Amazing Books (1 Viewer)

i forgot to mention the resurrection bit. this is also a greek idea, i think it was dyonisus (yes, yes i know spelling mistake) or some human/god who was resurrected after death. having said that, you make a good point. that's essentially what paul and john did anyway, tag on the resurrection story and the divinity of Jesus. god damned heretics. (john, especially)

The Bible may very well be a historical record but, as was the style at the time, it was greatly embellished. There are facts in there but yeah, there's lots of hollywood blockbuster material in there, too.

Rather, the Bible should be seen as a system of signs, a code, through which its inscribed (and re-inscribed) meaning and truth can be revealed through examining the traces of its matrix through a hermeneutic reading. Facts, fiction, they're all equally relevant.

Anyway, Cecil B. de Mille never made a movie about the life of Marx, no matter how cool his beard was.

Are you a German protestant by any chance?

Originally posted by potlatch

Rather, the Bible should be seen as a system of signs, a code, through which its inscribed (and re-inscribed) meaning and truth can be revealed through examining the traces of its matrix through a hermeneutic reading. Facts, fiction, they're all equally relevant.

Originally posted by potlatch
I never learned to read.

Ah no... "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind is a rollocking rollercoaster ride of thrills ans spills. Absolutely un-notreadable. And Kubrick was planning on making a moving picture about it.

i heard last year that ridley scott was planning to make it into a movie, although havent heard anything bout it in ages

most of the good stuff has already mentioned but i like..

'the subterranians' kerouac
short stories by m. r. james and lovecraft
nick cave's bio 'bad seed' by ian johnston
'i am legend' by richard matheson

"You're not a punk, my friend."

Said it once but I'll say it again...

- "Austerlitz", W.G. Sebald
- "Rings of Saturn", the same bloke
- "40 Stories", Donald Barthelme
- "Bartleby", Herman Melville (actually a long-ish story, but available on its own, I think)
- "Murphy", Sammy Hagar... I mean, Beckett.

Re: Re: "You're not a punk, my friend."

Certainly is. Wait til you try "Austerlitz"...

Did you know Sebald died in a car crash last year? It was just after Christmas. He was in his early 50s and had only published three books. Very sad.

Originally posted by egg_
Half way through this at the minute. It's fucking intriguing, that's what it is

For twee life lessons:

"Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom.

Once again, for the Rock 'n' Roll:
"Dear Boy: The Keef Moon Autobiography" by Tony Fletcher (I think).

I second "The Tao Of Pooh" whoever said that.

coincidentally, wor bloke is reading "austerlitz" at the moment. he says it's great - like being involved in a really intense conversation.

'The Tao of Pooh' indeedy.

'Narcissus and Goldmund' and 'Siddartha', Herman Hesse

Tom Robbins, though not so much recently. Really liked 'Still life with a Woodpecker' and 'Skinny Legs and All.'

Sublime

"Austerlitz" is sublime. The thought that the person who wrote it died some months later, still in his prime, is...

... a bleak one.

Originally posted by minka
coincidentally, wor bloke is reading "austerlitz" at the moment. he says it's great - like being involved in a really intense conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back