Ballroom of Romance - Terrible News (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Useless Information!!!Read Anyway!!!

Originally posted by captain anomie
The Original "Ballroom of Romance" was a Showband hall in Leitrim, as far as I know. I saw a picture of it in a book available from ABC bools letterkenny. It was black and white.
There's a film called the Ballroom of Romance which is set in Leitrim. That place should have got shut down - sure weren't the walls schwettin'!

Uh, the next BoR *is* on the 25th. Billy said stuff bout it being monthly now. Maybe. Unless that was a pre-April fool.

The Isaac Butt

We dont claim to be the best venue in Dublin. We hope we are a good small music venue with a great pa and lighting system. Nothing more nothing less. And despite what some people seem to think we are just interested in making money. We do HAVE to make money but we also want to give value for money. Our clubs (Except Grove) are free in and the music is the same as any of the indie clubs people pay into... SO SHit hole is a bit much.... Im open to debate on all of the above

Cheers

Dave Allen

shite, i didn't know about this. the one in june was supposed to be daemien frost's last ever gig in dublin too. and i never got to go to it :( but i know from the way people talked about it that it was a pretty special thing.

i did mention to billy about maybe working with him at one stage but there's very distinct differences to the lower deck and the sugar club. the sugar club costs 250 to rent on a friday night but they insist on putting on a cabaret band at 12 and the price gets hiked to 15 euros after 11. and the beer is a bit pricey. how much was the ballroom in? 5 euros? in the meantime, if i knew the same amount of people would turn up, the price could be kept at around 5 euros. the cd thing is really good, how much did it cost the ballroom dudes to produce these every time? i think people have reservations about the sugar club but a lot of these people, it turns out, have never been there. it's a really nice venue and the last S&P with playground and the fuzz was deadly... i'm sure, if the same amount of people would turn up, that something similar could be set up in the sugar club but it wouldn't be downstairs and it wouldn't be in the lower deck. but since i was never at the ballroom, i may be talking utter shite. and if spare time is an issue, i'd gladly help out. i'd like to keep sugar and spikes separate though because it's handy for putting on foreign bands who not many people know about on a friday night.

like, last S&P, i was able to pay both bands 90 euros, pay del 9 60, pay for the venue and posters and only 70 odd people payed in. if i'm right, a lot more people used to turn out to the ballroom so if you do the sums, the price could be kept pretty low if the right amount of people went.

shoot...

Re: The Isaac Butt

Originally posted by TheIsaacButt
We dont claim to be the best venue in Dublin. We hope we are a good small music venue with a great pa and lighting system. Nothing more nothing less. And despite what some people seem to think we are just interested in making money. We do HAVE to make money but we also want to give value for money. Our clubs (Except Grove) are free in and the music is the same as any of the indie clubs people pay into... SO SHit hole is a bit much.... Im open to debate on all of the above

Cheers

Dave Allen
Hi Dave how's it going? This is Alessandro of Morello. I didn't mean to be offensive when I said the Isaac Butt was a shit hole... not really, sorry. We played a trillion gigs there until one year ago (we've been working on an album and didn't gig since).

I heard about your Sunday Sessions and the good work you're doing there. However, if I can give my 2c, The Isaac Butt is a nice small venue but unfortunately, it suffers of quite a bad image and reputation: If you say anybody that you're in a band and play Isaac Butt they're going to think you suck and are being screwed up....

This is due to the awful lot of pay-to-play gigs and DREADFUL bands! I know this is not your case but anytime I went there I was charged 8 Euros to see 4 SHIT bands playing in front of their cousins and 20 or 30 people who didn't give a shit. This is why I stopped going.

I heard the Sunday Sessions are a different thing so... let people know this! A lot of work needs to be done to rebuild the image of the venue before it can take off.

Anyhoo, we'll restart gigging in August/September so let's keep in touch ok?

Take it easy, A.

THIS THREAD WAS AN APRIL FOOL'S
The ballroom is still on in the Lower Deck and will be for the forseeable future.

jebus wept. :rolleyes:

who else but the reverend himself?
problem is several people still think its true. gahd!

Sunday Sessions

I agree that we have a bad image and those awful 4 band bashes of old didnt help. But the deals now are pretty good. But i must say im amazed at the amount of bands still doing the four band bash and paying to do so... Doesnt make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back