Anti-Flag signs to RCA Records (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 1
bombidol said:
yeah was told about this by an AF insider a few days ago. Also Sick of it All are leaving Fat Wreck
Where they headed? They've been around the block a bit as regards labels, i don't think fat wreck was such a great choice for them, not a great label promotion wise, especially for a hardcore band.

They havent released the info yet about who they are going with. I doubt its a major but i could be wrong. could be Thorp or someone like that but i dunno

bombidol said:
yeah was told about this by an AF insider a few days ago. Also Sick of it All are leaving Fat Wreck
and you didn't post it up here? you prick, could have been bitching about this days ago! i do like bands "excuses" for signing to major labels though, my favorite was mr. fredriksen from rancids "I've got tatoo's on my head i couldn't even get a job in mc donalds" or something along those lines.

dunno, hasnt been released yet. have no idea. I cant see a move to a major myself but i could be wrong. I've been in contact with their Euro Tour management before about getting them over but they never get back to me. Id take out a loan to put on the show though. If anyone is thinking of getting em over let me know and ill go in on it with you though.

Yeah im unsure what to make of this myself. on one hand its the polar opposite of what they have stood for. but on a more realistic down to earth view of things . if a record company started waving money at you that could possibly set you up for life i dunno who would say no. Perhaps they are looking at it as a way of getting their message out to more people, bear in mind Rage Against The Machine were on a Major for their entire catalogue. It never done them any harm, in fact it spread their message world wide. AF are a great band and i just hope this doesnt go tits up for em

bombidol said:
Yeah im unsure what to make of this myself. on one hand its the polar opposite of what they have stood for. but on a more realistic down to earth view of things . if a record company started waving money at you that could possibly set you up for life i dunno who would say no. Perhaps they are looking at it as a way of getting their message out to more people, bear in mind Rage Against The Machine were on a Major for their entire catalogue. It never done them any harm, in fact it spread their message world wide. AF are a great band and i just hope this doesnt go tits up for em

I'd say no. And I never bought that 'spreading our message' crap, how can you say one thing and do something which contradicts that and still hope to maintian any semblance of credibility?

This is true. I mean, even their choice of major is questionable, since RCA is owned by General Electric, who have majory military ties. I'm guessing they just went where there was most money. That or they were "stoked" on GE owning NBC/MSNBC and thus giving them much larger media ball swinging space.

I honestly dont buy anyone saying No to a couple million dollars lads, coupled with worldwide media exposure and solid album deals. Being offered the kinda shit you've dreamt about since you were a kid?? the only downside being that you have to sign to a major and invalidate someones "punk Ethics" and maybe piss off a percentage of old fans? fuck that, id rather swim in money like scrooge Mcduck

Ah come on now, the chance they'll get a couple million dollars? Only reason they're being signed is because Green Day's new political look's after taking off, Anti-Flag wear the same clothes and have a nice line in easy to follow bullshit, so they get signed, but the most they can hope for is a few tour supports and maybe a middling headline tour, coupled with some prime advertising support. What have they lost? All their current fans, most likely a lot of friends, the support from the scene they came from...

We'll see now what'll happen with the first album, when they realise what creative freedom really means, with some prick saying "we need an 'american idiot' and a 'boulevard of broken dreams' guys" and then the realisation sinking in that the 500k they got from the label was not 500k, but a loan of 500k that they must pay back.

True theres probably not gonna be millions of dollars but there will be a lot of money involved and im pretty sure AF know the score when it comes to labels, the deal must have been good and suited them for em to sign. It'll be interesting to see what happens to AF records too, will that be dying off or continued on. In fairness none of us are in the band and we dunno what the beef is with any of this, and as Gav said Its between the label and the band.
As for touring, its gotta be better than some of the venues they play in the states. they might play big gigs in Europe cause they dont get over here that much but in the states, The venues they play are fucking tiny a lot of the time. I would consider AF a pretty big current punk band, they at least deserve a run at the title. Even if it fails they will still stick around and be back on an indy at some stage.
And in fairness would you rather see fucking westlife or anti-flag being promoted well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back