Amazing Books (1 Viewer)

carson mc cullers: 'the heart is a lonely hunter'

this is great. i actually read it in our school library - i was half way through it and one of the nuns moved it to the "sixth years only" shelf. i had to persuade the librarian that if i was going to be corrupted by it, it had probably already happened, and could i finish it, please?

But for heavy widescreen drama and violence, there's noone can beat Cormac McCarthy. The prose is so thick it takes about an hour to get through a paragraph. You got to like cowboy stories though. Blood Meridian is really good.

yesyesyes. also "suttree". features the most impressive description of a hangover ever, culminating in the narrator realizing that he has a)been asleep in an abandoned car and b)that someone has pissed on his head. and the immortal bit where his useless mate gets off on charges of bestiality because "a watermelon ain't no beast".

ian mcewan also rocks. i read "atonement" on holidays this summer, and it is marvellous.

oh, and for funnies, try david sedaris. his description of working as santa's elf in a department store is painfully, evilly hilarious.

Originally posted by snakybus
I hear you hapi, I was always a sensitive one, as I still am.

As for Dali, people think he was just arses and bread, but he was really so much more. He was also eggs and long-legged elephants.
a sensitive guy who bandies terms like "scribbler" about? you got that goin' too :)

nah, dali's writing, it's amazing. it's not like a book of pictures, it's his autobiography. he has a whole section dedicated to 'false memories' ... just stuff he made up :)
and i found out yesterday he also wrote a novel which i also got yesterday. and frankly, i'm really quite excited about it. shut up! :p

sounds inchsting

I might get that....and scribble all over it:eek:

oh and Minka, I haven't read that suttree, I'll have to

Yesterday I heard a great description of a hangover as a "beer monkey"

A beer monkey is a mythical simian creature that sneaks into your bed after you've been on a bender, messes up your hair, hits you on the head with a lump hammer, and shites in your mouth

(In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the Buffalo Theory to his buddy, Norm. I don't think I've ever heard the concept explained any better than this....)

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this...A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain-cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

A few books I'd recommend (ya see I'm always at least a day behind with these things :rolleyes: ) are Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, 'The Handmaid's Tail' by Margaret Attwood, 'The Wasp Factory' - Iain Banks, 'Boating for Beginners' by Jeanette Winterson (it's hard enough to find but very funny) and also Dracula. I'm not taking the piss there, it's a great book and it *is* very creepy.

For all the anti-war campaigners on Saturday Noam Chomsky's 'Manufacturing Consent' is full of examples of how the American government/media are evil, censorship-lovin, jurassic pond scum!

On the subject of fine literature, Jerry Lawler's "It's Good To Be The King... Sometimes" & Bobby Heenan's "Bobby The Brain - Wrestlings Bad Boy Tells All" have just arrived, this very day.

I'll report back soon.

And what, pray tell, has this got to do with ears?
Hapi's just trying to make a fair and sensible point (as is his way) and people just come along with their non-sesnsical babble, undermining everything that he's just put his heart and soul into saying.

:p

Originally posted by Rimbaud
Milan Kundera - Unbearable Ligtness of being

I can't read Kundera as it makes me want to kill myself.

My favorite writer is Martin Millar. (Music nerd type people might appreciate 'Suzy, Led Zepplin and Me').

The best non-fiction I've read in ages is 'Adventures of a No Name Actor' by Marco Perella. It's basically just stories and vignettes from his long career as a bit part and character actor, but it's very very funny.

If you like Douglas Coupland, you might like Chuck Palahunik(sp?). I thought 'Survivor' was quite good.

Originally posted by Rimbaud
Jack Kerouac - On the Road

i think this is possibly the most overrated book ever

it's extremely boring. not much happens. which some may say is the point of the book. which is fine. but i would rather watch 24 consecutive hours of the tv3 weatherman than reading that book.

I read three quarters of it, thought it was shit, then went back years later and read it again and loved it. For some reason the trip to Mexico (which I missed out on first time) makes the whole book make sense

Most boring book I ever attempted to read was something by Graham Greene, can't exactly remember the title, twas set in Africa I think, main protagonist is an honest uncorruptable policeman in a very corrupt environment. During a very boring train journey I discovered that sitting there NOT reading the book was less boring than reading it.

Edit: 'The heart of the matter' I think it was

Originally posted by P. Littbarski
i think this is possibly the most overrated book ever

it's extremely boring. not much happens. which some may say is the point of the book. which is fine. but i would rather watch 24 consecutive hours of the tv3 weatherman than reading that book.

I never thought much of it either but good god man, 24 hours of Martin King??

Originally posted by aoifed
And what, pray tell, has this got to do with ears?
Hapi's just trying to make a fair and sensible point (as is his way) and people just come along with their non-sesnsical babble, undermining everything that he's just put his heart and soul into saying.

:p
the sound of a million angry yawns... :mad: ah no, there's no better way than "my favourite book day" to find out who the real pricks around here are...

Originally posted by egg_

Edit: 'The heart of the matter' I think it was

that's be the one. i think alot of his books can be a bit pedestrian like that but i think fans of his like the whole world he conjures up.
sorta like people that swear by hitchcock !bog

can

worms

GO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back