Basic income for artists (1 Viewer)

Any idea how were the artists picked?

I remember reading about 14-15 years ago that Lasse Marhaug (noise artist for over 30 years and sometime metaller) had gotten an artist's grant for a year - I think 30,000 was mentioned.
Marhaug was first Norwegian noise artist to release a record. I also heard some black metal musicians got Norwegian arts grants.

The Young Gods got a French government grant in the late 1980's for promoting the French language - despite being from Suisse.
For the Basic Income scheme, you just had to demonstrate you had previously produced a form of art, within a certain time frame. I think for musicians, you had to have released something within the last two years, or performed publically. It was a reasonably loose criteria, from which they picked 2000 people at random.

Few of my mates who are well outside any golden arts circle got it.
Insane Clown Posse Celebs GIF

worth noting that this scheme costs about €34m over two years.
to put that into perspective, the greyhound racing industry gets a grant of €19m p.a. so this costs the country less than that.

worth noting that this scheme costs about €34m over two years.
to put that into perspective, the greyhound racing industry gets a grant of €19m p.a. so this costs the country less than that.
Less again, I'd say, cos it probably just replaces the dole for most people

I feel obliged to point out though that comparing this to greyhound racing doesn't really tell you much. The Arts Council gets around 135M a year. The GAA got 31M in 2020

Last edited:
I have no interest in him but curious as to what he’s done for you to have become his nemesis?
Colm Toibin is the arch establishment of the Irish literary scene with official roles to that effect. He always acted as such anyway.
He writes lightweight paddy whackery novels and is somehow taken seriously.
Toibin is everything an Irish writer shouldn't aspire to be.

Colm Toibin is the arch establishment of the Irish literary scene with official roles to that effect. He always acted as such anyway.
He writes lightweight paddy whackery novels and is somehow taken seriously.
Toibin is everything an Irish writer shouldn't aspire to be.
Not saying you don't have your reasons, but the Magician was good

And I enjoyed Brooklyn tbh. Thought he did well on the pettiness/begrudgery of small town Ireland.
I mean he's no McGahern or anything.

Each to their own and all

Not saying you don't have your reasons, but the Magician was good

And I enjoyed Brooklyn tbh. Thought he did well on the pettiness/begrudgery of small town Ireland.
I mean he's no McGahern or anything.

Each to their own and all
I used to live near Enniscorthy so it would be nice if the place's best known local was someone less smug.
The way Toibin cultivated his establishment father figure of the Irish cultural milieu and then was officially given the role makes me puke.

Pat Ingoldsby is someone 180 ° away from Toibin. An independent writer with an outsider's view and unique insightful observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back