american literature (1 Viewer)

David Kronenbourg

Solutions
any recommendations? am looking for stuff that's off the beaten track. i love writers like denis johnson, david foster wallace, george saunders, william t. vollman etc. help us out here folks. want to get a lot of reading done this summer cos i'm too broke to have a social life

I recommend 'The Corrections' by Johnathan Franzen.

Also, it's a fairly obvious choice, but have you read any Raymond Carver? If not, pick up anything by him, it's all amazing.

read the corrections. amazing. not read much carver. a couple of short stories here and there, that's about it. must check him out. what about cheever? i have the wapshot chronicles at home. any good?

The collections by Carver called 'Cathedral', and 'Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?' are the two I would recommend. Not quuuuite like the other stuff you've mentioned, but 'Another Country', about a bunch of hepcats in New York in the 50's, by James Baldwin, is brilliant.

What about Richard Yates and Richard Ford? Both excellent. In the case of the latter, start with The Sportswriter or any of his short fiction. Richard Powers' Time of our singing is a right ol' tome but also worth it. Can't go wrong with the richards I say!

Also Carver is ridiculously good. Preston Falls by David Gates is a bit of an ignored gem.

I love Richard Yates, should have young hearts crying and Revolutionary road (don't let the film put you off) somewhere if you want them?

Preston Falls by David Gates is a bit of an ignored gem.

fantastic book!
I haven't read his short stories - have you?
wonders.jpg

have you read? -
jernigan.jpg

its like a more intense (and blackly funny!) version of Preston falls but set in the city instead of the country.

more stuff in this vein i dig....
971_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

n247538.jpg

1862076731.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

fantastic book!
I haven't read his short stories - have you?
wonders.jpg

have you read? -
jernigan.jpg

its like a more intense (and blackly funny!) version of Preston falls but set in the city instead of the country.

more stuff in this vein i dig....
971_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

n247538.jpg

1862076731.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

read mailman. very good. i was reading about david gates last night on t'internet. he wrote the introduction to my edition of 60 stories by donald barthelme so i was curious about his own stuff. worth checking out you say? isn't willy valutin from that shitty alt country band richmond fontaine? they suck. his writing any better?

Thanks for that Charlie - have only read Preston Falls, but I *love* short fiction so will deffo have to order that one (and knowing me, I'll probably get the rest as well!) Thanks a mill for the heads up.

read mailman. very good. i was reading about david gates last night on t'internet. he wrote the introduction to my edition of 60 stories by donald barthelme so i was curious about his own stuff. worth checking out you say? isn't willy valutin from that shitty alt country band richmond fontaine? they suck. his writing any better?

If you liked Mailman then check out this
1573220663.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and this
1862073163.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And totally check out all and any David Gates!

Willy Vlautin - yes he's from Richmond Fontaine (I've never heard them tho) and if you like Raymond Carver then totally check him out for small lives in big town(e)s...

Thanks for that Charlie - have only read Preston Falls, but I *love* short fiction so will deffo have to order that one (and knowing me, I'll probably get the rest as well!) Thanks a mill for the heads up.

Yr welcome!
Must check out his short stories myself...
Ya must be a Carver fan then if ya like short fiction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back