Bands dealing with Irish politics/life?! (1 Viewer)

ISETFIRE

hey there everyone, I'm glad to have found this active forum!

I'm studying english over her in Munich, Germany. I'm currently in a region/culture-course about Ireland and we're supposed to give a report.
I didn't like the proposed topics, so instead I'd like to show how the "youth" of Ireland is feeling abou their own country, their future.

And what better speaking tube is there than the local HC-scene?!

I want to find out how the youth culture of Ireland is dealing with topics about politics but also their life in general. Topics like: happy with the courrent government?, development of the Northern Ireland conflict, what status does religion still has in Ireland/which status should it have?, immigration is becoming more important in Ireland, is there an active right radical racis scene?, what about personal future (job, unemployment)? stuff liek this

So, can you give me band names (with website) that explicitly deal with those topics?

I also could do a survey here on this board if enough people would agree take some time and participate.

Or maybe I do both, so please give me a quick shout, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks&take care!

Hanjo - isetfire

Maybe check out some Dagda lyrics, but its been a while since I read them. I believe there's references to sectarianism, though Glyn is a bit old to be representing the general opinions of Irish 'youth'.

There's The Steam Pig aswell for some darker reflections on Irish society.

The biggest political issues in Ireland at the mo' I guess are Immigration / The fall of the Catholic Church and child sexual abuse / Healthcare /

That's what seems to be in the news most often anyway.

ISETFIRE said:
I also could do a survey here on this board if enough people would agree take some time and participate.

I'd be willing to do it and at least it'll distract me from my junior cert for a while.

Carlow Punks! said:
Check out Mongolia, think they have a myspace.

we are highly political

grass1.jpg

ISETFIRE said:

Would be glad to help out.
Check out Skint, in particular their song ''Thief in the night'', it's about politicians getting back handers and all that trickery foolerly.

Come to think of it, a lot, if not all, Striknein DC lyrics revolve around governement corruption, marginalisation, discrimination, drug abuse, Celtic Tiger economy etc...

GORILLAMUNCH said:
oak proved to us that a catholic, a prod and a west brit could get past their differences and kick out some heavy shit

Which one of them lads is a fuckin prod???? :mad:

Easpa Measa have some lyrics dealing with Irish life

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back