Amsterdam (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter cpr
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 1
I'm heading over next weekend, staying on a street called Fokke Simonzstraat, just off Vijzelstraat. Seems to be a few museums in the area, but should we mainly focus on the Old Centre?

i'm heading on friday as well. lived there for a good while... what do you need to know?

Tips for a cheap weekend, food and drink wise? My girlfriend isn't a big drinker, and neither of us are too bothered with the smoking opportunities so we're looking for alternative ideas. I've been reading up on the strip ticket system too, will we be needing public transport much? I like the idea of strolling around but maybe not so much at night. I also have a terrible sense of direction, and there are something like a thousand bridges or so...

Tips for a cheap weekend, food and drink wise? My girlfriend isn't a big drinker, and neither of us are too bothered with the smoking opportunities so we're looking for alternative ideas. I've been reading up on the strip ticket system too, will we be needing public transport much? I like the idea of strolling around but maybe not so much at night. I also have a terrible sense of direction, and there are something like a thousand bridges or so...

i would definitely recommend hiring bikes as soon as you arrive. best way to see the city, and you dont have to worry about getting the right trams etc. for public transport you need to get a strippenkaart, about 7 quid, will do about 7 journeys (2 people can use the same ticket). Definitely cheaper than paying per journey. strolling around at night isnt really a problem,

there used to be a great free weekly english paper with loads of listings but its on hiatus for a couple of months unfortunately. for gigs n shit try paradiso, melkweg, bimhuis, occii, bitterzoet... try concerto for records, also backbeat.

for food- this website is pretty great: http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/ there's some great cheap chinese places around the redlight district (Nam Kee on Zeedijk is pretty decent, if you can bear the fluorescent lights), and you can find some really good indonesian around.
check out small world deli/cafe off haarlemmerstraat as well if you're in that area (worth heading there anyways, close to the jordaan which is worth a wander around).

i would also check Brouwerij t'Ij- a brewery in a windmill and probably my favourite place in the city. the Zatte beer is amazing, and rocket fuel. Only opens between 3.30 and 7.30 though...

Near the train station about two streets away (ask directions) beside the sex musuem there's a great tourist info place. It has discount tickets to any attractions and saves you queuing when you get there.

The canal tour at night is good, its about 10euro per person. There's some good comedy clubs there in the square which I can't remember the name of. I'm not great with names but I remember the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back