all ages gig in city arts centre (1 Viewer)

mc moley said:
g1 said they'ed give us free stuff an stickers at the gig if we put a dvs or g1 banner behind the bands.....

Firstly I'm slightly drunk so forgive any typo's

Secondly the sponored by section on the flyer would be wierd but at the same time G1 are only one shop in dublin, right? DVS on the other hand are...more than likely a fucked company... But in saying that we all wear their shoes. So why not take their money and have great gigs?

Thirdly Punk is never going change anything. We can be as idealistic as we want but funny hair, bad tat's or peircings changes nothing. We can be great examples for the rest of them but...that's all we are, we are not popularising the DIY revolution, we are mearly living a life we can live with.

Therefore Fourly the only question you have to ask yourself is; can you live with a G1 logo on your flyers?

re: the skate sponsor thing...

first up, the gig, without any sponsorship of any kind, is only €3, thats affordable even for the brokest of broke bastards. why should it be cheaper? theres little difference between €3 and free.
and all G1/DVS might want you to do now is throw the odd logo on a flyer and a banner behind the bands now, but if you let yourselves get into a situation where you become somewhat financially dependent on them then who knows what could happen in the future ? i would say keep yourselves as totally INDEPENDENT as possible, try and make sure so that you and only you are in control of what your doing and no company/venue/agent/manager has any outside influence.

I've known promoters to go down the gettin gigs sponsored route and the money on offer is usually such a pittance its not worth the effort,never mind any ethical/credibility arguments.

sponsorship will never be rocknroll never mind DIY, ask Neil Young

dotn ask neil young shit, just creampie the prick.

personally i think there aint anything to worn with having the G1 banner up, they are only one shop in dublin after all, and from what i hear they aren't the worst, you just need to keep an eye on what the try make you promote, just inacse they want a big vans thingy on the wall, fuck that, but otherwise you could use the sponsorship money to get something good, put it towards a collective photocopier or collective po box address so he wouldnt all have to be fucked aorund when we change address and get post missing, well there just my ideas but you get the theme, raffle off the shoes and make some cash, put it to good use, cant really see whats wrong with that.

spuded said:
dotn ask neil young shit, just creampie the prick.

personally i think there aint anything to worn with having the G1 banner up, they are only one shop in dublin after all, and from what i hear they aren't the worst, you just need to keep an eye on what the try make you promote, just inacse they want a big vans thingy on the wall, fuck that, but otherwise you could use the sponsorship money to get something good, put it towards a collective photocopier or collective po box address so he wouldnt all have to be fucked aorund when we change address and get post missing, well there just my ideas but you get the theme, raffle off the shoes and make some cash, put it to good use, cant really see whats wrong with that.
Yeah good point,I just find sponsorship of gigs inherently naff, sure there's mom n pop companies you could try get money out of but it dilutes the rocknroll for me. Punk is a primal art form and I don't like the distraction of advertising fuckin' with me buzz. and in my experience there's no way you'd see enough cash to buy anything you mentioned. the sums involved are very small

or maybe you could just organise a benefit gig for yourself and raise the funds without having to deal with any sponsorship...

why bother to allow a company have any amount of control over what you do just because they come bearing a little cash?

say the gigs become free because G1 and DVS give you money and ask that you hang a banner behind the bands... then all of a sudden you get a call saying so-and-so shit band (or whatever) have to play the next gig or else... you dont want to and tell them to fuck off, so then you have to start charging into gigs and maybe people wont go anymore because they've come to expect something for nothing each time and will feel begrudged about now having to pay for it.
keep your hands clean, you can raise money yourselves in numerous ways.

spud why dont you go to G1 and ask for a sponsorship... you could spend the money on some grammer classes or something.

at least i'm vaguely comprehendable.

and not a chronic pedant.

that's a nice medium, i would say.

It's also fourthly not fourly. :rolleyes: :D :) :p

Ed; myself, weeler, erin and ray have put together money and gotten a collective photocopier that we wish to be a resource for the scene and anyone else for that matter. So we are offering A3 and A4 photocopying for free or donation.

Dylan; so there's an offer of free photocopying for fliers, posters,etc. So another excuse not to need to have sponsorship to pay for it.

Shorty said:
It's also fourthly not fourly. :rolleyes: :D :) :p

Ed; myself, weeler, erin and ray have put together money and gotten a collective photocopier that we wish to be a resource for the scene and anyone else for that matter. So we are offering A3 and A4 photocopying for free or donation.

Dylan; so there's an offer of free photocopying for fliers, posters,etc. So another excuse not to need to have sponsorship to pay for it.
Respect.
Punk points for that.

yeah a lot of good points raised there... tommy, they are offering us quite a lot. it'd be stupid to accept sponsorship if twas only a pitanca I agree but it's not.

damo your right in a lot of what you say but I think this:

"say the gigs become free because G1 and DVS give you money and ask that you hang a banner behind the bands... then all of a sudden you get a call saying so-and-so shit band (or whatever) have to play the next gig or else... you dont want to and tell them to fuck off, so then you have to start charging into gigs and maybe people wont go anymore because they've come to expect something for nothing each time and will feel begrudged about now having to pay for it"

is a worst case scenario. there are a lot of pluses to it. maybe instead all the money wouldnt be coming from the kids pockets but this company...so the kids have more money to do what they want with...possibly buy more independant irish records thus boosting the whole scene and providing more resources for new bands to record... Or maybe we could still charge low door entry, set up a fund goverened by a collective from the sponsorship money and provide help to projects that are struggling.
(just giving ya the other extreme)

i definately wouldnt stand for having gigs dictated by a company but even stil if I was absorbed into it Others around me would soon gimme a good kick up the arse.

do ya not think its worth a try?

whoever wants to we can have a good aul chat about it tommorrow (my minds far from closed)!

oh yeah arts centre...

well that didnt work.. soooo

p46s48.html

right see the where it says DART in a circle (Tara St. station) well move right along Georges quay there and you see Moss St. ( a continuation of the Talbot memorial bridge). Well the City Arts Centre is just on the corner there.

There wouldn't be this much of a fuss if it was for Meros/A Muslim Grocery Store/A Gay Bar/A Woman's Rights Shop. Why don't you get high and mighty on something worthwhile like cancer. Speaking of cancer, I heard Lyncher has a bad dose of it. Get well soon man.

mmm, firstly fair dues shorty, erin, weeler and ray, is it a double sided lad, or whats the buzz? also mann you really shoudl charge a small covering cost, toner is dear and those fuckers break quite easily, perhaps the G1 fund could cover that! Ahem, secondly damo i dont need 'grammer' lessons cause im not a jackeen and will never speak the queens english, i have bastardised her language which in case ya didn't relaise makes me punk as fuck.

as dylan says, if it gets too dodgy they can always pull out of it, i can see where your coming from damo but i think the plus could outweigh the bad. maybe its a cop-out, but then some holier than thou punks would say gigs in bars with bouncers, id, and corporate beers for sale would be a cop-out, then some even more right on punks would say nahh ya cant have it in a building funded by the government its gotta be a squat and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back