Awards for 2006 (2 Viewers)

worst performance: przeciw. generic no imagination punk with no defining feature whatsoever. (sorry dan)
WTF??? THEY WERE BRILLIANT IN BOHS!!!!!! GREAT GREAT SHOW

Maybe you didn't know their stuff? I knew 1/2 their stuff from listening to stuff I d/l from their webby or maybe you just don't like Punk and like most people lately just moving to other music tastes.

i saw them in galway after only fumes and i thought they were pretty weak in comparison. they didin't have their own sound at all they were just goin by the punk blueprint. same riffs,beats, vocals etc.. you probably like punk more than me tho :)

yay:
tunguska
captain insano
leo
me getting a
moa.jpg

nay:
our new band being severely under-active.

2007:
remedying of above.

Best Irish bands - Denim Visi-vest, Freebooters, Mongolia, Kelsey (RIP)

Best Fests - Doom 102, Leechrum and GGI

Best Gig - High on Fire in Whelans

Best buzz - scabbin off Mongolia's buzz during their Irish Tour

Best myspace - Padre Pio

Best album - Kidd Blunt, followed closely by Estel's 'Bones of Something'

Best New bands - Tunguska, We Are Knives

Song of the Year - Sunday Morning by the Freebooters

Most missed of the year - Red Ink/Murder City (DIY-walk-in counselling centre), my good friend O-Dog and the old Puget Sound buzz

Hopes for 2007 - playing lots of gigs, seeing more new bands, more Dublin bands playing outside Dublin and vice-versa.

Dickhead live touring band- Haram, sort it out lads when people are being nice to you

I'm not sure what exactly happened in Belfast but it was the same in Limerick. It was the "hanger on"/merch guy who acted like a complete prick and put one of us in a position he was too nice to back out of. Stung us for quite a bit of money.

Best irish band: Only Fumes And Corpses, Sea Dog, United Bible Studies

Best new band: Sea Dog

Best Irish release: Kidd Blunt, 22.. cant remeber much else..

Best Gig: Lightning Bolt in Galway

Worst gig: Larkin Grimm in the boatclub in Limerick

Controversial, no offence but i just dont get it meself award:

Best post on eirecore / thumped: The gig/scene discussion that went on a few months ago.

worst post on eirecore/ thumped: Any of the rambling shit..

"Picasso" award for worst photoshop attempt on Thumped: Super Dexta for that "Master Of Arts" attempt.. :)

Pleasant surprises of the year: AOFR, discovering GORILLAMUNCH is in an excellent band..

"saviour of the scene" award: Damo (without him, we'd have pretty much no gigs..)

"Nice One lads" award for consistently putting on excellent gigs: Damo, Daniel, U:Mack and Skinny Wolves

"Fuck That" award for trends that need to die: moshspace bands. local bands that exist solely to try and get signed.

Most Missed: Red Ink (only went there about 4 or 5 tmes but I loved it)

Wishes for 2007: the label taking off, more and bigger gigs, learning an instrument (properly), starting a band/act, releasing something myself.

I'm not sure what exactly happened in Belfast but it was the same in Limerick. It was the "hanger on"/merch guy who acted like a complete prick and put one of us in a position he was too nice to back out of. Stung us for quite a bit of money.

Yeh that was the same guy I really hated. Went to a party with them after and he was being totalyl weird and stuff. I then had to walk them back to the house they were staying in that I was also staying in and him and one of the actual Haram guys kept sorta whispering to eachother, looking at me then laughing. Was totally shit seeing as I decided to leave the party only cause they wanted to go and I was being nice walking them back.

My highlight for this year has to be actually talking/getting to know people and really liking them after nearly five years of floating around the scene.

Best non punk gig: Melvins
Best punk gig: leechrum especially Freebooters
Best new band: Terrordactyl/Mongolia
Best party: Seomra spraoi Christmas party/ Dee's birthday in Leitrim, the next day on the train w/ barry and Ferg, Karen and Houli's gaff and the fact I managed to get to work the next day without a hangover.
Best thing : Sociable cooking/photo forum
Worst thing on thumped/eirecore: bigoted bolloxes
Best Album: Kidd Blunt

Thanks to anyone who put on a gig this year and the people involved in this:

216772562_e4e0b76941.jpg

216772504_d3402723d4.jpg

Best live band of the year: Pisschrist or Bomberegn on numerous occasions.

Best record: Annihilation Time II

Best thing about Ireland: Lots of foreign people, immigrants, Dublin far more tolerant and diverse, lots of new bands playing all sorts of different music.

Worth thing about Ireland: refamiliarising myself with the same old shit with venues, expensive alcohol, lack of punk bands playing punk and punks looking punk. And shitty hash.

Maddest place: Barcelona.

Unexpected buzz award: feeling inspired by people in Copenhagen fighting to keep Ungdomhuset alive & swathes of cynicism being swept aside in days.

Worst buzz award: people being way too fucked on drugs and fucking smackheads.

They actually got it together award: Eoin & Donal (and others') practise space finally being operational.

best irish punk band - Runnin Riot

best irish non punk band - Seadog

best new band - the Excuses

worst live set - Complan in Bohs

best live set - Restarts in Bremmen/Coldwar in London/threads leechrum

best Irish release - not punk but anyway Tony connolls debut

whatever happened to? award - Punk

best haircut - Mines fairly timeless so ill go for that

best buzz - Leechrum fuckin deadly buzz/The freebooters tour/singing ole ole ole at every opertunity

controversial, no offence but i just dont get it meself award -

biggest loss - Mates who were taken to soon

top workers - jasper/Conor albeit mostly freebooters related

quote of the year - "THE DOLE" some punter in limerick pointed to ownsie on the street and said this

wishes for 2007 - the freebooters to get their arses in gear and record an album, The poke to stop talking about and finally record our songs we never got round to, more garage rock ala Lungs, Seadog to play Croke Park, Roscommons minor success to inspire the senior to at least a connought championship this year.Athlone Town to win promotion to the premier League.Munster to retain the Heiniken cup, the england v ireland rugby game to be moved from Croke Park. the limerick hurlers to bring their league form to the championship.To get me shit together with me new band in athlone and play some antiseen-tastic punk n roll

Best irish punk band - kidd blunt (haw haw), kelsey, tunguska

Best irish non punk band - we are knives, kelsey? tunguska?

Worst live set - some band whose name i can't remember at leechrum..

Best live set - slomatics in voodoo, scientific bong in kennedy's, coldspoon/kidd blunt in meself n dylan's gaff haha

Whatever happened to ? award - basta, gorilla nurse ahaha

Best haircuts: slomatics

Best myspace - jill's granny

Best post on eirecore / thumped: was the on/off thread this year..?

worst post on eirecore/ thumped: any of janer's dodgy-as-fuck anti-jane posts

Top workers - jasper (punk tent at leechrum etc.), damo (doing loads for kidd blunt while playing in tonnes of bands and doing gz and porco dio gigs)

Wishes for 2007 - more new bands, new releases from current bands, GGI to be as good as the last one looked

Yes, worst gig of the year CHAMPIONS!
sniff sniff, I'd just like to dedicate this award to Eoin, um, for getting totally fucked up before the gig, um, and to my family, sniff sniff, and everyone that's always been there for me, oh and my manager Stanto, and finally to all you people out there that want to form a band but don't know how, JUST DO IT!

I reckon the Donal's performance at the Pack gig in Kilcoole should get an honoury mention for the worst performance of the year, even though I enjoyed once he got the riffs right.

Edit: Actually that should be in the comedy performance of the year category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back