All that Jazz (1 Viewer)

Jimcorr said:
I've recently re-read a great book called Ghostwritten by David Mitchell.

Here I just finished reading this book yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. I'm wondering if I missed a few small details in certain chapters though because it read more like a collection of short stories loosely based around similar themes with one or two seemed to be totally unrelated, or am I thick and totaly missed the point?

Can't help out on the Jazz question I'm afraid....

I've tried jazz a few times, and by and large found it astoundingly boring. 'Kind of Blue' is pleasant background music, but that's all. John Coltrane playing 'My favourite things' is one of the most tedious things I've ever heard in my life (even though I love the original song)

Charles Mingus is kinda cool though

Latex lizzie said:
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchinanda

brilliant record.
I love this one too. Does she have other stuff that's worth picking up? I also love a Pharoah Sanders album I can't remember the name of at the minute ... Black something? Bollox .....It's got Stanley Clarke on bass but dont let that put you off .....

Hey does anyone here actually like Ascension by Coltrane? I mean really deep down like it. Not like it in a I-really-appreciate-what-he's-doing-here-its-so-radical way. I spent some time pretending to myself that I did like it and then suddenly realised that it's unlistenable muck. I do really like Sonny Sharrock's Ask The Ages.

first jazz albums I got were
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

two great records

also recommend
John Coltrane - Blue Train
more Miles [Bitches Brew / in A Silent Way / Porgy and Bess]
Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah / Mingus Mingus Mingus
more Herbie - Maiden Voyage / Sextant / Manchild / Thrust / Secrets
Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

flo jo said:
Here I just finished reading this book yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. I'm wondering if I missed a few small details in certain chapters though because it read more like a collection of short stories loosely based around similar themes with one or two seemed to be totally unrelated, or am I thick and totaly missed the point?

Can't help out on the Jazz question I'm afraid....
-------------------------------------------------------

Hey Flo Jo

As you say, it really is just a collection of stories (most of which would work fine on their own) which are linked by a web of small connections - shared acquaintances, brief encounters etc. It is well worth a second read though cause you pick up even more connections within the chapters that previously seemed unrelated. But I know what you mean all the same!

His book Number 9 Dream is excellent, in a more standard novel format, yet with dream sequences/ time delays etc, all designed to make you want to read it twice I'd imagine.

The Jazz themed love story was one of my favourites in Ghostwritten, hence my interest in hearing some of the music.

it's worth mentioning that, for people who like Bitches Brew,

'Music is rotted one note' by Squarepusher is v.good. quite similar to bitches in ways. one of his best if y'ask me

mangler said:
I got a cool Cannonball Adderley cd a couple of weeks ago - Somethin' Else. Really cool stuff. It's got Miles Davis and Art Blakey on it.

Judging from the recommended records on this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking jazz just up and died some time in the mid 70s.

If someone asked you to recommend blistering guitar music, would you suggest the Kinks? No. It'd be Watchmaker or Meshuggah or Gorguts. And for dance music, would you stop at Chic? Well, maybe...

Jazz is now an infinitely broad church with labels like ACT, Palmetto, Winter & Winter, EGEA, Tzadik, Rune Gramaphone, etc. still pushing the boundaries.

You can now hear live jazz almost every night in Dublin at the following:
Tuesday - Dirty Jazz Club, International Bar, Wicklow St.
Thursday - Boom Boom Room, Conway's, Parnell St.
Friday - Cookin at the Wellington, Baggot St. Bridge.
Saturday - Boom Boom and Wellington.
Sunday - Pendulum at JJ Smyths, Aungier St.
There are various other residencies featuring Louis Stewart, Organics, Isotope, etc around town too, but those above have ever changing programmes. Check:
www.improvisedmusic.ie
www.theboomboomroom.tv
for full details. You'll often see international acts in both BBR and JJs.

Jp.

Theres a band that play everynight in the west coast cafe on camden street, very good jazz musicians.. check it out !!

Miles Davis - in a silent way
John Coltrane - Blue Train

both got me into jazz.

Nils Petter Molvaer - great new modern jazz
www.nils-petter-molvaer.com

Charlie Parker has some cool stuff.

But if you want the socks totally blown off you get Shakti with John McLauglin - "Natural Elements" - crucial album.

Blue Note have some Psychidelic Jazz comps that are pretty cheap and good.
Ananda Shankar & Ravi Shankar for some cool Sitar stuff.

Only recently got into the free-style stuff - theres a 4-cd box set called Golden years of Soviet New Jazz vol 1. - its on Leo Records - essential(and sometimes whacked) jazz.Vladimir Rezitsky, Sergey Kuryokhin etc...

Vocal jazz - try Valentina Ponomareva, from big band to avant garde - she`s pretty amazing to listen to - shes on that box-set also.She`s been compared to Sainkho Namtchylak alot - Sainkho is touring Ireland the start of October.

Rimbaud said:
But if you want the socks totally blown off you get Shakti with John McLauglin - "Natural Elements"

I don't know this one, but recently got 'Inner Mounting Flame' and it's really excellent. Not Shakti but Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mclaughlin.

Mahavishnu Orchestra & J. Mc rule too.

I live the Shakiti album though, due to the eastern/orential sounds..tablas and stuff.
Besides it drives the ladies crazy - they be all jiggling and stuff!!.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back