, but i've been out of the loop for a long time now that i don't have an idea of what's out there and don't want to rush into buying anything. might have to rent something for the gigs and buy later.

anyone care to recommend quality classic or new amp "solutions"? i can't access a lot of 'shopping' related sites at work, so any help will really be appreciated.

I like Ashdowns.You can get a good head head and cab off them for about 700euro and then pretty much pay what you want for the higher end models.

I have a Mag 250 and Ashdown 1 x 15 and its grand.I'd like an extra cab though maybe a 4x10.

I'd love a tube ashdown but unfortunatly that will have to wait till next summer.

i should mention that i'd really prefer a classic amp, but have no idea what's out there.

I have seen old Marshall super Bass tube amps go pretty cheap i.e around 400 euro or so on forums and ebay.

They are only 100 watts though so you pretty much have to D.I. it.I played through one at a gig last year.Nice sound but like I said,they are quiet.

I have seen old Marshall super Bass tube amps go pretty cheap i.e around 400 euro or so on forums and ebay.

They are only 100 watts though so you pretty much have to D.I. it.I played through one at a gig last year.Nice sound but like I said,they are quiet.
is that a combo or a head/cab situation? when i said i wanna classic "amp" i think i was a bit misleading...i really wanna head/cab dealio.

ever play an Ampeg Brian? what about a early 80's-era Peavey? i just remembered playing an old Peavey set-up and it was really nice...might have to check them out.

cheers though for the info.

is that a combo or a head/cab situation? when i said i wanna classic "amp" i think i was a bit misleading...i really wanna head/cab dealio.

ever play an Ampeg Brian? what about a early 80's-era Peavey? i just remembered playing an old Peavey set-up and it was really nice...might have to check them out.

cheers though for the info.

Ashdown are heads and cabs..you can get combos alright though if you want one.Im not sure they do tube combos but I could be wrong.Defo check their site.

Gallien Kruger...the expensive ones..the cheap ones are muck...have a deadly punch out of them too.

My Bren has one of those old Peaveys and runs it through an 8x10 and it sounds great.

The Marshall is a tube head.Not sure what you would pay for a cab.I played it through an old Marshall 2x15.Great tone like,I tried to buy one a while ago but unfortunatly the deal fell through.

Yeah I played through Ampegs a few times.They are good but really overdriven anytime I played through them.You would get as good an amp for cheaper if you are going down the valve road.The cabs are stupidly expensive aswell.

I have a Peavey head Damian. I think it sounds really good. Didn't cost the earth when I bought it either ....

I think the Ampegs are a bit hit and miss. Have played through one that sounded amazing, others that sounded awful though .. really muffly with no real definition.

I have a Peavey head Damian. I think it sounds really good. Didn't cost the earth when I bought it either ....

I think the Ampegs are a bit hit and miss. Have played through one that sounded amazing, others that sounded awful though .. really muffly with no real definition.

cool - i'm definitely thinking Peavey now, unless i can find a nice sounding old Ampeg stack. will have a good look this weekend around all the shops while i'm scoping out for that Tele!

cool - i'm definitely thinking Peavey now, unless i can find a nice sounding old Ampeg stack. will have a good look this weekend around all the shops while i'm scoping out for that Tele!

Cool. You must have played through my Peavey when you were over here didn't you?

By the way .. I remember looking at these Canadian made bass heads in Toronto. Can't remember what they were called. Checked them out afterwards and people say they are like Ampegs but a lot cheaper .....

On the Tele front: starting to seriously think also about a second-hand Gibson (lp junior or sg) so if you happen to see a bargain on one of them lemme know!

Cool. You must have played through my Peavey when you were over here didn't you?

By the way .. I remember looking at these Canadian made bass heads in Toronto. Can't remember what they were called. Checked them out afterwards and people say they are like Ampegs but a lot cheaper .....

On the Tele front: starting to seriously think also about a second-hand Gibson (lp junior or sg) so if you happen to see a bargain on one of them lemme know!

oh right yeah....keep forgetting about the Gibsons you mentioned. no worries, i'll find something!

I really liked the sound from your Peavey head when I played through it.

There's something I don't like about Ampegs. I think it may be people having them set way too trebley for my liking, they're also way too expensive.

I'm planning on getting an Ashdown when I get some cash together come summer time.

Damo, Traynor YBA 1. Its a bass head that sounds great with axe. Get a decent power amp with it and a nice cab. it will growl like a fatherraper. saw pleanty in TO.

or you could just kop-the-fuck-on and use your bassman.

and yeah, hughs head is fucking great. its a Mark III XP Series 300. solid state but really warm sounding, and is, as far as i can tell, totally indestructable.

and answer your emails. don't care how busy you are, bitch.

Damo, Traynor YBA 1. Its a bass head that sounds great with axe. Get a decent power amp with it and a nice cab. it will growl like a fatherraper. saw pleanty in TO.

or you could just kop-the-fuck-on and use your bassman.

and yeah, hughs head is fucking great. its a Mark III XP Series 300. solid state but really warm sounding, and is, as far as i can tell, totally indestructable.

and answer your emails. don't care how busy you are, bitch.
oh, you'd just LOVE for me to own an amp called a 'Mark' III, wouldn't ya????

let me get this straight...the Traynor is a bass head but needs a power amp as well? huh?

as for the bassman, i fucked it by using it for bass for mackey+ practices...i'll fix her up and use it for guitar, but not for bass.

Ampegs are really over priced Crates with another badge on them; they come off the same factory line. Have you looked into nice (i.e. not Workingman) SWR's? I had the Redhead and a cab out and gigged with it for years. Brilliant amps and great cabinets, tough as nails too.

Ampegs are really over priced Crates with another badge on them; they come off the same factory line. Have you looked into nice (i.e. not Workingman) SWR's? I had the Redhead and a cab out and gigged with it for years. Brilliant amps and great cabinets, tough as nails too.
dude, i haven't looked into ANYTHING yet. i was hoping the nice folks of thumped would do it for me.

the Ampegs i was thinking about were the old (ie. 60's) ones. did Crate even exist back then?

i dunno. i'll have to 'shop around' as they say. fucking HATE playing in guitar shops amongst all the showoffs, but i guess i'll have to.

let me get this straight...the Traynor is a bass head but needs a power amp as well? huh?

the traynors don't need a power amp, they get plenty loud, but they will break up when you really push them. thats why i think a power amp may be usefull, so you could get the cleaner tone at a higher volume. just a thought really. that shop capsule (down beyond blackbird, not far from the drake) always had a decent selection of traynors.

thats crappy about the bassman.

This makes no sense, it's originally a bass amp!? I shouldn't break if you play bass through it.
i was playing active pickups thru it, plus i had it daisy chained. plus i haven't changed the tubes in about 10 years. it's on my list of "things to do in 2007".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back