Ballroom of Romance - Terrible News (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Bollocks. This sucks. Especially coz we were booked to play the next Ballroom. So its definitely all off for the 11th of April?

I really enjoyed goin to the Ballroom gigs, I hope its just a matter of shifting the venue to somewhere else as soon as possible. Coz its great. Don't let it fall apart. Like so many Northside discos. :(

Shambollix

If this isn't true, it's a sham. And if it is, it's a shame. The Ballroom of Romans was chronic gas, severe crack and pathologically good value. Plus, it was organised by a deadly bunch of people.

We'll miss you, Bally - please open somewhere else. Down with AIB!

Originally posted by dudley
be deadly in whelans once a month

I don't know about anyone else but I think there was something special about that particular venue that might not quite translate to Whelans. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? At the risk of sounding exclusive...em...it seemed that because the lower deck was slightly out of town only people who were really interested in seeing the bands went to it.

I'm going to get lynched for this aren't I? *sigh*

How about Kiely's in Donnybrook?

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
I don't know about anyone else but I think there was something special about that particular venue that might not quite translate to Whelans. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? At the risk of sounding exclusive...em...it seemed that because the lower deck was slightly out of town only people who were really interested in seeing the bands went to it.

I'm going to get lynched for this aren't I? *sigh*

How about Kiely's in Donnybrook?

damn straight. people moaned about the lack of venues and then the lads found a great one. it would'nt really be the ballroom anywhere else. having said that........(ideas?)

re: Kiely's in Donnybrook? thats not funny edel.

if yiz are not pullin' the piss (and billy, i just wouldn't believe a word you say on April 1st), just wanted to say that yiz all did great work and it'd be a shame to see it wind down just as it was getting a good name for itself. gave alot of bands a chance to play in a receptive atmosphere and meet up with other folks. helped the things stall become a regular thing. and some damn fine intimate preformances from various bands/acts. funny thing is me and hop were getting all wistful a few weeks back thinking of when the ballroom would be no more... didn't think it's happen so soon though.

great days, great days... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

OK ,um did you guys provide/rent your own pa etc or did you use the lower deck's.(essentially were you spendingmuch of your own cash on the thing?) There are interesting venues in dublin for stuff.
Plans, plots ahoy

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2

defo.
even on ro's album launch night the atmosphere was totally different to most live venues. prolly cos its a pub first and venue second i reckon. but it'd be hard to find a place that'd take 200+ people and keep the intimacy/undergroundness.

Hi all,
Just to let you know was on to Billums and its definitely not a wind up....
He's a pissed off as everyone!
Sorry all
:(

see, the Lower Deck is underground

perfectly suited to underground music

It's also a pub.

So the Ballrooms were very well suited to the public

And it's the Lower Deck. As in I'll deck yeh if yeh don't gimme yer walleh and phaon, yeh coont.

Crime, underground muzack and beer, what more could today's indie kids want?

Originally posted by Wilbert
What about finding a new home for it and spreading the responsibility for running it out amongst the other bands who have benefited from it.

Maybe a different band could look after it each month?

That could probably get messy because there might be varying degrees of committment/expertise from different bands...but the HGFs and Billy obviously are finding it a bit stressful and taxing as it is. Is there any way we could help without fucking it up completely. Maybe yis could continue to book the bands, and, like with the stall, appoint someone who could do the door, burn the cds, sticker the cds, etc. on the night so yous weren't doing everything yourselves.

Please don't take it away.

i was thinking about grays of newmarket square. its a bit far, but then again so is the lower deck.

and its free to book on thursdays now that neuromantek and full stop are both gone.

Originally posted by herv
i was thinking about grays of newmarket square. its a bit far, but then again so is the lower deck.

and its free to book on thursdays now that neuromantek and full stop are both gone.

*sigh* But what about the heroin addiction inspired violence? Scary.

bit small though, non?

(caveat: have only been in grays when pissed. may have missed large tracts of it in my drunken bumblings)

i know what you mean about the "just enough out of the way that you get an interested crowd" thing - there was something of that going on with the late lamented funnel, in that you didn't usually get people just wandering in off the street for a late pint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back