Band or solo. Who's better on their todd? (2 Viewers)

Kermit McDermott

Name some artists that were in a known band, went solo and make better records as a solo artist. A matter of taste of course.

I sure there are people who prefer say Robert Plant's solo stuff to Led Zep or Frank Black solo to the Pixies or Paul McCartney solo to the Beatles, Mick Jagger to the Stones, David Byrne to talking heads, Sting's smug solo career to the police ect...Actually it's strange when you have a very dominant member of a band, who maybe write most of the songs. Everyone says they are "the band". They go solo..... and it's lame as shit.

Neil Young would be one. Definitley better solo.... Damien Rice, Justin Timberlake....

If you got the Gift, got rid of the shit songs and replaced them with b-sides, singles and out-takes from around and just after that period it would be the greatest jam album ever.

anyway

I prefer Paul Simon's solo stuff to his simon and garfunkel stuff.

except for all that filler on the early solo albums

Damien Rice

matador.jpg

On the left: you. On the right: the rest of Thumped.

Neil Young better solo? whaaaaat are you smoking?

all his best stuff was made with Crazy Horse and the Stray Gators!

Neil Young solo stuff is better then Crosbie, Still, Nash & Young.
I prefer Nick Caves solo stuff to The Birthday Party.
Dave Pajo's Papa M stuff to Slint.
Rory Gallagher to Taste.
Christy Moore to Planxty.

Also as much as I love Springsteen when he's got the rock n roll powerhouse that is the E-Street Band behind him, I've always preferred his more acoustic stuff.

If you got the Gift, got rid of the shit songs and replaced them with b-sides, singles and out-takes from around and just after that period it would be the greatest jam album ever.

anyway

I prefer Paul Simon's solo stuff to his simon and garfunkel stuff.

except for all that filler on the early solo albums

yep, those tunes on Extras etc would improve The Gift.

good call on Simon - especially the Hearts and Bones - Graceland - Rhythm Of The Saints triptych.

Bizarrely, the early Adam and the Ants stuff is less of a musical collaboration then Adam's so called 'solo' work

good call on Simon - especially the Hearts and Bones - Graceland - Rhythm Of The Saints triptych.

yeah, that's what I was thinking

what do people think about bowie and tin machine? got the first album the other day and i really like it - i like songs here and there from bowies back catalogue but in general i wouldnt be a huge fan. tin machine is doing it for me so far though, cant wait to get the other two albums

what do people think about bowie and tin machine? got the first album the other day and i really like it - i like songs here and there from bowies back catalogue but in general i wouldnt be a huge fan. tin machine is doing it for me so far though, cant wait to get the other two albums

first Tin Machine LP is good - way better than quite a few of Bowie's later efforts.

Saw them live in 1991.

Second album isn't great though.

its not nearly as metal or experimental as its generally written off as - quite a few catchy pop tunes on it. what were they like live?

Very tight - tunes were well played, concise with good hooks. It was just before the second LP was released. They played two gigs - Baggot Inn and The Waterfront within three or four days. I was at the Baggot Inn one. Actually the second album tracks sounded way better live as I recall. I was disappointed when I heard the LP a month later.

I love the New York Dolls,but I prefer Buster Poindexter solo.

I've never heard Buster Poindexter. I don't even know what to expect from him,I just always thoughtt he records looked so bad that despite regularly seeing them for next to nothing I've never even been tempted to by them.

the great Richard Hawley was in the awful Longpigs

I agree Rory Gallaghers stuff is better than Tastes

I like Morriseys stuff better than the Smiths- I'm probably wrong for that though

no idea who that is..

But Darrell Higham ( the name looks the same kindof ) is great if you like amazing rockabilly guitar playing

Christy Moore to Planxty.

Don't agree, at all. for a start planxty was a collaboration of different styles, and christy's solo career was the development of his own particular style and not very comparable to the group work as a whole. so i suppose it depends on whether you prefer moores rambling story tale songs or planxty's sublime musicianship and diversity.

Hmm, its arguable that Peter Gabriel, Lauryn hill, and eh, Robbie williams are examples of artists better on their own

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back