Anarchy on Main Forum (1 Viewer)

some people are able to make jokes and get away with it, mc.

just like the way you managed to be totally fukkered when everyone else is completely sober and living in judgetown when all comers are boozed up to fook.
you coming out for the fest? i'll 'ave you, i will!

damien said:
just like the way you managed to be totally fukkered when everyone else is completely sober and living in judgetown when all comers are boozed up to fook.
you coming out for the fest? i'll 'ave you, i will!

are you talking to me?
:confused:
i like the banana punk element to the gig. do i not get credit for inventing the sport?:p
u n me gotta get our groove on..i can remember the jam in glenard that we had. next time yer in the coolie....and i know you'll come back down b4 ya go!
you fuckin better its gobbo's 21st this week:D

now take a look at me...im all icons!

yeah i was talkin to you, playa!
when is his bday? i might be out some day next week but as you can imagine the aul schedule is fairly hectic..

damien said:
yeah i was talkin to you, playa!
when is his bday? i might be out some day next week but as you can imagine the aul schedule is fairly hectic..
this weekend i think there will be a session!!
will you guys be playing rome in june or france in aug at all?

here mac warzone! i have a question for you.....do you know that glue that holds the wire to the speaker cone? is that a special type of conductor/insulation glue or can i use the like of super glue??? i need to fix a friends amp and soldering two wires together wont do because its a bass amp and the vibrations are making it so that the solder only lasts a month tops. what do ya reckon? i kinda had the feelin you'd know?
cheers
dar

mc moley said:
here mac warzone! i have a question for you.....do you know that glue that holds the wire to the speaker cone? is that a special type of conductor/insulation glue or can i use the like of super glue??? i need to fix a friends amp and soldering two wires together wont do because its a bass amp and the vibrations are making it so that the solder only lasts a month tops. what do ya reckon? i kinda had the feelin you'd know?
cheers
dar

I had that same problem with one of the bass bins in Giro's - the braid burnt out and resoldering it would only last a couple of gigs before it got shaken apart again. Of course, each time I soldered it the wire got shorter and shorter and it became more and more of a hassle and lasted less and less time. I did try putting in a substitute wire, but because the braid had got so short that it had disappeared through the cardboard into the back of the cone this involved a lot of careful probing with a circuit tester to try and find the erstwhile end... anyhow... no, there shouldn't be anything special about the glue, all it does is hold the wire in place. If I remember correctly I did try using superglue myself to hold it in place, but it seemed to create quite a brittle join and had a tendency to come loose. Possibly something a bit more plastic would work better - if all else fails a couple of thin strips of gaffer tape should do the job, at least until they tear off the surface they're attached to.

If you have got enough length of braid to play with then possibly tying some kind of knot in it before soldering might help. I seem to remember that I ended up with about a half inch of unsoldered flexible braid coming out of the back of the cone, then about two inches of rigid solder covered wire stripped from a guitar cable, and then about a half inch of unsoldered flexible braid connecting to the terminal as one of the longest lasting repairs.

The real problem here is that you don't have access to where the braid conencts to the coil unless you are prepared to attack the speaker cone with a craft knife, and so you want to make the best job of this while you can, and not run into my problem of an ever-shortening wire. Having said that, my bits of surgery on the cardboard of the cone which were then repaired with superglue didn't really seem to have any audible effect on the sound.

One of the other options is to skip trying to link the braid to the terminal connector and instead just solder it direct to the wire coming from the amp.

Maybe that will be of some use to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back