amp on a muthafuckin' plane.. (1 Viewer)

If it's a valve head,it's gonna be heavy and cause problems. At least extra costs as it'll be way above the limit weight wise. Last time I brought an amp on a plane was quite some time ago and it was a nightmare.
Next time I need to bring an anp overseas I'll be going by sea.

thanks a million gary... I forgot the mention the amp. it's one of these bastards:

roland-jazz-chorus120.jpg

no valves, but it's a heavy fucker. it's a request from a friend. I have a feeling that it would be quite the ordeal. I think to send it by courier might be a far, far better idea...

oh dear...

I imagine it would be easier to rent one. Depending on how many gigs. It's a reasonably popular amp is it not? As for bringing it on a plane? Maybe,if you could book a seat for it.

I imagine it would be easier to rent one. Depending on how many gigs. It's a reasonably popular amp is it not? As for bringing it on a plane? Maybe,if you could book a seat for it.

I second that. Surely renting an amp is a very easy solution to your pal's problem? I've rented amps in Ireland and it's worked out really cheap as in £40 for a weekend.

it's a good suggestion, but here's the problem: it's not for my own use, it belongs to a friend who emigrated some years back. as a result I ended up being the guy who has been minding it since. but I'm going visiting him in just over a week; the friend has just started playing live again and wants the amp brought over to him basically. bit of a tall order!

it would probably be a million times less hassle to just sell it and give him the money to buy a new amp. amps are probably cheap enough in spain...

argh.

it's a good suggestion, but here's the problem: it's not for my own use, it belongs to a friend who emigrated some years back. as a result I ended up being the guy who has been minding it since. but I'm going visiting him in just over a week; the friend has just started playing live again and wants the amp brought over to him basically. bit of a tall order!

it would probably be a million times less hassle to just sell it and give him the money to buy a new amp. amps are probably cheap enough in spain...

argh.

Ah Jaysis, that would be enough to make me want to cancel my visit! Your idea about selling it for him is a very practical one.

ha! yeah, I'm beginning to hate them myself. anyway he'll be footing the bill alright. I'm just particularly keen to find an easier way to bring it over as the thought of physically bringing an amp and being responsible for it through the madrid metro system in the middle of the day is giving me a slight case of the horror.

how do thomann etc. ship stuff? registered post innit?

how much are those amps worth anyway? ballpark?

cool. I'll give them a call. a flight case... hmm. I emailed my friend and threw the sell-the-amp idea his way. the seeds have been sown!

thanks you guyz!

i know thomann use dhl, but surely if you pack it very well, maybe get some peanut stirofoam and stuff it well in a (wooden) box, it should arrive perfectly with a courier plus you could get insurance.

if you do bring it with couldn't your buddy collect you from the airport?

amp is worth $550 new

hope it works out.

good call richard. thanks. think it might be someone else's problem now though; was talking to him today and we both kind of agreed that it would be a pain in the ass... not sure what's happening now. think I'll be passing it onto a member of his family!

I was gonna ship my Jazz Chorus back from OZ but it was way too much hassle. It's over postal companies weight and size and it's in large parkage territory for shipping companies i.e. expensive.

i saw a dude book a seat for his guitar once. and ryanair had oversold the flight and put some guy in the seat.
yer man with the guitar flipped out. maybe his guitar didnt have a passport?

don't you have to book a seat for your guitar now with ryanair??

yeah, i heard something along those lines..but that still limits you to a certain amount of weight
aerlingus are way cooler with transporting music gear

plug, you'd be mad to fly over with the amp if you're going with ryanair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back