Backup software (1 Viewer)

wageslave

*I just had to rewrite all of this after Thumped had a database error and I lost my post when trying to preview it. :eek: How ironical is that?*

Ok, after reading about Jill Hives' hard disk tragedy I decided to take another look at how I backup whats on my laptop.

I have a FreeAgent Drive and currently use the software supplied with it. A bit of googling tells me that it doesn't backup album art or any hidden files which doesn't sound great.

I used to just use the Windows backup utility. After my last laptop got nicked this turned out to be not so great however - for some reason I could only recover lots of files in one big folder i.e. all mp3s were in the same folder - no division into band, album etc. I also lost all my Firefox and Thunderbird settings, extensions and emails.

I now use MozBackup for my Mozilla programs - you can find it online for free here.

I recently used a cracked version of Driver Genius to update my drivers - so these are backed up. I don't even know if there's much point backing up drivers but anyway ... (I found this with a google search - adding +rapidshare to any software query usually works for me).

A couple of forums I looked at suggested using 3rd party software for backups. Anyone out in thumpedland care to reccommend anything?

*I just had to rewrite all of this after Thumped had a database error and I lost my post when trying to preview it. :eek: How ironical is that?*

Ok, after reading about Jill Hives' hard disk tragedy I decided to take another look at how I backup whats on my laptop.

I have a FreeAgent Drive and currently use the software supplied with it. A bit of googling tells me that it doesn't backup album art or any hidden files which doesn't sound great.

I used to just use the Windows backup utility. After my last laptop got nicked this turned out to be not so great however - for some reason I could only recover lots of files in one big folder i.e. all mp3s were in the same folder - no division into band, album etc. I also lost all my Firefox and Thunderbird settings, extensions and emails.

I now use MozBackup for my Mozilla programs - you can find it online for free here.

I recently used a cracked version of Driver Genius to update my drivers - so these are backed up. I don't even know if there's much point backing up drivers but anyway ... (I found this with a google search - adding +rapidshare to any software query usually works for me).

A couple of forums I looked at suggested using 3rd party software for backups. Anyone out in thumpedland care to reccommend anything?

norton ghost is good for backing up the entire drive

Cool, thanks for that.

Another crappy thing about the FreeAgent software is that my laptop has 100 gigs but the backup is currently at 265 gigs!

lifehacker has links to tools at this page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back