Apple crash help please (1 Viewer)

Rogue

Website
Visit site
Chaps and chapesses, a good friend of mine had a major bout of arse happen to him this morning, I'll post his email below. If any of the good people of thumped can take the time to read this offer any advice I'd be very grateful.
Thanks, scott

Had a little problem with my mac, It erased pretty much my home folder when it crashed last night. It crashed during a software update (osx) and after reboot the majority of my home folder was corrupted. I have been backing up daily to an external hard drive, using .Mac Backup (apple's backup software they provide with a .mac account) It appears however that the backups it periodically makes have been created with corruption too. As such when you go to restore the files you get an error message saying the the backup files selected are corrupt or damaged. This leaves me with only the data which is on my USB pen, and any contacts saved to my idisk. Sounds silly but along side a lot of work, (though thankfully my res-r and any current research is on the USB pen, due to its portability), was 59GB of music which is 714 albums, the majority of which were paid for in iTunes store. I have used iPodRip to try and restore the music off my iPod, though it appears that the long term error -48 cannot sync problem with iTunes 7 and the iPod Video 60gb has made the majority of the files unreadable. This has made for a most devastating morning, as unfortunately my music is pretty much my life.

would you perhaps know of any possible solutions or suggestions to my dilemma? I have contacted apple and they simply said that backup cannot fail and asked me the usual dumbass questions, there only suggestion was to ensure any new information from now is to be backed up, and to erase HD and Ipod and start again, though they understand I would loose all 40 albums I have recovered off the iPod and also that the sync error in iTunes 7 is still not resolved but it is an issue they are looking into. I simply queried how long itunes 7 has been out and why they pulled a Microsoft error and released it with known issues..... they didn't take kindly to this.....

Please if you can think of anything please help, though again I am left wondering if apple is just the same beast as Microsoft but with a different head...

try ripping the contents of the ipod onto another machine.

What he said...
If the back ups onto your iDisc are corrupt, then your fucked.

Do a good erase and install of the OS and use that iPoddisc to mount/drag/drop your mp3's to your new clean hard drive. Open them in iTunes, erase the mess, then resync your iPod

Next time back up your home folder to an external drive. I would'nt trust an online back up

PS This is all theory only. If my advice is to be taken and not work, I don't claim responcibility

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back