Bad Brians - Where to start (1 Viewer)

falsemonkey

Website
www.20bullseach.com
Just interested in getting some Bad Brains records. But for some reason this band has always escaped my record collection. I've heard mixed opinions on their albums. Where is a good place to start? I've been told that the first s/t record is the best, even the only one worth listening to. Any truth to this?

I have a few albums by these, if you want I can upload them for ya or if you just like buying cd's I recommend any of them as they didn't do any duff albums. Tower records in Wicklow street normally has a few etc

The Roir tape is generally considered the best. It's since been reissued on cd and vinyl. Rock for Light is almost the same songs songs but a different session. Still incredible. Black Dots is earlier demos,amzing to hear how obvious the Sex Pistols and Damned were as an influence to them.
Anything else is pretty much not essential at all.

i recently had the same dilemma. they have a greatest hits cd out which i bought for 8 quid in spindizzy(georges st arcade). I've found it a great place to start, it has stuff from a lot of their records.

Lets see... Brian Eno was pretty bad, pretty much any of his stuff you should check out. Brian Dennehy's been shite for about ten years, avoid the 80s stuff though, that's good. Brian May's solo albums have been pretty consistent (consistently shite that is), and of course anything by Brian Kennedy. Brian Wilson, Brian.html and my own good self you'll want to avoid, that's all gold.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers Gary, Janer, HMD.
I'll buy the records, not really too savy with the old downloading MP3's. Sounds like Rior might be a good place to start. I'll look for it on Vinyl.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Lets see... Brian Eno was pretty bad, pretty much any of his stuff you should check out. Brian Dennehy's been shite for about ten years, avoid the 80s stuff though, that's good. Brian May's solo albums have been pretty consistent (consistently shite that is), and of course anything by Brian Kennedy. Brian Wilson, Brian.html and my own good self you'll want to avoid, that's all gold.

Hope this has helped.

Took me about 5 minutes to work out what the fuck was going on. Very good. my tpyign ist'n the btes.
!cheezy

ReadySteadyJedi said:

Hope this has helped.
i need to get up earlier in the morning, I wanted to make that joke so much. brian for brain is my favourite misspelling ever, it cracks me up every time.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
The Roir tape is generally considered the best. It's since been reissued on cd and vinyl. Rock for Light is almost the same songs songs but a different session. Still incredible. Black Dots is earlier demos,amzing to hear how obvious the Sex Pistols and Damned were as an influence to them.
Anything else is pretty much not essential at all.
I have this one too and it's prob my fav* I like the one it'sa session, ie live in the studio.

*Although my fav BB song is not on that album Banned in DC

HR=total prick,it would seem from a lot of the stories about them anyway.
Dance of Days is a great book,although it focuses too much maybe on dischord(understandable too though).I brought the authors over to belfast when they were touring to promote it. Had them on in giros,they discussed stuff and showed some killer videos on a huge screen I got in. Almost life size footage of Void,too good.

"i against i" is my favourite bad brains album by far. Alot of people dont like it so much, cos its quite polished and alot of the songs are kind of pop metal, but I think its fuckin awesome, one of my favourite records of all time

I like some of the songs from I against I but as a whole it just doesn't match the earlier stuff. (not including the reggae songs )
There was a rumour a while back that Zack De La Rocha had been asked and turned down the chance to sing for them recently. Doesn't Madonna own the name or something now? After they had signed to Maverick?

u:m said:
"i against i" is my favourite bad brains album by far. Alot of people dont like it so much, cos its quite polished and alot of the songs are kind of pop metal, but I think its fuckin awesome, one of my favourite records of all time

I reckon "Quickness" is worth a listen aswell. That and I Vs I obviously haven't aged as well as the earlier HC stuff but are still amazing IMO.

Probably the best musos ever to grace Punk Rock too (without resorting to jazzed- out, non-tempo, emoish skidaddlin' a la Victims Family or other such latterday tripe)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back