An Post-Annoying? (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

So,

Money's a bit tight so I went into the post office to reactivate my An Post account. It hadn't been used since 2002.

I expected the staff at An Post Rathmines to be rude, dismissive and unhelpful. They didn't disappoint.

But the thing is, apparently my €434 has only earned €2 and 19 cents since July 2002.

I asked the guy "Is this right? It's only earned two euro interest in four years?"
"Yeah, €2 and 19cents to be exact"
"hmmmm, I'd like to know why you chose to phrase your answer in that particular way"

Anyway, my question is. Does this sound right? I spose, interest rates haven't been up to much these last few years. And there could be something about dormant accounts etc, so maybe it is right.
But if not, what should I do? As you might be able to guess, I don't have much faith in going into the post office again to sort it out.

TseancS

So,

Money's a bit tight so I went into the post office to reactivate my An Post account. It hadn't been used since 2002.

I expected the staff at An Post Rathmines to be rude, dismissive and unhelpful. They didn't disappoint.

But the thing is, apparently my €434 has only earned €2 and 19 cents since July 2002.

I asked the guy "Is this right? It's only earned two euro interest in four years?"
"Yeah, €2 and 19cents to be exact"
"hmmmm, I'd like to know why you chose to phrase your answer in that particular way"

Anyway, my question is. Does this sound right? I spose, interest rates haven't been up to much these last few years. And there could be something about dormant accounts etc, so maybe it is right.
But if not, what should I do? As you might be able to guess, I don't have much faith in going into the post office again to sort it out.

TseancS

trying to open a PO box is equally fun. sure, you can have one, but you have to apply in writing with payment and then get to be rewarded with access to your local, designated delivery office (and not the GPO, how ridiculously presumptuous of you to even ask...) during their useless opening hours. any questions, and you gotta phone the voicemail ("em...em...em") of a man who will never, ever call you back.

also, the one about nobody sending letters anymore, and how that's unrelated to even most central post offices being shut at lunchtime.

i'm off to invest in some pigeons.

I wanted to open an account last year or so with about 2 grand and asked whats the best account for interest as I wouldn't be touching it and I was more or less told that you don't really get any interest these days.
This was in Irish Permanent btw.

I wanted to open an account last year or so with about 2 grand and asked whats the best account for interest as I wouldn't be touching it and I was more or less told that you don't really get any interest these days.
This was in Irish Permanent btw.

Aye, but I thought An Post are a bit better with the interest. Also, it's been 4 years. 4 years where "interest accrues daily and is automatically credited to your account on the 31st December each year", according to the book.

hmmmm,that interst rate does seem extremely shabby now that i think about it,i remember when i last used my account had something like ten pounds in it but got 30 pence interest.....you were ripped off it seems,just go down tomorrow and `liberate` whatever seems like a fair amount.

Demand interest rates are getting better since the ECB went up but for most of that period 2002 - 2006 they were shit as the lending rate was so low.

You probably got 0.1% or worse. Subject to 20% DIRT too.

Ahh nlgbbbblth, I was waiting for you.

Was it really as low as that?
I went looking for some sort of index page of interest rates, couldn't find one. They talk about one on the An Post site FAQ, but they don't actually show you one.

Might throw them an email, just for the confirmation

When I was younger and had no money it was 8% interest or thereabouts, must have been the 70's or 80's lol

And if you were fortunate enough to have bought your own house you were paying twice that on your mortgage...16%...:eek:

People queued for mortgages...not for houses, mortgages...

Fantastic. Did Franz Kafka write these rules?

we can't answer your question here, but i can give you a number instead...

and, actually, i heard a report tonight from someone who did get a call back, and the man was extremely lovely. sorry for badmouthing you on the internets, tony. em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back