Apples (2 Viewers)

dowel

There are many apples in mmy parents garden, bramley...but also two desert apples. one is called beauty's bath(?), and is amazing, even beats the gorgeous apples you can get at food markets.

Baked them, with cinnamon/sugar/pecans and sultanas in the core.
Stewed them with some maple syrup instead, BUT, make some caramel, with butter+sugar and cook them in that, tis the best...yum! On was on my way to making Tarte Tatin, but gave up, caramel apples do the job!

Beauty of Bath are my favourite apples in the whole world - but I love just eating them picked freshly off the tree. They don't keep well so you either have to eat them or process them. My parents juice them and freeze the juice... best apple juice ever.

But, if you're looking for other things to do with the apples, Bramleys make amazing apple chutney.
If you have a freezer you can freeze batches of stewed apple which is great for making quick apple pies, crumbles etc later in the year.

Chutney, savage!
Beauty of Bath, it's hard to describe how gorgeous these apples are, it's true, will make some juice today!
Gonna go up the step ladder with my rake + bucket, cause it's a windy one, don't want any more smash-down atrocities on the path.
Ta Squiggle :)

how would you go about this?

Chutney is very easy to make, but I can't remember the recipe I normally use off the top of my head, I'll post it up here this evening if I remember. Got some lovely Bramleys from my folks yesterday so I might make some myself.

My sister's back garden has an apple tree, think I'll go a-picking. Dunno what brand o' apple they are. maybe I'll take a pikchure and ask one of you more appleknowledgable folks.

i just went out there to pick a few apples and take pics for identification but there isnt a single apple on the tree. heres a picture of the apple cake i made the other day instead. i took a picture of it. it was nice, but a bit on the soggy side

1434388634_f6e69e99bf_b.jpg

Apple Chutney

Ingredients
1 Lb Onions grated or finely chopped
1/2 pint Vinegar
2 Lb peeled, cored and chopped apples
2-4 oz dried fruit (optional)
teaspoon pickling spice (tied in a muslin bag)
teaspoon salt (or less)
teaspoon ground ginger
12 oz sugar

Put onions in a saucepan with 1/8 pint of the vinegar and simmer until almost soft. Add the apples, dried fruit, pickling spice, salt, ground ginger and enough vinegar to prevent burning and simmer until the fruit is soft. Add the remainder of the vinegar and the sugar and stir well. Boil rapidly until thick, remove spice sachet and pour into hot jars.

this sounds nice and easy but what kind of spice is pickling spice? and how much is a muslin bag and where would i get one?

Pickling spice is a mixture of whole spices... you should be able to get it in a good market type store, I'm guessing fallon and byrne will have some. I'm going looking for some myself today so I'll let you know.

As to the muslin bag... well, that's what the recipe says, but a square of any kind of clean, fine, white (very important) cloth would be fine - just put the spices in it and knot it securely. Don't use any kind of coloured string to tie it closed though :D

Pickling spice is a mixture of whole spices... you should be able to get it in a good market type store, I'm guessing fallon and byrne will have some. I'm going looking for some myself today so I'll let you know.

As to the muslin bag... well, that's what the recipe says, but a square of any kind of clean, fine, white (very important) cloth would be fine - just put the spices in it and knot it securely. Don't use any kind of coloured string to tie it closed though :D

why not?

It might turn the chutney strange colours.

There are pickling spice recipes on the web so if the worst comes to the worst and I can't find some pre mixed then I guess I can make up the mixture myself.

Anyway, that chutney is amazing. You need to make sure that the jars are warm when you put the chutney in (putting them in the oven on a fairly low setting for an hour or so is the easiest way - at home it was bottom oven of the Aga). It keeps very well as long as the jars are airtight and once opened keeps equally well in the fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back